Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New Pipe header Surface Cracks
- - By aliffc3 (*) Date 11-05-2008 19:28
The material in question is a 14 in diameter, 1.5 in thick seamless pipe header. The material is A-106. Some crack like indications were observed at few locations on the outer surface of this pipe. Based on this PT was done on a portion of this header and numerous crack like indications were noted. These appear to be due to manufacturing process and probably are known as laps.
A few of these were grinded upto 2 mm depth, however amongst these few are still persisting. Are these kind of indications harmless?

Any ideas or comments are welcome.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-05-2008 20:39
To my knowledge, no surface breaking crack like indication can be assumed to be "harmless". Especially persistant ones.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-05-2008 22:03
When I was an engineering student and before getting my degree, I spent three months in a seamless pipe mill. This was called "Factory practice" and was compulsory to get the degree. Well, this happened 45 years ago.
The pipes were first hot rolled in the so called "pilgrim mill" and then calibrated in the so called "calibrating mill", from which they came out with the proper dimensions (diameter and thickness).
Then they were visual inspected. Highly experienced inspectors observed the pipe surface and detected any imperfection, including cracks. If necessary, they used a magnifying glass. When the imperfection (including cracks) was detected, they filed a small portion of it with a tiny triangular file. This was done to visually estimate the imperfection depth. If it was deeper than that allowed by the standard (usually 12.5% of the pipe thickness) the pipe was discarded. If it was less deep than that, the pipe surface was ground with a grinding wheel, taking care to make a smooth and tapered grind.
How did they know that the depth of the imperfection was within standard? That was the first question I asked in those days. The answer: "That's why they're highly experienced inspectors!"
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil  
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New Pipe header Surface Cracks