Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / And you said it was clean?????
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-05-2008 19:13 Edited 11-05-2008 19:16
Ever got a machine from someone & they swore up & down it was clean & in good working order? You never know what you're going to find inside a machine. I've been working on them for quite some time & to date have never found bones & ketchup packets inside a welding machine.....Until now.

I am baffled as to how this stuff got in there.

Nothing surprises me anymore. Take a look below.

See my other post pertaining to machine cleanliness & how important it really is.

S.W.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 11-06-2008 00:17
Rats!!!  Really.

Griff
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-06-2008 00:54
I don't know how big of a hole they need to get in. I have heard it's very small, like the size of a dime or something like that. The thing that threw me, is that I've seen rat's nests inside machines & this didn't look the same. I bet you're right though!! S.W.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 11-06-2008 01:14
This area was their dining hall!!!!!

Griff
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 11-07-2008 01:34
you need an archaeologist
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-07-2008 03:59
No, that was the Maxtron! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 11-07-2008 11:21
I'm sure you won't send it out like that Steve.The one you sold me looked brand new.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-07-2008 12:08
No, most folks don't have a need for bones & trash. If they requested it, I would be happy to leave it though. :-) S.W.

PS Nice hearing from you!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-07-2008 12:16
I can't believe you even opened up that machine to find that stuff....... Your pretty brave.

Ya know you might have let the smoke out of that power supply!

Once you let the smoke out it.. A welding machine never works again.

We lat the smoke out of 5 Aerowaves one year   :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 12:49
"Let the smoke out"....LOL
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-07-2008 12:53
No, more like "Let's smoke out!" LOL Just kidding.

I couldn't resist! S.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-07-2008 12:52
Those Aerowave were known for releasing smoke. :-)

Funny how once that smoke comes out they don't work right again.

I think it's part of the magic elves & stuff that happens inside them.....

Still got the Aerowaves?? :-)

Let me know when you're going to off the stuff we talked about. Thanks! S.W.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-07-2008 14:57
At my last job we had a number of Aerowaves... Some quazi beta models (the smokers)

I currently have one Aerowave in the lab... But our new Dynasty 350 will do everything the Aerowave can do and more.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-15-2008 17:58
Pack rats or mice then the snake that ate em brought the ketchup along :)   Wait till you get an electric box with a fried bull snake in it you won't forget the smell !  
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-15-2008 19:36
Hey, that sounds like free dinner!!!!!!

This machine turned out to be a major disappointment. Guy said it "worked great, no issues"

Sure.....Blown HF transformer & my time & labor to fix it. Oh well, that's the biz. S.W.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-16-2008 20:44
Yeah they say it taste like chicken if you hold your nose and don't think about it.  Brew makes it go down no problems :)
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-16-2008 20:58
Brew makes EVERYTHING go down with no problems!!!!!! :-) :-)
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-16-2008 02:35
Kentucky Fried Chicken and they ran out of sweet-n-sour sauce.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-16-2008 20:59
You know the internet legend about KFC.....It's really genetically grown!! :-)

Still gooood stuff!! :-)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-17-2008 00:55
scbmweb,
I was inclined to go along with the rat theory until I studied the chicken bones....Now it appears to me, your local Brujo has been performing voodoo rituals! Here's why, if you copy a photo of the bones, reverse the paper, hold it up to seven black candles, an undisputable likeness of the Vigin Mary will appear.

no I haven't been drinking and can pass the whizz quiz

Really.........
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-17-2008 01:09
Sweet, I'll be sure to try it.

If it could magically fix the $150 in parts I have to put into it, I'll give it a whirl. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-17-2008 02:13
E-bay my friend.  Just remember us little people that got you there when you cash the check
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-17-2008 03:38
Yeah. I really try to avoid ebay. I have very little money to begin with & they really get in your pocket. I think the dude that sold it to me is going to pay for the trans. That's about $100 all said. We'll see. At the very least, he's offered to meet me on it. That's a lot more than someone else would have done.

Still, when you buy used stuff with no guarantee, that's what you get sometimes. If not, the voodoo is a good backup! S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-19-2008 02:15
Just got the Hi Voltage HF transformer for Mr. Syncrowave. Time to put you back together & make some money! S.W.
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 12-23-2008 14:28
Hi sbcmweb,

I looked through this post and your other one about pressure washing welding equipment. I do not have a pressure washer and it is probably a good thing because I sometimes get carried away when cleaning things. I have several welders that I normally clean every 2-3 months depending on usage. I use air to blow them off inside and out, along with a mild detergent on the outside. It seems that no matter how careful I am to make sure the equipment is not running with the fans sucking air in while I am grinding, I still see magnetized grindings or metal dust sticking on the inside electrical components. Is a light covering of this metallic dust normal, or do I need to clean this equipment more often even though I have taken the above precautions. Also would you recommend attaching some sort of filter media to the air intake panels to keep this stuff to a minimum, or would any type of filtering actually cause more harm than the metal dust?...........thanks. 
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 01-11-2009 19:40
I guess sbcmweb has decided not to participate on this forum any longer. I will surely miss his wise sage advice and interesting topics. In the mean time I will just continue to blow out the welding equipment and hope that those few fuzzy looking magnetized filings are normal and will not harm anything.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-12-2009 01:06
Pat,

You guessed right.  Steve stopped participating on this forum.  As I don't go through everything that gets posted I too missed what happened but caught a couple of the last posts and know he was hurt pretty bad by and about something.  Sometimes our opinions and our zeal get us at odds with each other.  There have been a few who have used the ratings system here to express their personal disagreement with another persons comments and opinions.  At any rate, Steve no longer posts threads here.

Try not to let anyone get to you.  Water off a duck is good practise.

Have a Great day,  Brent
Parent - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-12-2009 07:22
To many people on here with a major superiority complex is what caused this knowledgable man to leave the forum. To much I know more than you do just because I do crap. Plus the spell check thing did not help. Look at the end of the day we are all just welders one way or another. Some better, some faster and some who aren't that good but at least there trying. Maybe they may never have great craft or skill but they still have to do it because I just read in a post in the off topic welding is the on the worst jobs list.  So new prospects aren't lining up to jump in this trade like they used to. To many times I have heard welders refered  to as drunkards and womanizers of a tenacious disregard for good morals. True some are, but on the other hand many are good men just trying to feed there families which they love and cherish. I would wager just as many politicians or men of the cloth live far more immoral lives then a humble welder will ever. However back to the point Steve is gone but is still available for questions and service on welding machines.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 01-16-2009 19:13
That sucks.Steve is a good guy.I've bought welding machines from him in the past,and talked to him several times over the phone.it's a real shame.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / And you said it was clean?????