Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Sliding Calculators
- - By NDTIII (***) Date 10-27-2008 22:57
Does anyone remember the old days when we had those UT sliding calculators for plotting indications on the spot?

Does anyone know where I can purchase them these days? I'd like to get my hands on one of them.
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 10-27-2008 23:15
I have one and use it every day. Olympus (was Stavely) makes it. Their number is 509-735-7550. I just odrerd a couple more of them and the sales lady said that they changed them a bit, still waiting to see how much.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-28-2008 02:36
trapdoor,

Would you let us know the differences in the new ones?  I have 3 or 4 of the older ones, with very worn sleeves.

I like the permant record of the sketch notebook we talked about earlier, but when I use the Stavley plotters, I photocopy the sketch and scan it so it stays with the job file.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 10-29-2008 02:03
They should be in the mail now. I will thr and post a pic when they get here.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 10-29-2008 11:22
Trapdoor, are they the type of calculators where you can actually plot the indications? Draw the weld profile and angles on it?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-28-2008 11:06
I have two K.Kramer models, unfortunetly I can't sell them.
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 10-28-2008 15:12
I made my own.
I'll have to go out to the truck and retrieve and snap a pic.  I will post it later.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 10-28-2008 16:12
I contacted our local Olympia rep. and he hasn't heard of them, only ET slide calculators.  I didn't see any at olympusndt.com
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 10-28-2008 19:26
The ones we're talking about are not the sound path, surface distance & depth calculators.....With these, you use an erasable marker.  They have a center card with the index point of a transducer in the corners.  You draw the sound path for the particular material thickness (you can draw all three legs if the material is thin enough)  The outer sleeve is clear and you draw the weld joint on it.  By sliding the inner card back and forth you get a visual of your scan.

They are pretty neat and I have always wondered why they are not more popular.  I think mine are either Nortec or Stavley.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-28-2008 20:45
I prefer the SP SD and D versions. Drawing the centerline does not take into account beam spread and other factors. In saying that, I knew which ones your refering to. KKB put one of those out as well.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 10-29-2008 01:11
Sounds like your talking about what I know as a transparent skip chart.  I thought you were talking about a slide rule/calculator to figure things like SP, SD, V-path/leg lengths, etc...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Sliding Calculators