Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / dissimilar joining question
- - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-30-2008 16:50
Guys

Ive just been asked by a current customer if we "can" weld Stainless Steel Plates to Cast Iron ( Ductile-Ni resist material)----This is exactly the way it was written to me and all the information I have. I know, way too limited to make a judgement.  Just off the cuff as far as a typical process for this type of joint, what would it be ? GMAW with a Nickel wire ? or ?? Gas ?   Any help or "rough" ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2008 19:35
If the casting and plates are anything other than sheet maybe FCAW is a process you might want to explore.

If it is a one time or smaller job, it might be easily done with SMAW without the purchase of expensive rolls of FCAW electrode.

http://www.avestawelding.com/4023.epibrw  (FCAW)

http://www.avestawelding.com/3878.epibrw  (SMAW)
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-04-2008 13:51
Dude, Sweet site!!!  Good score on that one!!
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-30-2008 19:52
Ok great. So basically 309L filler seems to be the filler of choice and basically the process SMAW / FCAW depends on quantities / thicknesses etc...   Would I be correct in stating that?

I certainly appreciate your help!--Thanks
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-30-2008 21:33
Attention cfrancis,
Ductile iron, also called Nodular Cast Iron is a cast iron in which the graphite is in the form of nodules, also called "spheroids", instead of flakes as it is in gray cast iron.
Ni resist IS NOT stainless steel plates. It is an alloy white cast iron in which:
a) carbon is combined with iron giving cementite
b) has a nickel content of 15 - 30%
Due to these two properties, Ni resist has a high resistance to corrosion and abrasion.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By cfrancis (**) Date 10-31-2008 12:48
Thank you for that very helpful information as well !  Can I anticipate "cracking" issues?? Or is welding this with ER309L robust enough for this combo to avoid this issue ?

Thanks again!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-04-2008 13:45
What is the application being used for?  Is it structural, high temp or what?  I weld stainless to cast iron very frequently using the GTAW process and ER309L stainless wire with preheat and post weld heat to cool it down slow.  I use GTAW because my application usually require precision and I would agree with the others that FCAW and SMAW could be used to speed things up a bit where applicable.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-06-2008 14:17
Hello,

We weld a 4 x 0.065 wall stainless tube to a 0.250 wall black casting (from India).  We use 316 filler metal with GMAW.  The gas is a tri-mix containing argon, carbon dioxide, and helium.  We've had success with the job for over two years.  We pressure test each part.  No pre-heating or post heating.  No cracking.

Good luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / dissimilar joining question