Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MCAW
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-05-2008 15:54
Doing some trials with 0.045 Corex Metal-Cor 6L
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/datasheets/MetalCor6L.pdf

The Data sheet recommends 75/25  Ar/C02

I'm going by the book here and get nothing but nasty globular transfer with lots of spatter I can see repelling from the puddle.

When I switch to 98/2  Ar/0xy  it sprays perfectly.....

I don't have a problem running the richer Ar mix.... Just wondering if the stuff is actually supposed to somehow spray with 75/25 and I am missing something in the setup.

Lets talk
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-05-2008 17:02
Lawrence,
In my experience metal core welds more like solid wire than flux core.  I doubt you can get spray transfer with 25% CO2.
Mankenberg
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 11-05-2008 17:07
That's correct,,people like to relate Metalcore to fluxcore and they are nothing alike. Runs very  much "like" solid wire for the most part. You can push alot for wire, steeper push angles, faster travel speeds and get much superior bead contours and sidewall fusion that with solid wire.
Parent - - By cfrancis (**) Date 11-05-2008 17:04
Hi

Hobarts data sheet states 75% Ar minimum, with " arc improvements" the higher the Ar mix %  goes. Which of course your arc can fall into a more stable spray. Most MetalCores recomemend a 90/10 mix for "optimum" performance.  We use thousands of pounds of M/C a month and run it all with 95/5. Sidewall fusion is still excellent, even on larger fillets. 98/2 may be a bit much ? The only Metalcore I believe Ive seen recomended for 98/2 was a E-110C-G, Im guessing that was primarily to obtain the higher mechanicals with the high Argon ?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-05-2008 17:16 Edited 11-05-2008 17:32
Everybody   Thanks!

My gas mixers currently run 75/25,   98/2,   and  90/8/2 (Ar/Co2/02)  I have a work order in to change the Tri-mix to 90/10 but am currently kinda forced to use what I have available...

I'm guessing the Tri-mix might present even more undercutting than the 98/2

The Tri-Mix was selected before my time  (some slick salesman no doubt)  Nobody within 100 miles uses the stuff that I know about so it's kind of a waste to have the students use the stuff... Many players use 90/10 though.

We are having an amazing semester right now at the College.... I have a big group of students who have completed all requirements early in the semester (unlimited thickness all position FCAW) and now they can pretty much pick fun and weird stuff.... So were running MCAW, Hand held Subarc, lots of GMAWP...  They are runnin me ragged just finding projects that are challenging.  (this is the best kind of problem)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-05-2008 17:55
Lawrence,
We also use a lot of metal core (fabcore 86r) and run it with 75/25. It runs great, never had any issues as you speak of.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-05-2008 18:09
I agree with CFRANCIS on this one.  We run a lot of mild steel metal core and 90/10 and 95/5 ArCo2 seem to produce the best puddle control and good overall performance.  This type of wire does run much like solid.  We have found on heavy plate (>1") with thick mill scale that side wall fusion can easily be a problem and overlap is hard to avoid. 

Good to hear that all the students are performing well and you have time to teach them other things that they might not see in school.  So much emphasis is placed on actual welding skill, sometimes "green" graduates hit the real world without any real knowledge of the somewhat odd ball processes/ products.  Keep up the good work Lawrence, and maybe when the little MDG's get old enough I'll send them your way for some real education.  After that I may also send them to Allen so they get a good grasp on fabrication practices too.  My 4 year old boy brought his NexGen helmet to Pre School last week for Friday show & tell, and the teacher called me to ask if I really let him pull the trigger sometimes.  My response...Well duhhh, why else would he need a helmet?  She failed to see the humor in that.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-05-2008 22:27
Hi Lawrence,

We run .045 Lincoln MC-6 with 92/8 and it works great.

Tim
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 11-06-2008 16:34
Lawrence,

I feel you will have better results with a 90/10 argon/co2 mix.  Like said above the 98/2 might be a bit much.  Keep an eye on the toe of the bottom leg of your beads.  If your slightly undercutting the top toe the the bottom toe is probably rolling a bit, lack of fusion in that bottom leg will surely be lacking.  I've etched a bunch of these welds and have run into the bottom toe problem even when removing the mill scale which your supposively not supposed to have to do with metal core.;-) The 90/10 helps with putting that puddle up where you want it when trying to run the bigger single pass fillets.  I'm sure you will find a hot set up for what ever it is your doing.;-)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-06-2008 21:23
We are installing a metering valve in the gas mixer that will give us 8-13% Co2  Ar balence to replace the Tri-Mix we currently run.  Gonna set it at 10% for the 90/10
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MCAW