Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T Joint with Dissimilar Thickness
- - By cong nguyen (**) Date 10-31-2008 10:05
Hi All,
The test coupont for T joint was maked from dissimilar plates (10mm & 20mm), so when we determine the range of qualification thickness we should base on the test coupon thickness. Could any body can help me answer what plate thickness that we should use to measure range of qualification?

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 10:51
Depends on the code of qualification.  For example, ASME IX would be "all" thicknesses.
Parent - By cong nguyen (**) Date 11-03-2008 01:12
Yes sir, please be informed that the applicable code is EN, and please not that I am asking for what plate thickness that is basic for measuring range of qualification.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-03-2008 17:22
Tell me which paragraph you got stuck in, and I will try to guide you on the way :)

Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 11-04-2008 03:04
Dear Sir,

I have stucked on table 6 of EN 15614. I don't know thickness of the test piece is the thickness of the thin plate or the thick plate in T joint?

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you all soon.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 11-04-2008 20:05
Sir,

may I kindly ask if you have already been "guided on the way" with Table 6 of EN 15614-1?

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 11-04-2008 22:49 Edited 11-04-2008 23:13
Good,

even though I do not want to line-jump I assume you haven't been "guided" by now - at least not obviously.

Thus please let me make a try to not to "guide", but to soberly analyze what you are talking about.

As you mention you are referring to EN 15614 Table 6.

I suppose further that you mean EN 15614 Part 1 and here again the range of qualification for material thickness and throat thickness of fillet welds.

As far as I am right with my assumption then let's have a look on the plate thicknesses you want to weld.

10 mm and 20 mm. Let's now assume that the 10 mm plate is the web plate and the 20 mm plate is the flange.

Then, so my humble opinion, you are having a general problem. Why?

Well, EN 287-1 which contains the weldor certification standardization shows no case for welding a trial by using dissimilar thicknesses for the test coupons. What does this mean? Well, this means relatively simply, that your weldor has to perform a welding test with similar thicknesses first, before he may be allowed to weld even dissimilar thicknesses, of course. In other words, your test coupon does not comply with the regularly European Welding code EN 287-1.

However, to resume with this, since of course the EN 15614 does exist (which is a fact).

So what is it valid for? Let's have a look on the Scope of the standard.

There one can read:

"This standard specifies how a preliminary welding procedure specification (PWPS) is qualified by welding procedure tests".

So in my humble opinion, we have to separate between the "weldor's certification" according to the EN 287-1 code and the subsequent use of even this certification - valid for a particular range of materials and thicknesses - for even performing welding procedure tests.

And now we are where we want to get to.

Let's assume the weldor was qualified by having welded a (similar thickness) test coupon) having a thickness of 5 mm, then - according to EN 287-1 - he is allowed to weld material thicknesses from 3 mm to 10 mm. This is because EN 287-1 says for the fillet weld thickness range:

thickness "t" of test piece: <= 3 mm                   --> applicability: t ... 2t
thickness "t" of test piece: > 3 mm < t < 12 mm    --> applicability: 3 mm ... 2t
thickness "t" of test piece: > 12 mm                    --> applicability: >= 5 mm

Now we know what the weldor is allowed to weld in terms of the thickness.

We know further, that the lower thickness (with a dissimilar) with a European welding test includes the greater thickness. This is based on the assumption that a "thinner" wall thickness is harder to weld than a "thicker" one. This is recognizable by having a look at the ranges above. With one exception. If the weldor is certified by welding a test coupon of t > 12 mm, he is allowed to weld every other thickness down to 5 mm but infinite in larger thicknesses.

So regularly, if your weldor was qualified by having welded a EN 287-1 test coupon having had a thickness > 12 mm, he were allowed to weld the test coupon you want to use in accordance to EN 15614. Independent of if there were used dissimilar material thicknesses (10 or 20 mm, respectively). In terms of table 6 of EN 15614-1 however, showing in the range you want to weld (10... 20 mm) the following data:

thickness of test piece: 3 < t < 30 mm (i.e. t = 3... 30 mm) --> range of qualification (material thickness) 0.5t (3 min.) to 1.2 t

As we now know that the lower thickness of a fillet weld test piece (your 10mm) includes the greater thickness (your 20 mm), and is thus the "scale" for the validation it might be determined that the range you are qualifying your process for does cover the thicknesses from 5 mm to 12 mm.

If however you would use two similar plate thicknesses e.g 20 mm both web plate and flange, then you could qualify your process for the range between 10 mm (which is the lower thickness of your current test piece --> web) and 24 mm (which is 4 mm greater than your current test piece thickness --> flange). Both thicknesses again could be welded by your weldor if he were qualified by having welded an EN 287-1 code test coupon of a (similar) thickness of >=12 mm.

Just my humble interpretation of (some of) the (sometimes) tricky European codes.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-05-2008 18:40
How does the qualification of a WPS has to comply with the qualification of a welder?

You dont have to be qualified in order to do a PQR test as the test can be used both qualify the welder and the PQR/WPS

To be honest, I dont understand the rest you write.....but that is just me I guess :)

Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-05-2008 18:31
Sorry for my late reply...

As i see EN 15614 there is no way to qualify a procedure with two different wallthickness

Any particular reason you want to use different specimens?

Please be aware that I usually qualify procedures in pipes, which is why I am not very experienced in fillet welds :(

Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-06-2008 18:29
Hello guys,
Can't see anywhere that fillet is mentioned.
Is it a fillet weld or a double bevel groove weld ?
Is it welder or procedure qualification ?
More information required Cong,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 11-06-2008 21:07
Shane,

thanks for this!

Good points - as always.

I have interpreted that it's a fillet as Cong wrote T-Joint.

However, I may be wrong. I guess even this is the mess with the new EN standards. I have worked in accordance with the DIN standards for many years. Good and solid standards, simply made but effective and... understandable!

Then they have changed them to the DIN EN codes, which was quite harder since it caused loads of misunderstandings and bother. But what's now going on is truly a mess, at least in my eyes. Since they are changing the codes again from EN to ISO there's pure confusion observable.

Only a few - I am certain - have the ability to read the new codes correctly what I can experience here in Germany as by pursuing the discussions within the trade journals. In particular the new scale for the validity of wall thicknesses with fillet welds can be defined as being male bovine excrements. Sorry for that!

As to the best of my knowledge the lower wall thickness of a T-Fillet-Joint determines the validity of the test range In EN 15614 (Figure 4) the thickness t2 (branch pipe) of a pipe "branch connection" is preferred to determine the thickness validity's range in relation to the thickness t1 of the connection (main pipe). Well, if even - as 3.2. says - EN 15614 doesn't allow to qualify test pieces having different wall thicknesses, the I ask, why even differentiating between t1 and t2, since then t1 = t2, and I won't need to separate in terms of the wall thickness. So, but if it were feasible to weld different thicknesses with pipe branch connections (when using EN 15614) why, so my question, it won't be feasible to weld different thicknesses with a plate T-Joint.

On the other hand, when setting the thickness "t2" of a branch pipe with a pipe branch connection as being the thickness in charge for the validity of the thickness range, then were my question: "What if the thickness t2 (branch pipe) is larger than the thickness t1 (main pipe)?" Does here the larger wall thickness include the lower wall thickness, which were contradictory in regard to what I "mean to have learned", namely that lower wall thickness include larger wall thickness.

My try with Cong's post was to find a way to interprete both, what comes from EN 287, namely the welder qualilfication, which prohibits to use test pieces with different wall thicknesses for fillet welds, and the procedure qualification EN 15614, which apparently allows to weld test pieces having different wall thicknesses (see branch pipe connection).

As - like 3.2 says - /quote/ "You dont have to be qualified in order to do a PQR test as the test can be used both qualify the welder and the PQR/WPS." /unquote/ the EN 15614 does not require certified welders for doing the test, since the test itself counts as welder qualification test (without needing to be tested according to EN 287) the my question is: "What is the range of thicknesses the EN 15614 certified welder is allowed to weld after the test?" Even since EN 287 does not allow to use different thicknesses. Hmmm...

And here we are. As by I have said "I tried to interprete" I have shown what worth the standard is. In my eyes, none. Since any kind of interpretation should be excluded in general when dealing with standards. They should - even though this sounds naive now - clarify but not complicate things.

I honestly admit to be no code expert, far from this. But it should be feasible that even I -as being rather a "code's layman" should understand what's going on with the code. But this - I am honest - is not the case. And as I said also, there are many true experts here in Germany who are struggling with the new codes as they are built so intricate and completely far from reality. The inquiry coming from Cong is therefore the best proof.

However, Shane, I may be wrong with what I wrote. This is what Jeff once said, everybody of all of us in the forum trys to best possibly help other forum fellow members. But finally and at the end of the day all good meant recommendations and advice must be kept under reservation.

It were really great, if you, or somebody else of the great ones may shed a light on this.

And I am 100% sure that you will, as far as Cong may provide somewhat more on information!

I - for myself - am looking forward to learn again from you - as always.

Best regards to Australia!
Stephan
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-06-2008 22:35
Guten morgen Stephan,
Currently in an airport departure lounge so don't have access to all my codes / standards.
It would help if Cong came back and told us exactly which joint he is meaning.
As Jon mentioned if it is a fillet and if it were ASME IX it would be all thicknesses. If it is a butt then it would be 2 x "T" based on the thickness of the vertical member (presumably 10 mm therefore 20 mm max) and I am pretty sure that is similar with BS/EN 287 Pt 1.
The comment you made about the joint not being shown in the code / standard so apparently cannot be used is interesting. Are the joints shown in the particular code / standard just an example or a specific requirement ?
AWS D1.1 shows the welder qualification plate to be 1" plate, single vee with backing strip. Does that mean that is the only test coupon you can use for "unlimited thickness" ? I have supervised quite a few tests on 1" plate, double U with backgouging and then performed tests in accordance with AWS D1.1, has this been wrong ?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 11-08-2008 09:53
Hi Shane

Hope you dont mind me asking, does that mean that the Madagascar job you wrote about the other day as being re-evaluated is back on? If so nice one, Shane - enjoy and let us know what you make of that country, its folk and customs, plus of course happy to share any work related issues!

Nigel
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-09-2008 01:22
Hello Nigel,
No, the original job was in Tanzania and it was put on hold and I think that it is going to be suspended indefinitely.
The Madagascar project has been going for 18 months now, they have just put the mobilisation of myself (and 6 others) on hold while they re-evaluate.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 11-08-2008 16:17 Edited 11-08-2008 17:15
Guten Tag Shane! :-)

First of all, I have to apologize for the late response. I was on the road and had only restricted access to the net (BlackBerry).

Thanks a lot for your very interesting reply.

I must admit, what Jon as yourself have mentioned (ASME IX) appears to be quite "simpler" in order to know what kind of material thickness range is to be qualified and may thus be welded subsequently?  U n f o r t u n a t e l y  I have no access to the American codes or standards neither ASME nor AWS, what is a pity, since I often would like to "compare" both the US standardization as the European codes in terms of common paragraphs. But I remember what Joe Kane said once - most likely very appropriate (as usually) - /quote/:

"(...) I have worked as a consultant trying to figure out common denominators between several European codes and US Codes.  In general there is no apples to apples comparison and conversions.  It was always easier to re-qualify to the other code."

/unquote/

I guess this says more than a thousand words.

However Shane, you have hit the nail again by having asked the question whether Cong's application does refer to a pure T-Joint fillet or a T-Joint (full or partial penetration) butt weld. This was overlooked by myself.

My example has referred to EN 287-1 pure T-Joint fillet and I have used the dimensions as been described within my post just by memory - hoping that even memory would have served me correctly.

Initiated by your last post however, I had a closer look again on EN 287-1 to check if I were right by having said, that with wall thicknesses and pure T-Joint fillet welds (single side welded) there is no distiction between the member's thicknesses, which would mean that the code won't allow to weld test piece having different wall thicknesses (just like Cong's application supposed us to consider).

And yes, it is as I thought that it was.

By having a look on Figure 2 (page 16) of 287-1, one can recognize that there is no differentation between the base- and the vertical member. Both thicknesses are determined by using the abbreviation "t", what's interpreted by myself as being t1 = t2. That - as been served by memory - I had meant was the reason for that EN 287-1 won't allow to qualify welders by welding test pieces having dissimilar member thicknesses with T-Joint fillets, but even to weld dissimilar test pieces showing the appropriate wall thickness for the particular range of qualification.

In terms of what I have tried to describe as an example of quasi "infinite" wall thickness qualification with the welding of (single side welded) "pure" T-Joint fillets, example 4 of EN 287-1 (page 29) can be used very appropriately.

This example describes a fillet joint test designated as:

- EN 287-1 111 P FW 2 B t13 PB ml -

It qualifies the welder as follows:

According EN 287-1 -- Qualification test of welders - Fusion Welding

Process Manual Metal Arc Welding = Shielded Metal Arc Welding acc. AWS = process number "111" acc. ISO 4063

P = Plate (for Plate Fillet) or even "T" (Tube Fillet) for tube diameters >= 150 mm

Fillet Weld (FW)

Material Group "2" acc. CR ISO 15608

Test piece thickness "t" = 13 mm -- thickness range of qualification >= 5 mm to "quasi infinite"

Welding Position "PB" (acc. AWS = 2F) = Butt weld flat and fillet weld horizontal-vertical*

ml = multi layer weld

* There is the range of qualification for the welding position designated as "horizontal-vertical" even though the welder has to weld in "PB" which is the horizontal position. If I would have been asked if a welder were qualified to weld in "vertical" position by just having welded a test piece in the "horizontal" position, I am honest, I have negated the question. Even since the old DIN 8560/61 welder qualification standard has required to weld a "vertical" position which would have subsequently included the "horizontal" position, but not contrariwise. However, as one can see, also this may appear as a question of interpretation. At least as I interprete it correctly, to qualify the welder for both positions just by having proved to be able to weld a "PB" (2F) position appears quite questionable. But I may be wrong and I have seen it incorrect what EN 287-1 shows even with this particular example (and the stated explanations).

However Shane, as EN 15614 even shows a distinction between "t1" and "t2" when describing the test piece for a T-Joint (page 9 of the code) my humble assumption was even that it were possible to weld test pieces having different member's thicknesses, even "t1" different to "t2" just as Cong has inquired. A situation which is not allowed by EN 287-1, as described above. Thus, so my assumption, wouldn't allow furthermore - as actually stated by 3.2 - to qualify welders according EN 287-1 for a particular thickness range in general, or even to qualify welders for a particular thickness range relating to a partciular thickness of one of both members of the T-Joint.

If however the latter were feasible and EN 15614 could be used for both qualifying both processes and welders (which is most likely the case), then, so my assumption, the "thinner" of both member wall thicknesses - as this is common practice with EN 287-1, namely, that "lower wall thickness includes larger wall thickness", would count for the welder's qualification range. 

What now complicates the entire issue additionally is the fact, that a pipe branch connection (as to be seen in EN 15614 Figue 4 page 10) could - at least theoretically - show a larger wall thickness for thickness "t2", even though "t1" could show a lower wall thickness. In this case again, the welder would be qualified according to the greater wall thickness range - since the qualification range would refer to "t2" (branch pipe). And all this although he has welded also a lower wall thickness "t1" (main pipe).

Furthermore, as 3.2 says /quote/:

"(...) As i see EN 15614 there is no way to qualify a procedure with two different wallthickness..." /unquote/

I am asking myself, why is EN 15614 using the designations "t1" and "t2" if it won't be feasible to qualify different wall thicknesses. I truly suppose that this might be the reason for Cong to ask, which of both wall thicknesses - 10 mm or 20 mm - is the decisive one when welding a test piece having different wall thicknesses.

Nonetheless, it is as I said already, I am none but a layman with this. And thus I am convinced that an expert as 3.2 is surely right with his statement and interpretations of the standard. That is, if EN 15614 shows no way to qualify different wall thicknesses, then this is certainly the case and all what I have stated herein is worthless anyhow. This however, were absolutely no problem for me, as long as the issue will be clarified finally and I would have been allowed to have learned something new.

It is as you have so wisely spoken, as you wrote "...It would help if Cong came back and told us exactly which joint he is meaning. .

I must apologize Shane, for not knowing AWS D 1.1 and the regulations within this - most likely very interesting - code. Perhaps one of the other appreciated forum fellow members could clarify the situation by doing shed some light on this.

Finally, I have heard that there should come a successive standard for EN 287. This should be an ISO standard. However, I have no detailed information in terms of if this is true. If however it were true, then... hmmm... I'm afraid that it will be... confusing?

Thanks again and my best regards,
Stephan

Edit: Had forgotten a comma and to exchange a "greater" by a "lower".  Huuuh... what confusing! :-)
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 11-12-2008 22:49
In general (and I speak from no code specifically), in a full-penetration T joint, the thickness of the web plate is the thickness of the weld, and thus that is what is relevant.  How much flange there is doesn't have much to do with how large a weld was put down to attach it to the web.  (It may come into play, depending on your code, when one considers heat sink effects.)

Hg
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 11-13-2008 14:15
Thanks Hg!
Parent - By NTCONG Date 11-26-2008 09:38
Thank you all very much!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T Joint with Dissimilar Thickness