Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / phased array/ UT training
- - By david bean (**) Date 10-24-2008 14:11
Greetings

I am CWI and a QC Manager  in Las Vegas Nevada,  I am interested in getting in the NDT field and was wondering if anyone knew of any classes in my area, or if someone could point me in the right direction?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-24-2008 14:48
I would recommend GE Inspection Technologies.....they produce a very good phased array unit.

Phased Array
Full course description Register for training Back to top
Dates Location Cost
December 9 - 11, 2008  Salt Lake City, UT $900

http://www.geinspectiontechnologies.com/en/training/course_list.html#pa
Parent - By Jim12 (**) Date 11-01-2008 16:28
I live in Winnemucca and attended the school mentioned in salt lake for UT, Instructor is very good.
Parent - - By david bean (**) Date 11-06-2008 23:02
cool guys, thanks for the info. say i pass the class and test, is their on the job training necessary?
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 11-08-2008 08:21 Edited 11-08-2008 08:26
Hi David

Good luck and good learning with the course, if you decide to go ahead. I noticed nobody has responded to your post for a couple of days so I'll give you my opinion based on the little biography you have given plus GE's own brief course description:

"Course covers Glossary of terms, Technical overview of Phased Array principles and imaging concepts.  Brief details of equipment, benefits, etc."

You are interested in NDT - great start especially as you have associated experience in weld inspection and QA/QC. But have you spoken with any of the UT techs you should have encountered? I am certain the honest ones would tell you that even after a standard minimum initial formal training period for Level II shear wave testing of 3 weeks on a basic pulse-echo A-scan UT set, at the beginning of their careers if asked to assess a production butt weld they needed assistance and guidance from an experienced hand. The only stupid question is the unasked question!

So the answer is a resounding yes - anybody will need further on-the-job training to become adept at PA operation. I'm a manual UT hand who moved into AUT and gained some formal training/experience and qualification of working on PAUT through PipeWizard. I am now mainly office based but I am thinking of going through the necessary 2 weeks of formal PA training leading to the EN473 PAUT qualification. Its treated as a separate qualification, as is TOFD, with its own full training, experience and examination requirements which sit on top of the prerequesite for Level 2 manual UT before you can sit any exam. And so that I would not be put in any ethical dilemma I would want to work alongside an experienced PA tech for a while before considering myself fully capable of independence.

Now this is not meant to deter you at all, rather to encourage you to get the right amount of training before production activity so that you can at least talk sensibly with any future mentor - I am certain many experienced technicians have shaken their heads in disbelief at the lack of knowledge of those newly-qualified and hired who are pushed out into the shop or field by management with a labor shortage problem.

To reiterate - good luck, David
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-08-2008 08:31
Nigel, I am not an nde guy and have no desire to do the hands on nde work, but my company has a need for PA in near term future and I've very curious how diffcult it is to get calibration blocks manufactured and validated?  My QA counuter-part is telling me the manufacturing and validation of the calibration blocks and techniques could take months!!! :-0

We're doing ASME B31.3 High Pressure Piping works here in Kazakhstan and it's mix of ASME and EN standards governing the nde.
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 11-08-2008 09:23
Wow that was a rapid response Jon! KZ is an old stamping ground of mine and I know how difficult it can be to get anything done!

Are the butts going to be tested with manual phased array using DAC's and standard acceptance  criteria or automated PAUT using Code Case 2235-9.

With B31.3. for piping it should be ASME V Article 4 for the UT. Paragraph T-434.3/Fig 434.3  Piping Calibration Blocks calls for " a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule. The block size and reflector locations shall be adequate to perform calibration for the beam angles used." The figure shows the longitudinal and transverse notches required. A reasonable machine shop should be able to produce those once you have the pipe sections. Have them thoroughly UT tested prior to acceptance for machining to ensure no material anomalies. Once machined its just a dimensional check and a shear wave inspection to ensure that acceptable DAC curves can be derived.

Its a different matter if you are going the 2235-9 route as then you WILL need to calculate the requirements for your performance demonstration qualification blocks and have them manufactured with the calculated maximum allowable flaw size derived from material thickness. There is some available literature on the web on PD's which may help you.

I dont know where your EN requirements come in, but in EN 1714 there is a choice for sensitivity setting - 3mm side-drilled holes, DGS diagrams for the probe used or 1mm deep rectangular notch. No specific calibration block size/shape requirements like ASME as far as i am aware (please correct me if I am mistaken), but then for high-integrity lethal service H2S plant shouldnt the maximum possible effort be expended to ensure the integrity of the joint. I think the ASME calibration block requirement in such a case is sensible as sensitivity-setting is performed in similar beam propagation/reflection circumstances as in the production welds (without any effects from the weld and HAZ itself, naturally).

Hope this helps Jon.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-08-2008 09:47
Thanks, I've left work for the day and will have to get back to you on those questions but I believe they wish to use automated and will have to double check my specs to see which EN... that bit may only be operator quals.  We're you in Tengiz or?
Parent - By ndeguy (*) Date 11-08-2008 10:11
Yes, personnel certification would explain the EN (473) connection.

I worked 3 years for ENI/KPO at Aksai. One of my managers at KPO was Iraj Baseri who swapped positions with Joel Bourquin from TCO. That was early 2007. Have you been there long? Do you know him - give him my regards if so please - but he could never get his head around the fact that familiarly I am known by my middle name - like J Arthur - lol!!! and he would insist (accidentally on purpose?) on calling me John, perhaps he mistook me for a "rest room"!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / phased array/ UT training