Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / French President?
- - By js55 (*****) Date 10-29-2008 12:40
Did anybody catch the statments of the French President (I think it was) about Obamessiah. My wife just caught the tail end of it and wasn't clear on the details.
Something about him stating that he was all for Obama until he met him. And then his impression changed to one of thinking him immature and too willing to capitulate to Iran.
Can someone fill in the details on this?
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-01-2008 21:00
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1031943.html

A quote from the above article:

Sarkozy has made his criticisms only in closed forums in France. But according to a senior Israeli government source, the reports reaching Israel indicate that Sarkozy views the Democratic candidate's stance on Iran as "utterly immature" and comprised of "formulations empty of all content."
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 13:13
Thanks uphill. Its confirmed. And  if one doesn't like this foreign policy stance you sure ain't gionna like the rest of it.
Lord allmighty, how bad does it have to be to get the French to criticize. Although, Sarkozy seems stronger than most, by far.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-03-2008 14:31
The French condemning anyone for being "too willing to capitulate" is a bit rich.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't a lot of Sadaams arsenal of weapons (including chemical) supplied by French companies.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 15:40
Shane,
You are correct. They did. However, my opinion is that Sarkozy is less capitulative than most we are used to seeing in power in France. Sarkozy, at least as far as foreign affairs is concerned, from what I've gathered, was a decided swing to the right. Though I would suspect still not as hawkish as we. But still being, French, as you say, only lends more credibility and urgency to the statement.
Saddam also got stuff from the Russians, and even some older stuff from us when they were at war with Iran. Some conveniently forget that.
Though France, beginning to realize its own radical fundamentalist Islam problems, due, a great deal to its historical and intimate relations with Algeria,  may be starting to wake up.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 16:40
It's rich alright, but the supply by the french in the beginning, as well as others is the political reason "no WMDs" were found in Iraq in the most recent incursion.
Why it just would'nt due to have an ally blamed for facilitating the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians. Not to mention the weapons supplied by the US.
All in all, it would be a public relations nightmare of the truth of what and who supplied those WMD's were to ever meet the daylight.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-03-2008 17:35
thats why we never found the WMDs they either were missing all together or the paper trail led  to a supplier that would cause a huge uproar if exposed.
MDK
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 11-03-2008 17:04
Are you referring to the same French President your Republican Vice Presidential candidate thought she was talking to for 7 minutes?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 17:26
Yes, indeed, that was great.  One might think that the campaign would have a little better control over the campaign.
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 11-03-2008 18:09
I guess her campaign vetts phone calls the same way the old guy vetted her.

Just 1 more day then they'll both disappear  forever.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-03-2008 17:43
Ya Talk about being ignorant of ones surroundings.............she is almost as bad as the man who spent 20 years listening to a man spew garbage for a pulpit only to see the light after the common folk got a hold of the video.................................this man is living in a fantasy world running around like Mr. magoo completely unaware of things or he's simply full of Goat crap!
And............how about the coal comment?
MDK
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 18:14
I guess no comment on the Sarkozy statement from our liberal friends. Easier to a try and make a totally unrelated point.
Not surprising since a recent polling of Ostriches has revealed Obamessiah leading with a considerable margin.  :)
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-03-2008 18:15
WELL U KNOW OBAMMAS SAYING..................VOTE EARLY AND OFTEN.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 19:52
Actually, that is a very old political joke.  I know old guys that said that is what Truman said.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 11-03-2008 18:18
Does anyone, besides you, care what the French say about anything?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 20:27
Now look who's demonstarting isolationist arrogance. Like I said give a liberal long enough and he'll argue himself into a circle.
Besides, do you really believe Sarkozy would be the only one who would think this?
C'mon. Obama is a foreign relations adolescent.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 20:31
Concerning Obama;

You can dip it in chocolate as many times as you like and put all the sprinkles on it that it will hold, but at the end of the day it will still be what it is.

jrw159
Attachment: 3417.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 11-04-2008 00:27
I guess that's the neo-cons reply to "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-04-2008 02:06
Exactly. :-)

While we may disagree on presidential canidates, we can agree that "A spade is a spade."

jrw159 :-)
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 11-03-2008 18:20
Funny how the world is tilted in their view. As they say you are what you eat. If all you believe is one sided and arnt willing to explore the whole truth you cant expect normal conversation from them. I know no-one who gets madder than a nut. Liberals only want hand-outs not hands-on.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 18:31
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/32145/france_clearly_wants_obama_in_white_house

On Oct. 30, an official communiqué from the French embassy in Israel clarified the position of French president Nicolas Sarkozy and Obama on how to deal with Iran. The statement read: "The in-depth discussions between [Sarkozy and Obama] on Iran during their meeting in Paris in July demonstrated a broad convergence of views on this issue. [Both] agree to oppose Iran's development of a military nuclear capability."

This is the an official quote that I found.  The initial "story" was hearsay, from an Israeli newspaper. 

Now all of a sudden, people actually care what France has to say?   Sarkozy has been palling around with Putin, you know, "I see K G B in his eyes."  I care much more about what Iran has to say than Sarkozy.  I would like to hear from his old lady though, but she's Italian.

Sitting down with someone, is much better than standing up and fighting with them.  "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." -Vito Corleone
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-03-2008 20:31
"This is the an official quote that I found."
Well. You're partly correct. Its an official quote from a diplomatic embassy with ambiguity big enough to drive a nuclear submarine through. Hence, the 'unofficial' quote, which is obviously closer to the truth.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 18:38
Way back in January, President Obama said this, "So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can -- it's just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."

Coal sucks, if we continue "business as usual" then nothing will get better.  Hopefully with a more progressive energy policy, more jobs will be created in the replacements for the coal industry.  Its one of America's necessary evils, coal, but with the promise of the other ecofriendly generation systems, there will be more jobs to be filled by the ones that will be out of work. 

Barack will win the election.  Be inaugurated Jan. 20, I don't think that the whole coal industry will be shut down on Jan. 22nd.  Calm down.  "Everything gonna be alright."
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-03-2008 19:12
I will cut and save that  "Everything gonna be alright."
Im not so sure, that it will remember we are about to elect a man who feels that the usa has no right to use the energy we buy as we want , cares more about how the rest of the world feels we should live.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 19:14
Energy rights?  Thats a new one.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-03-2008 19:39
yes I pay for it i use it, ill keep my kids warm at nite 70 deg if i want! unlike most americans as a child i had no heat save a wood burning stove, no running water, and no electricity i never said to anyone i have a right to these things cuz we couldnot afford them so i worked and worked now my boys have it all (a warm house to live in clothes toys books water food)
Energy rights go as far as this.......... can you afford it or not? i can so, why would i care if the rest of the worlds energy is gouged to the point of being unaffordable..........and if they have such a problem why in gods name would i want to use them as a model for my energy consumption?
mdk
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 19:51
Mike,
Dude, I am not real sure what you are talking about.  I don't know how we went from President Sarkozy to your energy expenditures.  You talked about the "coal comment", NEQA asked "Coal Comment"?  I think we got lost with your post before this one. 
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 11-03-2008 20:10
from your post..........
Way back in January, President Obama said this, "So, if somebody wants to build a coal plant, they can -- it's just that it will bankrupt them, because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted."
...2 me that says it all.
from your post..........
Calm down.  "Everything gonna be alright."
i repilied.......
Im not so sure, that it will remember we are about to elect a man who feels that the usa has no right to use the energy we buy as we want , cares more about how the rest of the world feels we should live.
from your post..........
Energy rights?  Thats a new one.
i replied..........
yes I pay for it i use it, ill keep my kids warm at nite 70 deg if i want blah blah blah..................
thats how we got here.
MDK

NOW THE COAL COMMENT WAS ALOT LIKE HIS FUNDING FOR IRAQ ISSUE.......
Basically HE DOSENT CARE IF SOLDERS DIE, AND DOSENT CARE IF INDUSTRIES FAIL, HIS POLITICAL PLAN IS MORE IMPORTANTANT THAN THE PEOPLE.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-03-2008 20:24
o   k   .
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / French President?