Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Effective length of branch weld (tubular)
- By euric82 Date 10-30-2008 11:38
Need some help in interpreting par 2.23.5.2 of D1.1.

We have a tubular T-connection (TS4x4 to TS 4x4) with fillet welds on two sides and flare bevel welds on the other sides. Per D1.1, par 2.23.5.2, for T-connections more than 60 deg, only the length of the flare bevel weld (ax) should be considered as the effective length of the branch. It does state that the connection is subjected to predominantly static axial load.

Does this mean that the four side weld should be qualified only as a two side weld? This seems very conservative to me. What does it mean by 'predominantly static axial load'? Where do one draw the line between a 'predominantly static axial load' than one that is not?

The only rationale I can come up with is the non uniform distribution of the load on the welds due to the non uniform stiffness of the connection i.e the flare bevel sides have stiffness higher than the fillet weld sides. Thus, the load path is predominantly through the flare bevel weld.

Please help. Thanks
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Effective length of branch weld (tubular)