Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / EWE
- - By barbur Date 10-25-2001 19:49
I'm a metallurgical & materials engineer with a welding engineering diploma (480hr/training) from European Welding Federation & SLV München. Do I need to get a certification from AWS to work in the U. States?. And if there is an obligation to be certified, how is the certification done. Can anyone give any information related with the subject.
Thank You.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 10-25-2001 23:03
I work as a welding engineer in the United States. When I have been looking for Jobs, I do not see to many that require certification. The only ones I have seen that do require it, required a "Registered Professional Engineer", which I am not, because I do not see the demand for it. It seems that most jobs that require the "Registered Professional Engineer", are places that sell engineering services. AWS does have what they call a "Certified Welding Engineer", but I think it is fairly new, and I have never seen a requirement for it. However, that does not mean that no one ever requires it, I just haven't seen it. I do have a degree in welding engineering, and that is enough to get you in the door at most places.

G Roberts
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-26-2001 22:31
Dear Barbur,
I'm not going to answer your question, for the simple reason I'm not in a position to answer it. Rather, I'm going to ask YOU a question. You say you are a Metallurgical and Materials Engineer. Being Professor at the Materials Engineering Department of the Engineering School of Mackenzie Univesity in Sao Paulo, Brazil, may I ask you what University you graduated from? I'm very interested in getting into contact with it (i.e, its Professors), to exchange ideas and experiences. Let me know also how can I get in touch with your College (address, e-mail etc.).
Thank you very much
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2001 19:52
Barbur,

In America there is no black or white answer to your question. Your diploma I assume is validated by and fits within the structure of titles of the European Norms (ENs) and ISO. Now in the US. Many employers hold ISO certifications in high regard and others don't. Here in the US we are not so dependent on the various levels of ISO certs. In fact many of us do not realize our European counterparts have a much higher dependency on the ISO at its more stringent levels. Many Americans are still struggling with the basic corporate accountability issues in ISO 9001 if they put any efforts into ISO at all. There has been some movement over the years to come together with those across the Atlantic on the issue of standardization of qualifications in the trades but I think it's a slow business.

Many of Americas best engineers have no Diploma or Certification and many employers see no $value$ in investing in certs for a fellow already doing the job. Employers may often ask for a Diploma but will happily settle for a candidate with great experience in the trades. In America, at least as I see it. Industry is in the drivers seat ,and they don't want to see absolute regulations governing who they choose to hire.

A little groundwork on your part will help you explain to prospective American employers just exactly what your credentials mean and if indeed you require further personal efforts to qualify. Ohio State University is internationally respected in welding and welding engineering. Here is a link to the e-mail addresses of the Welding Engineering staff at Ohio State. If anybody can offer you encouragement and help you determine the value/equivilants your credentials carry in the United States, these will be the fellows. Prof. Crisi may also find this of interest I hope

http://nemjet.eng.ohio-state.edu/FACT.htm

Benedictus

Lawrence Bower
Parent - By burikg (*) Date 11-13-2001 09:01
Dear Barbur,

I am also EWE from Hungary. My company NABI produces public transportation buses for U.S. market.
Our customers demands in their specifications supervision of production by CWI.
I have got also IWE by IIW. This is good enough for U.S. market. Only problem could be if
you are not familiar with AWS/ANSI/ASME standards.
Sincerely yours, Geza Burik
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / EWE