Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 1/2" weld fillet on 1" plate
- - By brian seering Date 10-23-2008 03:52
simple question I have concerning the number of passes that should be used in making the above mentioned weld.  I live in Oshkosh Wi and if you don't work for Oshkosh Corp (a defense contractor) you do work for them as they farm a lot of work out.  Previious employer stated it was the desire of Corp. to make this weld, 1/2" on 1" plate, in one pass with lots of oscillation and no cold lapping.  New employer says that the weld can be made in two or more passes.  Is one method better than the other,:  assume that both are sprayed, mig s wire, .035
Parent - - By JohnJohn (**) Date 10-23-2008 12:27
IMHO more passes are better unless you are using a big wire (1/16 or 5/64). Go to the welding supply and buy a fillet gauge. They are about $25 and they settle any arguments about weld size. I would guess 3 passes with that size wire depending on how the machine is set, travel speed etc.

JohnJohn
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-23-2008 16:22
Brain,

The Structural Welding Code allows prequalified 1/2" single pass fillets in the vertical position using the SMAW process, or the flat and vertical positions using the GMAW or FCAW process..... with more restrictions when using A588 steel. 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-23-2008 16:41
Along with what swnorris has stated. You are allowed to make the weld in 1 pass or multi pass. If the customer has a preference that I would go with a wps for that. Reasons for one over the other would be production or heat input.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 1/2" weld fillet on 1" plate