Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / hydro test for the pipe or the weld?
- - By dobsalot (**) Date 11-07-2008 00:00
In the past, we would hydro the pipe as required and then fab up what we needed to. I assumed  that the hydrotest was for the pipe and x-ray was for the weld. Now I'm told we will be hydrotesting to test the welds also. Either I have been wrong for a long time (30 yrs) or they,the engineers don't know what the hydrotest is for. Someone please clarify, thanks Ron.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-07-2008 02:09
[deleted]
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 03:30
Not sure I agree in total with your response dbigkahunna. 

Hydrotest is for each subassembly or assembly, excluding those elements that may experience over-pressuring.  Normally, this includes ALL welds except perhaps the closure weld (of course depending on code of construction).  Part of this reasoning is to ensure leak tightness under pressures exceeding design, for example, B31.3 may permit percentage radiography with hydrotesting being engineering justification for proving soundness of all welds / system. 

My $0.02.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-07-2008 03:32
It is for both.  The raw pipe and fitting material can be purchased already hydrostatic tested, but the fabrication code usually also requires hydrostatic testing of the completed piping system.  Depends on what code you are required to meet.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-07-2008 08:36
Have to agree with Jon and Marty,
You are inspecting the pipe and the weld.
For example B31.3 345.3.1 under Preparation for Leak Tests states "Joints Exposed: All joints, including welds and bonds, are to be left uninsulated and exposed for examination during leak testing, except that joints previously tested in accordance with this code may be insulated or covered."
I think it is a little bit different with your work DBK, pipelining to API 1104 regularly has 100% RT, then the pipe is buried and then a hydro may be performed and the welds cannot be visually inspected while under pressure. Maybe it is considered acceptable by API based on the amount of dirt covering the pipe and welds ????
Hypothetically (although hard to imagine) you could have a gas pore (pinhole) that goes the full thickness of the weld. Passes RT but if it is visualled during hydro a jet of water would be quite noticeable.
One thing I have always considered strange, it is considered acceptable to hydro individual flanged spools on the ground before lifting into the piperack and bolting up but what then proves the integrity of the bolted flanged joint ??

On a side note, was due to head to Madagascar in 2 days for 18 months work. Have spent the last 7 weeks doing all sorts of medicals, getting innoculations, police clearances etc, etc only to be told today that the client has put my position on hold to be reassessed. Global Economic Downturn and the falling price of Nickel.
To say I am disappointed is a bloody understatement.
Gunna hit that Bundy Rum tonight Jon,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 08:53
Shane;

Re: "One thing I have always considered strange, it is considered acceptable to hydro individual flanged spools on the ground before lifting into the piperack and bolting up but what then proves the integrity of the bolted flanged joint ??"

I might be corrected by Marty or others, but if this were a B31.3 system, I believe there also has to be an initial service test prior to operations?

I thought you were good over there in no-man's land for quite some time yet, why on earth would you be hoping for Madagascar?????

I'm flying home to Chch very, very early Wednesday morning, arrive Friday afternoon and will be up in Auckland from the 19th until 23rd... are you in NZ now?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-07-2008 09:38
ouch, thats a tough one to swallow :(
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-07-2008 09:49
Hi Jon,
Finished in New Caledonia end of September.
Due to go to Madagascar with the same Canadian company, but the client's ass must be twitching with the costs. If you check out the PM I sent you with my salary and multiply that by 150 supervisors that is a hell of a lot of money when the bottom has dropped out of the Nickel market.
Flew back home to Aussie from Hong Kong this morning.

Not sure I have ever seen anything about an ISLT requirement after the hydro.
345.2.3 Special Provisions for Testing states " Piping subassemblies may be tested separately or as assembled piping"
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 11:11
Yep, sorry, must have had a brain collapse, your right.
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 11-07-2008 20:35
I have seen it done both ways, I do a fair bit of pipeline work and when a line repair is done the pipe is pre tested and all welds get x-rayed, I have also seen welds leak on the hydro test and the weld did pass x-ray. On the other hand when I am in refineries they are checking the welds too.
Parent - By dobsalot (**) Date 11-07-2008 23:38
Thanks, I guess I thought if you do x-ray it was good.  I learned something new. thanks again, Ron.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / hydro test for the pipe or the weld?