Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / college degree and still welding
- - By stkwldr (**) Date 10-22-2008 22:27
How many of you out there on this forum have a four year college degree and still weld other than have an office job.  I graduated high school 1992 and also completed a two year welding program in 1993 (started while in HS).  Welding ever since. 13 years later I decided to go to college and received a bachelors of science in marketing (Oklahoma State, graduated Dec. 2007). I have been running my welding business for 5 years and put myself through college which I completed in 4 years.  I still have alot of people tell me,  "you have a degree now why are you still welding?" 

How many of you have experienced this? I feel that running my own business is a damm good job with lots of opportunities but every one says you cant do that forever.  I'm only 34 years old. What do you guy's think?

rs
Parent - - By dobsalot (**) Date 10-22-2008 23:10
Do what you think you should be doin, because your the one who knows what you want out of life.  I know several people who have a degree but they don't make as much money as us welders do! I enjoy welding, so I weld.  I was'nt smart enough  or financially able to go to college, I wish it had been different, but I'm happy with myself. The welding universe is infinite, with your knowledge in marketing and welding skills, you should have a successful business. Your only limited by your imagination!
Parent - By stkwldr (**) Date 10-23-2008 13:07
thanks for the reply. I have been told by some people, "your not going to get that kind of money going to work for a company."  This is after finding out what my per hour charge is. Thankfully people are willing to pay for skilled work. Right now I am happy with how things are. 

As for smarts and money, I thought the same thing you did.  But I managed to do well and graduated.

thanks

rs
Parent - By JohnJohn (**) Date 10-22-2008 23:11
I have a BS  in Animal Science and have been welding on my own almost 9 yrs. Welding helped pay for my education along the way(started in HS). I also did a stint in the Ironworkers, loved the work but could'nt survive the pay. I would'nt trade what I do for anything. A degreee to me is a piece of paper that says you survived four years (six for me) of studying and parties. I got married young so I figured I better cover all the bases.

JohnJohn
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 10-22-2008 23:17
Rick,
I graduated HS in 1989.  Went to a 9 month welding school 'til April 1992.  Welded until 2001 then I got tired of the lack of jobs and lack of money in Kansas City.  I quit working (thanks to my wife) and then  I went to DeVry until June 2004.  I received a BS in Network and Communications Management.  I tried to look for IT jobs with no luck.  I had several interviews around town with no takers.  I even stooped to the most basic help desk positions with no luck.  I finally got fed up with the whole aspect of white collar work and scored a welding job again.  Now as of Oct. 2, I am unemployed with very few prospects.

If your business is putting bread on the table and covering your student loans, I assume you have them too, then hell with the white collar world.  The vibe I got from the tight a**es in the interviews I went to where this:
     "Oh, I see you have been a..........welder for 12 years.  Have you had any other experience?
If it's going good, run with it.  Its better to run your own thing, than have someone else run you.
Parent - By stkwldr (**) Date 10-23-2008 13:00
I have been interviewing for several companies wanting to do marketing research, but everyone wants to talk and no one is hiring till maybe mid year next year.  Good thing is I have no student loans, money is steady but fortunaly for me, my wife (mechanical engineer) is manager of a contract engineering group. With her job we get all the insurance and a more stable income. Lucky.

But yes, i too get the, " where have you worked in the last five years.....oh your a welder."  I did do marketing and sales for 3 years which gave me the bug to go to school.
I moonlighted as a welder evenings and weekends. Welding is something I love doing and maybe it's where I'll stay. we'll see what the future holds.

thanks

rs
Parent - - By JHarlos (**) Date 10-23-2008 01:00
the way I see it you went to collge to get a job, and you weld for a career. Atleast, thats my position. Seems like I wasted a lot of money for college seeing as I was a welder before, during and still going. But hell, seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
Parent - By stkwldr (**) Date 10-23-2008 12:50
I did go to college to get a job but everything is really slow right now.  Interviews are coming but no one wants to hire till maybe next year. I do love welding though. The good thing is, they cannot take that degree away from me.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-23-2008 03:14
No, You can't run Your own welding business "forever", but You CAN do it for another 30-35 years. Is that long enough?
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-23-2008 13:23
I have a 2 and 4 year degree in Welding Technology and Welding Engineering.  I have a somewhat white collar job in the auto industry, and also have my own shop.  In my own shop I weld everyday and in my "real" job I don't.  It works great for me and my family.  My goal is to just run my own shop some day, but for now the "real" job covers the health and retirement that some self employed have to pay out of their pocket and profits.  I started my shop 8 years ago because I missed the hands on welding and fabricating.  So I guess to answer your question, why not run your own business until you don't feel the reward or passion to do it, then fall back on your education to carry you later in life.  It's like any job, if you don't look forward to going to work everyday then change it up and do something else.  If you work for yourself until your 70 and don't ever loose that passion then I guess you have no reason to change and use that education.  In then end you need to do what ever makes you and your family happy, that's all, who cares what everyone else thinks or says about it.  Family is the true factor that really matters and sometimes the challenges of running your own business can stress that.  Some people only want to work 8 to 5 everyday and they are happy with that, others feel like they are just spinning their wheels working for the man.  In the end it all goes back to being happy and having a good life with your family.
Parent - By OsageOil (*) Date 10-23-2008 14:42
Nice post stkwldr.  I graduated from Oklahoma State over twenty years ago and have been involved in the welding field one way or another (helper, pipefitter, welder) ever since.  When I finished college, jobs weren't really easy to come by and I was able to get a job with a local contractor as a helper.  I too heard many of the comments "Why would a college boy want to get into this type of work?   The fact was I was taught (like many others on this forum) there were no free rides in life and I didn't see any sense trying to find my way with prospective employers who "might" find a place for me in their organization or system.  I thought it better to continue learning and get paid while doing it in a field that would reward one for skill and work vs. an annual review and completion of an annual objective list.  I have no regrets and having a degree may not have necessarily provided a big boost, but it hasn't hurt either.  The great thing about this field as you know is there are always opportunities to learn.

It has always amazed me how folks with a little bit of education often look down on those with not as much.  I have worked with and around people with eighth grade educations or maybe quit high school who had more skill in two fingers than others did with both hands.  Often times the same ones had more common sense than others way up the food chain.

Good luck with your business.  
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-23-2008 14:48
I have a BS Welding Engineering Technology and I still weld.  I guess that is expected.  Actually, most of the time I am a desk jockey, but I weld all our new hardware to qualify the weld procedures.  It is something I always look forward to since I enjoy hands-on work.  To be fair though, it is all computerized orbital welding, so the machine does the actual skill work.  They always try to give me credit for inputting the right parameters though.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 10-23-2008 15:26
I am proud to say that I am a structural engineer with over 30 years experience.  I've designed everything from bridges to high-rises.

And you know what?  I am on this forum because people here know more than I do.  Plain and simple. 

Bob Garner
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-23-2008 15:40 Edited 10-23-2008 20:48
Obewan where did you earn your degree?

I'm currently a senior in a welding engineering technology degree and very soon I'll be deciding on the type of job I want. I love welding and don't wan't to give it up but I like the science and engineering side too. There was a career day here recently and there were some pipeline outfits recruiting heavily for 4 year Welding engineers to come on as welders to move up to foreman etc. It would be very tempting to me, save for the fact that I dislike stick welding.

ultimately I want to do something like MDG and the first thing I'll be setting aside a chunk of my paycheck to buy tools
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 10-23-2008 15:51
Metarinka, Do you mean chunk of your paycheck...and not junk :)
BTW, if you want to stop in some time and see my new shop when it's complete you're more than welcome.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-23-2008 20:53
oops let that mistake get out. My mother has a Masters in Reading education so I always had high levels of expectation for grammar and spelling.
Thanks Mark, I'll definately take you up on that offer I'll give you a shout next time I'm in MI
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-23-2008 15:52 Edited 06-23-2014 18:44
My degree is from LeTourneau.  The thing to think about with pipeline work is living on the road and traveling a lot.  I am sure the pay is pretty good.  I like being at one plant every day and having a regular routine long term.  If I was not in the turbine business I would pick nuclear fuel fabrication.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-23-2008 20:55
Yah I don't plan on taking a job as a pipeliner but I know several of my Welding engineering classmates are considering the jobs seriously. I still haven't decided yet what exactly I want to go into. I like my current job but I dislike being in a cubicle 90% of the time. I'm looking towards field work, be it inspection or engineering or anything else that lets me get my hands dirty on occasion.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 10-27-2008 02:13
Master of Science in Animal Science. Weld more than I do anything else.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 10-27-2008 14:13
Welding and marketing should work well together, lots of guys struggle with that end of it, some education might be a huge asset provided you have a real understanding of marketing. I know a couple with degrees in biz and marketing,,, was a waste for them, they still never got it.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / college degree and still welding