Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Crane Training
- - By ctacker (****) Date 10-26-2008 06:52
Just had a 1 day seminar at my workplace for crane rigging, had to run off the instructor after the first day of classes. he was very unprofessional and deameaning to the women in our shop. 1 in particular, he would keep asking to have her make copies and watching her ass the whole time she was on her feet, also commenting to everyone about how nice it was. he was calling black people tarbabys and indians wagon burners among other names for other races( we even had some of the races he was putting down in the seminar).
He also said the workers at another one of our facilities were a bunch of backwoods idiots.
The guy talked alot about his tavern experiance and the barmaids, and how he wanted to finish his work so he could go try for some salmon in the nearby rivers.

The guy was very knowledgable and I learned alot(I learned how to calculate eyebolt sizes and shackle, chain sizes etc.) but he went so fast only about 5 of the 20 in the class were able to keep up.
He then gave an exam that you had to pass, he said no one would be left behind. by that he encouraged everyone to cheat and gave the answers but told everyone to not write hard on the paper and have an eraser around. everyone passed with a 100%. except me, and I would believe after 30 years I would be somewhat smarter than some of the rookies that never touched a crane and or worked in a shop before.
This is the fourth such class I have taken in my career and every one of them you have a test and everyone gets a chance to change their answers before turning them in.

Is this the norm? somehow I feel everyone is getting shortchanged and the instructor is getting a trip across country paid so he can enjoy the nightlife and fishing experiance.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-26-2008 19:35
ctacker,
Good for you sir.
There are so many things wrong with the instructor I won't try to cover them all.
1st off, he was sexist and racist. That is not professional and is insulting to the class.
Not to mention the discrimination and harassment law suits that can result.
I've encountered like minded instructors as some of them think ALL blue collar workers are low class and conduct the class accordingly.

IMO they are a dieing breed and most younger replacements will not be allowed to stay employed with that attitude.
It's not asking too much to be knowledgeable AND professional.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-26-2008 21:12

>IMO they are a dieing breed and most younger replacements will not be allowed to stay employed with that attitude.
>It's not asking too much to be knowledgeable AND professional.

true, It surprises me even more that this guy was ready to retire, and said he does 4-5 seminars a month. and has been doing it for years.
The majority thought he was funny, I even laughed a few times, but there were a few in class that were insulted by his remarsks, and to me that is very unprofessional.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 11-04-2008 23:44
Is he independent or does he work for someone else?  If he works for someone else, you should complain so that the next group of customers don't get ripped off with someone so unprofessional.  Amazing that there are still people like that out there.  (And still more amazing that there are people who claim sexual and racial discrimination no longer exist in this modern age.)
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-05-2008 01:19
He works for a MAJOR company near where Lawrence lives! He came out for a week of classes and only made it through 1 class before our plant supervisor called his company and said he was no longer allowed on the premises! Haven't heard of the outcome!
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-06-2008 15:54
That is a terrible situation.  You would figure that he would realize how important his classes are. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxM83_hHJC8
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Crane Training