Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Update on weld a type of steel, below
- - By Nate Date 10-26-2001 14:54
I welded the backhoe part with 7018. I got the 4 bushings and 3 pieces that broke off welded back in place. I dug a hole about 25ft x 8ft x 4ft deep. The rock is at 4ft. Everything seems to be ok, but I took it easy.

My next question. If I weld mild steel pate over the welded area(for strenght), will this weaken the part any? I was thinking of plating over the welds and around the bushings. It would look better, if nothing else.

Thanks for your comments. And thanks Guy and others for advice on the first part. I have pics, but don't have 'em stored yet.

Nate
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-26-2001 16:41
It's hard fpr anyone to give you a good answer without knowing exactly what you have and where you want to add a plate. What I can suggest is that if you want to do some research, get a copy of Lincoln's "Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding". It's a full size book of about 400 pages or so and the cost is about $20 with the distributor's mark-up. I think you can even get it online for $15. (Check the Lincoln Electric website)
It won't answer everything for you but you will find sections addressing designing of weldments. The book is written so that you don't need your dictionary open at the same time. I think it might give you some ideas on where and where not to place welds and some reasons why. (No, I don't get a commission for plugging the book, but it has helped me.)
Hope it helps,
CHG
Parent - By Nate Date 10-26-2001 17:54
OK Thanks. I just wasn't sure about the cast steel properties. I was a welder for many years on pipe, structure and plate. However, I never dealt with cast steel.

I don't know where I came up with Guy. It was you that I was referring to CH.
Parent - By - Date 10-26-2001 22:17
In your type of application, fatigue will always be an issue. This means that wherever you weld, you will have to keep the design requirements for fatigue service in mind.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Update on weld a type of steel, below