Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / State test vs. AWS Cert????? In W.Va.
- - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 10-25-2008 12:21
Hello,

What is the deal with testing???? I looked on this site to find places to take my cert tests.The local trade school has a evening class so I took it. So far I have passed SMAW Plate,SMAW 6g (7018) and SMAW 6g (6010) All on my first try. Also I can't believe that they let people take the plate test with a backing strip.I took mine the old way with 1/16 gap and face,6010 and then the 7018.The Instructor said that He should be on AWS,I informed him that the school was not, And he said that,(THEY)the school didn't pay the dues to AWS or something.My main deal is that The state test is only good for 1 year,then I'll have to take it over. And I weld everyday have my own truck/business.So far the class was $375 each test was $100.So now I have $675 in certs that only last a year.....I didn't have any, just tring to better myself.

Any Ideas...Can WV state test become AWS????If the instructor is AWS CWI?????
Thanks Tom K.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 19:11
Hello Tom, you threw out quite a few different questions and all of them have some wide implications. To address one of them: you said that you didn't understand why "they" would allow a plate test to be taken with a backing bar and felt that they should be done open root with E6010 and then filled and capped with E7018 like the one that you had taken. There are numerous code bodies that have jurisdiction over various areas of fabrication and welding. This is why we have so many different types of tests. In the example that you just gave the E6010/E7018 plate test would probably qualify you for certain types of boiler/storage tank/tank work. It would not however, qualify you to weld on most structural steel applications due to the many E70 series electrode requirements for the structural work. Here again there are even variations in these instances. Many of the certifications are company specific, they are only valid while in the employment of a specific company. Some of the other certifications are possibly transferable from company to company, yet the companies that might accept this sort of certification will also likely perform an in-house test of their own to verify the capabilities of the individual and only after satisfying this requirement will they accept the cert. Some types of work require mandatory testing after certain periods of time, others use a continuity log system to allow the cert to remain in effect. It all depends on the specific industry and the governing code body.
     Referring specifically to your certifications that you took at the school, you may want to investigate them a little more closely, they may very well remain in effect beyond the 1 year period if you can verify through a work log system or some other form of continuity record that you have been continually welding with the process. It is often a little bit more difficult for the self-employed welder to maintain a certification. without going through a number of hoops that company employed welders don't need to concern themselves with.
     You had also inquired about the AWS testing facilities. When schools and other facilities show-up on the AWS's     testing site listing it is due to them registering and paying a fee for membership. It doesn't mean that other facilities can't or don't do testing in accordance with AWS code, it only means that they probably won't show up on the AWS database for testing facilities.
     When you are out bidding, working, and welding during the course of your everyday work you have likely run into situations where a particular job requires a certain certification. In order to work on that job you have to go in and perform a certification test to be "qualified" to do that type of welding, this might be an AWS cert. ASME, API, MIL, ABS, or possibly others. Many of your jobs probably don't even require a "certified" welder to perform the work. In the instances where the work does is when you have to know which code applies and which certification you need to have in your possession to do the work. An independent is certainly faced with a much greater task concerning compliance with codes/certifications than most company type welding businesses. I say that because you have to be the total package and probably don't have others helping you to keep track of all of these different facets of the work. I'm sure others will chime in here and add a host of additional information to the small bit that I already have. So keep your eyes open and look for some more. Best regards, aevald 
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2008 21:19
Tom,

Anytime you are on a job that has excepted any of your current certs, make sure you get the special inspector to sign and date an update form that you can find on this site or make up yourself, even just sign,date, and stamp the back of your current certs.  This will verify through an outside, independant source that you are continually using the process that you are certified with.  If they have used UT or RT get a copy of the report and put it in a file with all your original cert papers.

We have to update our papers with the city inspectors offices in our area as well as keeping the special inspectors and any CWI's that are involved updated as to our qualifications and their current status.  Keeps us from actually retaking tests every time we turn around.

I believe I am correct in my interpretation that the employer can update papers by dating and signing a form stating you have continued usage of the process that you certified with & to the standard (WPS, etc.) conformed to every six months. But when you are self employed it looks much better when you have lots of outside documentation verifying your continued quality of work. However, they take my word for it (continuity of usage) most of the time.  But we are in a small community and are pretty well known by all the inspectors.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-25-2008 23:37
Hello again Tom, to add just a bit more. If you are a one-man show it is likely that you will specialize somewhat in the welding services that you offer. I only say this based on the need for various certifications to do various types of work. It wouldn't make sense to try to maintain a particular certification if you only use it on a very limited basis. It might also not make sense to go out and get a particular certification if the job you are doing doesn't include the cost and time for gaining the necessary certification on top of making a decent profit from the work. Brent included some very good information for maintaining certs from an owner/operator perspective, hopefully others might also add their points of view or geographically controlled differences. Best regards, aevald 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / State test vs. AWS Cert????? In W.Va.