Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stud welding- arc shield modification
- - By hogan (****) Date 11-07-2008 19:53
We have some studs to weld to 4"sch40 pipe. The arc shields (ferrules) we purchased are radiused (sp?)but the radius is more suited for a larger diameter application. Are there any provisions in AWS D1.1 that allow you to change the radius. The studs were not shooting very well so we placed the arc shield against a grinder with a 4" stone on it. This removed less than 1/16" from the btm of the arc shield. Studs then seated better and are being welded with no repair needed. Is this acceptable to code? Why or why not. Thanks for any insight.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 20:14
Hogan,
  It appears that you are in compliance with D1.1 Clause 7 Stud welding. 7.2.2 just states that the stud shall be furnished with arc shield and since you are not removing it completly, I would say you are in compliance there as well. Just to be on the safe side you may want to, if applicable, run it by the EOR.

I may have missed something but it appears to me that you are OK. JMHInterpretation

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2008 20:55
You actually qualify your modification to your procedure by bending the first few in the production run.....so you will know if what you did works or not.
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see a problem with changing the radius on the ferrule.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-07-2008 21:11
Thanks Johns. I think what jwright650 stated (reminded me of) is enough to hang my at on. It is nice to have someone to show you the forest thru the trees when needed. Thanks again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stud welding- arc shield modification