Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OPINIONS NEEDED ABOUT BUYING A WELDING RIG
- - By pipelinetrash23 (**) Date 11-02-2008 23:02
I found this truck the other day and needed some opinions. The guy is asking 17,500  he said he could come off the price a little bit, but still needed some opinions on whether it was a good deal or not. Let me know asap. thanks, joey

Heres what comes with the truck:

Maroon 1996 Ford F350 4DR Dually w/Lincoln Welder
-Powerstroke Diesel
-Automatic Transmission
-152,000 miles
-Clean Body
-Clean Interior
-Power Windows and Locks
-Aluminum Wheels
-Good Tires
-Custom Welding Bed
-Lincoln SA250 Diesel (recessed in bed)
-Welder Remote
-100' Remote Extention Cord
-200' Welding Leads w/300 Amp Stingers
-50' Cutting Torch Hose
-Large Diamond Plate Toolbox
-2 Small Steel Toolboxes w/Locks
-Hoosier Pole
-Vehicle Maintenance Log
Truck is ready for work.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 11-03-2008 00:04 Edited 11-03-2008 00:07
Can you post some pics of your find? That would probly help us to steer you in the right direction. $17,500 is not bad if it is in real good shape. But if it has been used hard and put up wet then you might want to try to low ball the seller. Repairs are costly and when your 17,500 into it then it stings that much more.
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 11-03-2008 00:36
Well the Lincoln is probably worth 6 or 7 grand if it is good shape. The leads are probably worth a grand or so. A good welding bed is probably worth 2 to 4 grand depending on quaility and design. So the truck probably has another year or two in it before any major repairs and by then if you are doing your job you should have paid for it 5 fold.
Parent - By pipelinetrash23 (**) Date 11-03-2008 05:43
thats what i was thinkin about but i already have a truck and i just need the machine leads and tools... i wanna weld dadgumit lol...
Parent - By pipelinetrash23 (**) Date 11-03-2008 05:43
i am waiting on pics from the guy he said his wife has to do it...
Parent - - By ablake32 (*) Date 11-03-2008 01:29
Well i bought a truck with 150,000 miles on it and as soon as I spent money and time fabbing a bed the transmission decided to go out.  That may be something to consider but if you are buying a truck that is rigged out  and ready to make dough then you can set some aside for that if needed.  
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 11-03-2008 10:35
like ablake32 said about the tranny that is the first thing I'd worry about going out with all those miles and if my memory is right I think it may have what they call a E4OD in it but not positive, they never were very strong trannys. I had worked for a guy when I was younger who rebuilt trannys and I remmeber he always had to add or make changes to the clutch packs in them to make them stronger because they weren't all that great from the factory he said but if there isn't anything else wrong with the truck it could be a great buy and set some cash aside for the tranny.
Parent - - By dfwpipeliner (**) Date 11-03-2008 13:58 Edited 11-03-2008 14:01
If it were me, I would try and find you a truck for about $12000 that had never seen a R.O.W.  Then I would try and find me an SA200 for around $3000,  with the $2000 left you could buy any tools that you may need, grinders, jack stands, etc.  Although you wouldnt have a ready made welding bed you would still have a truck that you could work from.  When the time is right  you can build your own bed how you want it, cause a lot of them old beds are not like the slick ones you see today. They may do the job, but a lot of pipeline welders are judged by thier rig.  And after working for a year or so and the bank balance is on the up, you might wanna look at getting a newer truck.   Just my opinion, for what its worth!!!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-03-2008 22:50
you're right dfw tub out your truck you have now and go to work worry about the bells and whistles later 5 grand should get you on your way pretty good and then once it starts to add up buy little by lirttle and before you know it you are out of room and need a bigger tool box
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OPINIONS NEEDED ABOUT BUYING A WELDING RIG