Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / SHINKANSEN Osaka - Kyoto - Osaka (Travel Time)
- - By Stephan (***) Date 11-10-2008 13:49
Friends,

this is a tricky issue and certainly a random shot, but I'll venture it.

As I know, many of you have travelled loads of loads in their lifes.

Has somebody of you ever taken the Shinkansen from Osaka to Kyoto (and return) and may tell me how long the travel will take?

All what I can find by the www is completely contradictory. But perhaps I have visited the wrong sites.

Whereas the Japanese Shinkansen JR time tables speak of just 14 minutes, the German chamber of commerce does speak of ~ 75 minutes to get from Kansai Airport to Kyoto. "Slightly" different as I mean...

So what am I missing?

Best regards and every advice will be greatly appreciated,
Stephan
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 11-10-2008 15:12
Thanks fellows,

have found somewhat that clarifies the issue - at least when the brain's used. :-)

The Shinkansen itself takes really just 14 minutes for the approx. 50 kilometers, but the additional time e.g. for bus transfer etc. extends the whole subject appropriately.

For those of you who are planning to eventually get there anytime, here's a helpful link:

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Best to all of you,
Stephan
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 11-10-2008 16:39
Although I don't recall that leg of the Shinkansen (since I never stopped in Osaka), it took around two hours to get from Tokyo to Kyoto, and picturing the differences in distance, 14 minutes sounds reasonable.  Kyoto was just under a 3 hour Shinkansen ride from Hiroshima, which is a MUST visit city.
The only downside to the Shinkansen, is that it costs about as much as a domestic airline ticket (although its just about as fast as well).
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 11-10-2008 18:44
Hello Robert!

Thanks a lot for this response.

Makes me glad that you are confirming the ~ 1/4 hour.

The cost for this appears to be ~ 27 Euro which is about 34 US$.

I am very curious how it will be to use this train! :-)

Thanks as well for the hint in regard to Hiroshima.

Hopefully I'll find a bit time to travel around there to see something.

Best regards and thanks again,
Stephan
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 11-10-2008 20:53
Well, I'm sure you are familiar with Eurail's higher speed links (I remember sitting on a train in Milan so smooth that it took me a few seconds to figure out why the catenary poles were moving), and this will still be impressive, but for an American, used to the practically third world train service here (ok, we don't ride on the train roof like in India but . . .) the bullet train is simply jaw dropping.
The pricing is based on the end to end distance, and the speed of the train, where faster trains tend to be used for the longer express routes.

It is a society which is HEAVILY dependent on train travel, so they take it VERY seriously.  Those who have cars hardly use them, and 10 year old cars often have under 30000 miles on them.  Tokyo even has TWO competing commuter rail systems.  The subway is completely separate from the mostly elevated JR lines, and both have fairly good coverage of most neighborhoods. 

Anyway, there is SO much to see in Kyoto.  The train station itself is simply huge, and the city is filled with many sights and shrines, such as Fushimi Inari, and the Golden Pavillion.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 11-10-2008 23:38
"(...)It is a society which is HEAVILY dependent on train travel..."

I agree 100%.

I've attended the IIW Assembly in Osaka in 2004 and to be honest, it was one of the most impressive experiences I was blessed to got to know by now.

Not only the Japanese culture but also their way to deal with things - in particluar welding related ones - and last but not least their immense arrangement and their understanding of the importance of the public traffic (undergrounds) have sustainably impressed me. I am hardly looking forward to get there again. As well as I have heard from a fellow worker that Kyoto must be one of the most beautiful cities in Japan. As you confirm this it appears to be correct what I've heard.

In terms of the High Speed Trains. This is another issue however. In Germany we are having the ICE (Intercity Express). However, at the present time it could stand for "In Case of Emergency" as well, since they are having really massive problems with the train's axles, which are showing partially severe fatigue (cracks). That's the reason they have withdrawn all ICE's from public use to UT the axles very thoroughly.

They mean that the poor track network in Germany is the main reason for the axle's failure. This again is quite not that modern as e.g. in Japan (Shinkansen) or France (TGV). Both countries have modified their track network appropriately for the High Speed Train use. In Germany whereas the ICE's have to slow down - not using "to brake" - the speed from time to time to avoid flying from the tracks!

On the other hand the "Deutsche Bahn" (German Railways) does have a head or board of directors respectively, who is/are pushing the company towards the Stock Exchange. Very poor situation as it shows what appears to really matter ($, EUR). :-(

I've seen that hogan has posted somewhat from France (high speed train accident) and has said that the French do know how to build a High Speed Train.

I agree, it really appears so.

And if additionally to the positive news (no one injured) a case of Bordeaux is corked, hmmm... I guess this fits pretty well to the today's incident that ross has opened the bar again. ;-)

Best to you,
Stephan
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-11-2008 03:18
what are you in Japan for this time?
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 11-11-2008 08:00
Hi Joel,

I'm having the great honor to represent our company by attending the 8th International Symposium of the Japan Welding Society, please see also:

http://www.nta-aps.jp/8WS

respectively to hold a presentation over there, as well as to participate the Intermediate Meeting of the IIW Commission XII (Arc Welding Processes and Production Systems) / Study Group 212 (The Physics of Welding).

An enormous conference, I must say. Certainly the greatest one I have ever had the privilige to partake and as I know and appreciate the Japanese fellows they will most likely atonish the attendees by setting new benchmarks again.

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-15-2008 00:56
sounds very interesting indeed. I'm curious now Stephan, what exactly is your job and where do you work?  If you don't mind me asking.

on a somewhat related note. I mentioned studying abroad in germany for a semester. Unfortunately due to credit requirements among other things it didn't work out.

However, I should be going to Japan this upcomming summer on a shorter exchange program! I'm quite excited.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 11-15-2008 12:17
Joel,

thanks!

I have just even arrived at Kyoto a few hours ago and just wanted to have a short look into the forum.

No, of course I don't mind you're asking!

Allow to let me come back to this later on, but what I have stated in my occupational backgrounds won't change that much.

To the journey. The travel was a bit challenging. By the way. It wasn't the Shinkansen (High-Speed) train which I have used it was the regular JR train and the travel took ~ 1 1/4 hrs + 20 minutes by the subway (Karasuma line) from Kyoto station to the congress center (Kokusaikaikan station) +  1/2 hr. by taxi to get to the hotel.

However, even though it was a tough trip (by no means to be comparable with what our greatly appreciated fellow jon20013 is experiencing each time he is getting to and back from Kazakhstan, but however...), I'm a bit rattled now and need an hour or two to find some sleep.

But I'll come back to the forum as soon as possible - most likely after the conference.

Best regards,
Stephan

P.S. When you're going to Japan in summer, you truly don't need any kind of heavy clothes. :-) At least as far as you go to Osaka in Summer! But I guess you've already known that before...
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2008 12:25
My wife said maybe an hour and it's really close. Can't argue with a native plus her brother attended college in Kyoto. Always tried to get me there but never had the time. I second or third the motion for Hiroshima. I spent around 2 years in that city, very cool. Or just get out away from the foreigner hot spots and deal with regular ol' Japanese.

I used to drive off into the country just to get away from the typical tourist stuff. Enjoy!!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / SHINKANSEN Osaka - Kyoto - Osaka (Travel Time)