Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI
- - By young Date 10-27-2001 17:08
I would like to become a CWI but I don't know what all is required and how to go about getting my certification. I have been welding for 4 1/2 years. Will that experiance help me?
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 10-27-2001 22:17
It was a little over a year ago when I was in the same situation you are now. The first thing you need to do is call AWS and order a copy of AWS QCI, this is the Standard for Qualification and Certification of Welding Inspectors. They will send it to you free of charge with just about every thing you will need to get started. Then you need to see if you have the required amount of experience. If so, order some sudy material from the product catalog and get to it.

Good luck
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-27-2001 22:58
Follow the advice of the other response, only ask for a "CWI Packet" which includes everything you need to get started with your certification (QC1, visual acuity form, etc.) Good Luck with your exam.
Parent - - By don (**) Date 10-29-2001 20:03
You might also look into the seminars put on by AWS. Click on EDUCATION. I attended on in indianapolis this last summer. Monday we covered D1.1. Tuesday - Friday we covered inspection, qualification and testing. Took the test on Saturday. If you do this I would STRONGLY suggest you get your paperwork sent in early, AWS is VERY unorganized it seems. They are very departmentalized and it takes a while for them to process things. Request your books, D1,1 and the Visual Inspectors book to be mailed to you as soon as you can get them. Then study before attending the school. This will help ALOT. Just familiarize yourself with the sections of D1.1 (this part is open book, but dont write in it or they wont let you use it in the test) Go through the Visual Inspectors book and highlight all you want (this part is closed book)
Parent - By BCSORT (*) Date 10-30-2001 00:44
Yeah, you can spend $1,500 + to take the AWS seminar and only have 5 days to learn what you need to pass or you can buy the books and study yourself for less than $600 and take as long as you need. I did all of my studying in less than 6 months and passed very easily. Besides, with only four and a half years of experience you got six months untill you can send in your application anyway.
Parent - By Baker (*) Date 11-01-2001 17:23
Check http://www.welding.org
There is an information request form there and you may request CWI information. You will receive a packet of information that will answer your questions. Or feel free to call 1-800-332-9448, ext. 5090 and request a free CWI packet.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI