Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What a ride!!
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 13:04
Now thats an adrenaline rush!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ztgn6IrpoU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHWu0tWiSM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiddU50skf8&feature=related

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 10-24-2008 13:27
Yeah I saw this, or one like it, the on Travel Channel.  It looks ridiculous.  I would need a clean pair of drawers waiting at the bottom for me. LOL
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 13:29
I saw it on the Travel Channel as well, on the roller coaster special. I can't wait to try it. LOL :-)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2008 14:24
Not unless I'm at gunpoint
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 14:35
LOL, Aw come on Lawrence, that big net will catch you, and if it doesn't I am sure they will refund your money. :-)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2008 14:43 Edited 10-24-2008 14:47
I hate carnival rides... Don't even like the Ferris Wheel.... nope

It's all tied into my very short lived apprenticeship with Iron Workers in the early 1980's... Saw two fellows plummit, one was 40 feet and the other 70... All in a two week span.  My nerve left me quickly and soon I was crawling on the perlins that I was formerly able to skip on... The forman suggested politely that I may no longer be cut out for that particular type of work...... See I'm a victem  :)   My fear/chickenhood is justified  :)

When my sons were young.. We would go to the State and County Fairs every year...  I considered it my fatherly duty to go with them on any scary ride no matter how much I hated it... Call it sacrificial love.

My passive agressive revenge was to point out all the cracked welds and improper bolting on the rides to anybody who would listen... You want a thril?  You like danger?  ok.. Let me add to your pleasure.

Now I'm an old grandpa and that duty falls upon my sons... I will gladly take them to the fair and eat corndogs and pay for their admission to the demolition derby... But  not the scary rides.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 14:53 Edited 10-24-2008 14:57
Lawrence,
  I can sure understand that, and I know exactly what you mean about the weld quality of some, if not most, of these rides. It sure adds to the rush when you look over and see the undercut on the top leg and massive lack of fusion (roll over) on the bottom leg, combined with the porosity running rampant throughout, that is if the slag was even removed for inspection. LOL

You did your time so now you can pass the torch. Show this video to the grand kids, and watch your son's eye's as the kids yell, "We gotta try that Dad!!!"  It is now their turn. :-)

I can just imagine, "HE** NO, I am going to get a corn dog!!"

jrw159

EDIT: So I just read your edit, and that is even more understandable than just a natural fear of heights. Let me also add that a fear of heights can be considered a healthy fear. I have seen some pretty nasty falls from derricks, two resulting in fatality, and it sure changed my actions and ways of thinking.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-26-2008 02:38
I was able to go on top of the North tower of the Mackinaw Bridge here in Michigan in 1995. It's top tower point is 550 feet off the water. Scared the heck out of me. I hate heights!

Still, I would never have passed the opportunity up!! My mom worked for MDOT & knew one of the chief maintenance engineers. He took us up. They did a segment on the bridge on Dirty Jobs awhile back. That's where we were!!

I would enjoy this, as much as I hate heights. It's relatively safe....I guess. :-)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-27-2008 23:20
I was driving down I35E south and noticed that they have erected one of these at one of the local "thrill centers" it has the slingshot ride and the big wheel as well as a few others. I saw the new (to this location) tower and the double net catch system.

I am going as soon as I get a chance. It will be my oldest son and I since my wife is scared and I am sure they will not let my 4 year old go with me or by himself. LOL

I will have her do the video documentation and will post it when it happens. Notice I said when and not if. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-27-2008 23:25
Lucky you........... :-) be sure to tell us how it goes. :-)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-27-2008 23:39
I hope to be able to show you how it goes. If I don't post it here then you can look for it on the newest edition of "When wild rides go bad" LOL

Either way it should be entertaining. :-)  SPLAT!!!!

jrw159
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-28-2008 00:42
AHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! :-)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 15:38
"My passive agressive revenge was to point out all the cracked welds and improper bolting on the rides to anybody who would listen... You want a thril?  You like danger?  ok.. Let me add to your pleasure."-quote.........way too funny!

I'm right there with ya Lawrence.....a natural fear of heights keeps me grounded.

I did manange to talk myself into riding the Texas Chute Out at Six Flags over Texas....where you ride in a swing with a small piece of decorative dog chain laying across your lap....they reel in the cable to take you 33 stories into the air....I mistaking thought I could get a moment to catch my breath at the top and look around at the scenery, but as soon at the cable clicked at the top...you free fall until you are about two stories off the deck and then they slow you down.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-28-2008 04:29
Yeah but not knowing when your gonna hit the net, I'd hate that. I'd rather see the net coming toward me than waiting to hit it blindly.  But,still wouldn't do it. Maybe 35 years ago but not today.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-28-2008 14:02
Im with you on that call. I think the rush would be ten times more falling face down and seeing the earth rush towards you. :-)
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What a ride!!