Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Groove PJP qualification
- - By ascotti Date 10-16-2008 23:38
Good night folks,

I have a doubt on interpreting D1.1.

Is it possible to qualify a PJP weld using a butt joint with no groove preparation in a ΒΌ inch thick plate, one pass only?

According to Table 4.3, I need 3 macroetched sections for measuring E, 2 specimens for tensile test and 4 specimens for bend test. How can I have the mechanical testes performed? Shall I machine the bead reinforcements? What about machining the material thickness below the line of penetration?

Thanks a lot

Americo Scotti
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-17-2008 13:18
Maybe before you consider testing, have you looked at section 3?.
what is your base metal and filler?
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-17-2008 19:33
What Hogan said.  And in addition:

Any PJP qualification must specify the depth of penetration and the depth of preparation.  Personally, I would ensure that the depth of preparation is sufficient to get at least 90% penetration; if any load is being placed on the joint I would seriously consider a CJP design.  Just my opinion.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-17-2008 20:02
What is the process and material you are using?

I'm looking at a prequalified joint detail  B-P1c that allows a single pass PJP butt weld up to 1/4" material.
Would that not be applicable to your needs?

*note* I grabbed that out of D1.6 but I'm pretty sure the detail is identical to D1.1

I'll duck out now and let the more experienced members give their opinion
Parent - - By ascotti Date 10-18-2008 11:25
Thanks guys (hogan, bozaktwo1, Metarinka).

My problem is not exactly on how to weld. I am aware I can guaranty the resistance of a PJP weld by choosing properly the consumable and the depth of penetration (a project matter). My problem lays on how to qualify the joint. If it were a CJP weld, it would be easier, concerning the testes. However, as it is a partially penetrated, I understand that I could apply the tensile test to specimens taken from the coupon test, in which the thickness is partially fused. And measure the tensile resistance. But should I flash out the reinforcement? I could not find the procedure in the standard (D1.1). The question gets more confused concerning the bend tests. If I use the whole thickness of the specimens, which is only partially fused, it will break there. Of course, I can look for defects in the fractured surface. But, what does the standard say about that?
Thanks for any further guidance.

Americo
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-18-2008 12:18
I think your answer can be found in paragraph 4.10.4 of D1.1:2006...also Table 4.3 may be of some help.
Parent - - By ascotti Date 10-21-2008 00:41
Thank you jwright650

However, in item 4.10.4 I can see that I must use macroetch test specimen to determine the weld size of the joint. Then, the excess material shall be machined off on the bottom side of the joint to the thickness of the weld size. However, the tension and bend test specimens is pointed out to be prepared and tested as required for CJP groove welds. But no clue is given concerning either I should use the full coupon test thickness (partially penetrated) or to machine the thickness to keep only the penetrated thickness.

Regards

Americo
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-21-2008 11:04
"I must use macroetch test specimen to determine the weld size of the joint. Then, the excess material shall be machined off on the bottom side of the joint to the thickness of the weld size."-quote

There you have it, you said it yourself....if you bend the plate with the partial penetration it will most likey break/tear because of the notch where the material is not welded. When you take off that lower portion of material where it is not welded, what you have left is what you need to get the mechanicals out of to prove that the deposited material is fit for service....I hope that makes sense.
Parent - - By ascotti Date 10-22-2008 20:10
You are right. I was destracted since I did no see paragraph 4.10 which states "... A sample joint shall be prepared and the first operation shall be to make a macrotest specimen to determine the weld size of the joint. Then, the excess material shall be machined off on the bottom side of the joint to the thickness of the weld size

Problem solved. Thak you folks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2008 12:40
Let us know how the testing goes.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Groove PJP qualification