Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Single Welding Proceedure???
- - By Backlash Date 11-01-2008 23:57
Is it possible for one qualified welding procedure to be used for multiple weld types?  I am working on updating welding procedures and it has been proposed that we qualify a WPS which will cover both GMAW & FCAW.  The test piece would be fit up for complete joint penetration using a square groove to single bevel joint.  I have been told that this will allow for only one welding procedure having to be written to cover all welds.  My thinking is that the weld joint geometry shown on the welding proceedures is an essential variable to the procedure and that I will still require individual procedures supported by the single PQR.  It does not seem possible to me to run a fillet weld and CJP weld from the same procedure. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 11-03-2008 15:08
I believe that there are several essential variables that are different for FCAW and GMAW. Every essential variable change requires re-qualification.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-05-2008 05:57
The short answer is that you should obtain a copy of the applicable welding code or standard and read the section on procedure qualification. It will list both essential and nonessential variables. A new procedure must be qualified if you elect to work beyond the limits of the essential variables.

The bottom line is that a WPS qualified in accordance with ASME Section IX is not going to meet all the requirements of AWS D1.1 or API 1104 or vice versa. Each welding standard is going to have different essential and nonessential variables.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Richard Cook (**) Date 12-02-2008 14:53
If you are working to AWS D1.1 read 31 on the TAble 4.5, "except qualification of any CJP groove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the rerquirements of 3.12 or 3.13" Essentially all your prequalified joint configurations can be used with that one Qualified procedure, at least that is the way I read it. Comments?

So joint configuration seems not to be such a big variable, most any joint would be able to meet the prequalified joint requirements, note I said most.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:47
Never mind the configuration, I don't think you can use one process (FCAW vs. GMAW) to qualify another.  At least not in D1.1 or D1.5.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Single Welding Proceedure???