Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Base plate holding aide
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-21-2008 20:11 Edited 10-21-2008 20:18
Hello once again, a bit ago I posted a tip on pipe clamping possibilities. Ctacker replied and added a comment for holding and aligning base plates when you don't have a lot of x-tra hands available. I finally managed to get some stuff together to give everyone a more visual description of how this could work. Generally I put a set of "cross hairs" on the base plate and then using these I will clamp the piece of angle iron onto the base plate allowing 1/2 the thickness of the beam web from the centerline to the face of the angle iron rest. Once I have located and drawn a centerline on the beam I will rest the baseplate onto the web of the beam using the angle iron rest and align the two centerlines and then I am ready to proceed with the tack-up portion of the fitting. Hopefully this might be something a little new for some and for other maybe a little something to make things a little bit easier that they hadn't considered before. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-22-2008 03:01
Allan, another good one.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-22-2008 03:37
very good idea there Allan
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-22-2008 12:53
Simple, Economic, Effective....

Do you train in JKD?? :-)

As always, excellent stuff Allan.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 01:30
OK Steve, what the h*ll is JKD? You'll have to enlighten the unenlightened one here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-25-2008 02:52
I was wondering the same thing!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-25-2008 10:43
Jeet Kune Do- Way of The Intercepting Fist.

Basically eclectic Martial Arts.

Bruce Lee took several martial arts & selected techniques from them that combined for a full range of fighting. From long range, to grappling, also weaponry. Most weapon techniques & concepts come from Fillipino Martial Arts (Kali, Arnis, etc.)

Bruce Lee always maintained that in order for a technique to qualify as one he embraced, having relevance, it must be Simple, Economic & Effective. In other words, it needed to work well, be simple to learn & execute with as little expenditure of energy as possible.

Your simple, economic & effective fixture meets those requirements in a sense, hence it would qualify as something embracing JKD concepts. :-)

It can really be applied to just about anything, not just self defense. I find it a privilege that I was able to share something I know with you Allan. S.W.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 18:21
Hello Steve, I did google the term and it did actually come up mentioning Bruce Lee and his form of martial arts. I guess I never did figure that I might have anything in common in that sense. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for "enlightening" me. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-25-2008 18:37
I owed you a few Allan. :-) You always have the coolest practical stuff to contribute to the forum.

Yes, Jeet Kune Do Concepts can be applied to many things you would never think. My instructor always encouraged us to look outside the realm of physical techniques & apply the same concepts in how we lived our lives.

Many people, such as yourself, do it without even realizing it. Finding the simplest, economic & effective method to perform a repair, or approach a project is a perfect example. :-)

Thanks for all the positive & upbuilding things you contribute Allan! Steve.
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 10-27-2008 02:06
Cool to see another Bruce Lee fan. You might have mentioned too, the "Economy-of-Movement" which was also one of Bruce's thing. I have been trying to perfect this way as well , with some success. The side affect is that I have gotten so good at it ("Economy-of-Movement"), that I have put on several more pounds on this short-man's indian frame than it can stand. Heh, heh, anyway, work smarter, not harder.
Be well,

Hawk
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-27-2008 02:27 Edited 10-28-2008 17:31
Cool! I have not trained in quite some time, but the concepts are just as fresh as the day I was first taught. I was so amazed at how quickly I learned & the economy of movement & energy truly set JKD apart from any other self defense I had ever seen.

I personally enjoyed the Kali portion the best. We used Edgar Sulite's LAMECO system in our training. My instructor had him in for a seminar. He was phenomenal. He was also one of the most HUMBLE & patient Martial Artists I had ever trained with. I wish I could have dropped everything I was doing to train with him. Tragically, he died later that year from a heart problem, I believe.

As you said, now my "Economy of Movement" has made me somewhat fat & lazy.... :-) S.W.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-23-2008 00:33
good to see you oil your punches, I was beginning to think I was the only one!
you can also post a pic of a burning bar, I don't have one ATM or I would.
That angle works for tubes also. you can mark the side and top(if your in a sweatshop and hurrying) or use centerlines like you have in the pics.
BTW, isn't that now a dual purpose angle? :)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-24-2008 23:47
Hey there Carl, you noticed that eh? Yes I did sort of recycle that angle and I'll see if I can find my burning bar to post that up as well. Thanks for the reminder. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-26-2008 02:13
You got it! Oil extends the life of a punch ten fold. I learned that the hard way, in a sweatshop. We used axle grease every few shots. Cool! S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Base plate holding aide