Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / underwater weld inspection
- - By sfroehlich Date 10-16-2008 17:49
my company is doing inspections on a job where there is going to be some underwater welding.  none of our inspectors are certified divers.  is it acceptable to have the welder weld up a couple of pieces underwater (while being viewed on a live video camera) and bring them to the surface for a visual inspection, and then do the welding underwater while on a live video camera. 
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-16-2008 19:02
sfroehlich,
  That is a good question. I do not see why not. :-) Surely someone with more knowledge of this process can give you a more definate answer though.

jrw159
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 10-16-2008 21:09
That just sounds like an excuse to go learn how to dive to me
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-16-2008 22:47
On our underwater projects we have performed remote visual inspection using an underwater camera.  The diver held the camera while the inspector watched the monitor and directed the diver on where to place it via the tender.  As far as bringing the pieces to the surface, you must be talking about test coupons.  Why else would you weld them underwater if they can be brought to the surface?  I see no problem with what you propose.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 10-17-2008 14:40
I have done the same.  In order to qualify the inspection procedure we used an ASME Sec V gray card with black line.  Then during inspection we would occasionally put the gray card in the field of view to ensure our equipment setup (lighting, camera, distance from camera to workpiece, etc) was still valid.
Mankenberg
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-17-2008 23:49
Same here, except we used 1 mil and 0.5 mil wires for sensitivity check.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / underwater weld inspection