Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT School
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-10-2008 21:28
First day with GE. Intense, but interesting!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-11-2008 13:10
Soak it up Fran..... you'll need every drop of it on Fri....LOL
Good Luck this week. All that sound theory is interesting, but can overload you on that first day with all the new terms and definitions...it will all make much more sense by Fri...I promise.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-11-2008 17:04
John, it's starting to make sense already today! Thanks for the feedback.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-11-2008 17:09
Have a good week.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-15-2008 03:19
Made it! Thanks for your support.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-15-2008 11:06
w00t!...CONGRATS TO YOU!...Now couple that transducer and get your hours in ;-)
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-15-2008 13:28
Good job!  (Of course we figured you'd do OK - you are a CWI after all).  Now the fun begins.  Hopefully, the welders will gouge out the rejects "layer by layer" until the defect is found.  That's when you get that good feeling - to see that the indication is real.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-15-2008 18:54
You guys are the best! Thanks again.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-11-2008 17:30
Just wait unitl you get to FPADSCRYN - it all comes together.  You'll know what I mean when you get there, but that might be in week 2.  (It was when I went to Hellier last Feb.)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-11-2008 17:57 Edited 11-11-2008 18:04
LOL...Yup!...and don't leave out DDI....as Diameter increases, Damping increases, and Intensity decreases
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-12-2008 17:02
Chet,

Just went over that this morning (day three)...works for me! Thanks.
Parent - - By dafeeder (*) Date 11-28-2008 16:36
I have a question for anybody that is willing to help.  Out of these options for someone that has NO NDT training which education route would you suggest a person take?  Has anybody used the NDT online training(link #2)?  If I went to one of the training centers (GE or any of the others) do I need to take all of the Level 1 & 2 courses offered?  Cowley JUCO seems like the cheapest option but will I get the same training in 2 or 3 months from some of the other training centers that will take me 2 years at a JUCO(I have a family to feed).  I realize I will be starting on the bottom whichever route I take, but I just want to make sure I get started right.  I know if I get the two-year Associate of Applied Science degree from Cowley it should open some doors but will it make that big of a difference in the end?  Sorry guys I know some of these are dumb questions, but I have made enough career mistakes over the last 20 years and I don't really have time to make another at the age of 44.

http://www.cowley.edu/departments/it/ndt/index.html

http://www.ndt-training.org/online_training.htm

http://www.geinspectiontechnologies.com/en/training/course_list.html

https://www2.apply2jobs.com/acureninspection/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=162&CurrentPage=8

http://www.nde.com/training/index.htm
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2008 20:35
I went to the Krautkramer(now GE Technologies) classes only because we had a Krautkramer USN50 here at work at the time that I was learning to UT. I didn't want to have to learn a new machine plus have to learn the material presented in the UT class. They used the same machine that we had so it made navigating the menus in the machine alot easier for me. I took the Level I course and then came back and practiced and gained a little experience under our Level III to put to work what I had learned in class...then several months later(almost a year) I went back to Lewistown and took the Level II. Many people stay two weeks and take both classes back to back, so it is really up to you and how fast you want to approach it. Be aware that the experience requirement for both levels still need to be met before you can work as a Level II...many companies use ASNT-TC-1A as a guideline/recommended practice for their NDE programs. BTW, I'll be 44 my next Birthday ;-)
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-02-2008 03:47
I'll be 53 next July, and I plan on the GE Level II that month! You can't learn too much!
Parent - - By dafeeder (*) Date 12-02-2008 15:11
John and fbrieden thank you for the information. 
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2008 15:46
I didn't comment on the online style of learning, mainly because I just don't get as much out of that type of learning environment as I do with the hands on approach, but that is just me, others may learn sufficiently through that medium. Someone can show me something and I can understand how it works, but just reading about it, the point doesn't ring quite as clear for me.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 12-05-2008 16:11
I am currently going to Central Piedmont Community College for NDE.  They have great instructors from EPRI.  I would strongly suggest getting your AAS in NDE.  The 40 hour classes you get just enough training to push a probe.  The college route you get everything or you can concentrate in on area like UT, RT, ET.

I think that eventually the NDE workforce will start to get saturated and the people with degrees with get the jobs over newbies with the 40 hour training.

When I went to the fall ASNT congference in Charleston I spoke with six different testing/consulting companies and they all wanted either level IIs or someone right out of college with all the principles.  They all said that they have people now that they hire off the street who don't know even know how to spell NDE and send them to 40 hour training.  They still can't pass their level I tests after a year.

I say go to college even though it may take longer but it will be better in the future. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT School