Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Matrix
- - By 100perpen (*) Date 10-21-2008 14:46
Does anyone out there have a tool for a quick visual reference of welder qualifications.
We have about 30 to 40 welders who have passed qualified tests to weld in various processes, positions and thicknesses. I'm being asked to provide our supervisors a quick visual reference tool to enable them to determine who is qualified to weld on a specific weldment knowing the process, material thickness and position(s) required for the job.
Thanks in advance!
jr<><
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-21-2008 20:25
Here is a matrix i use. Across the top where you see WPS # you can enter your own WPS numbers. you can delete all the X's and hyperlinks I have entered. I just deleted all my welder names and WPS numbers. and left the rest filled out. the hyperlinks are linked to the WPS and Welder Qual. pdf files for each welder.

Its not the best but it helps.
If you get anything better I would appreciate if you can share.
hope you have Excel  :)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-22-2008 01:02
That's a nice spreadsheet
Parent - By freewelder (*) Date 10-22-2008 07:22
This probably works well for some organizations but if I am not processing any data, I would prefer to use a simple table on a word processor. The essential variables for welding performance aren't that many; 6 or 7 max. Anyone can create a table based on Table 4.11 of D1.1.
Parent - - By 100perpen (*) Date 10-22-2008 12:00
ctacker,
After I reviewed the sheet I couldn't hit "save as" fast enough. I will keep eyes open for other tools and I WILL alert as I find them, but for now we will be using yours.
Thank you!!!!!
jr ><>
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-22-2008 12:33
You might want to think in terms of homogenizing the quals as well. Same position, same thicknesses, same continuity date, etc. This way it becomes easier to not have to look it up all of the time.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-22-2008 13:04
There are VERY few variables for a WPQ as compared to a WPS. Its my opinion that listing a welders as "Qualified for a WPS" can be grossly misleading and cause errors if that is the only criteria used.

A welder may for instance weld the PQR plate for an ASME WPS. That plate is for instance 1/2" thick, is welded in the flat position with backing. A WPS can then be written for Pipe 1/2" diameter, no backing, all positions, etc.

So the welder now has a range of qualification that is some cases does not allow him to weld a production joint in which the WPS would be qualified for. However he is allowed to use that WPS provided t he ranges for his qualifications, the WPS raqnges AND the production welding to be performed all are qualified.

In addition, the welder IS qualified for ranges outside the range for that same procedure if when he performed the test he made at least 3 layers using GTAW. That qualified him for unlimited deposited weld metal thickness.

Listing welders qualified by the procedure could work provided you ALWAYS kept the ranges of variables on the WPS limited to the same ranges used on specific tests. This could considerably limit the ranges of variables allowed by the codes.

I suggest using a list that addresses the ranges of qualification of the welder. If he meets the ranges for production he is qualified. Then someone should verify the procedure meets the needs for the production joint.  If the welder is ok for the production joint and the WPS is OK for the production joint, then the welder is OK to use that WPS on that joint.

I think many people get confused when performance and procedure ranges are overlapped. Each part has its own unique rules. With some tinkering you could list welders by procedure but you could run into problems.
Attachment: WPQqUALrANGE.jpg (385k)
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 10-22-2008 13:18
I agree with what Gerald says, with the following caveat.  It has been my experience that certain codes (NAVSEA 248 for example) require that the employer demonstrate that each welder has been trained for each WPS for which he/she is qualified.  It doesn't mean they have to specifically qualify to each one - if I have ten different FCAW WPSs for carbon steel it is possible the welder will only need one qualification test - but the employer has to be able to prove that the welder is familiar with each of those ten WPSs.

In a case such as this a matrix of the sort used by Tacker is handy.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-22-2008 14:42
I t hink the intent of that requirement can be met by training a welder how to use a WPS. Not for each individual WPS. I know that is how Mil Std 248 WAS. It may be different now. During the time I was in the Navy we were trained NUMEROUS times however training for a specific WPS was not addressed however we were trained on what the variables were etc.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 10-22-2008 14:48
Gerald,
I was stung slightly on this in an audit.  Some of it may have been due to the individual auditor.  I satisfied the auditor by drawing up a matrix as this string has discussed and used it to create required reading lists of WPSs.  I then sent these around and each welder signed the list when he/she had read the relevant WPSs.  That was satisfactory to the auditor with regards to how much training was required for each WPS, as he had a matrix that he could refer to in order to easily determine the training requirements for each welder and the signed required reading lists to determine that the training had been performed.
Mankenberg
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-22-2008 14:50
You are probably correct. It has been over 20 years since I worked under 248/278 etc. The requirements may have changed.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-22-2008 16:03
Thats not the only criteria used, I have hyperlinks that link the welder to the particular WPQ and also links from the WPS that open that WPS for viewing. and I also keep continuity logs to make sure the welder hasn't lapsed in the time limits required. The only thing I lack that I can find. on the WPQ form is to what standard(s) that the welder qualified to. Its still a work in progress. I doubt it will ever be perfect.

I have another list of all the WPS that list base metals, filler metals, positions, process etc.

when you have over 700 WPS  using different codes, and over 20 welders its no easy task keeping everything in order to quickly find a welder thats qualified to weld a certain WPS. The Matrix I posted covers our machine shop, about 70 WPS. Our Foundry has over 600 tested PQRs with WPS to match.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Matrix