Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Starting in a welding career
- - By DJN87 (*) Date 11-11-2008 03:35 Edited 11-11-2008 03:42
I have been welding since I was in 7th grade and after graduating high school moved Texas and started working in a yard building frac equipment. I ended up moving back home for a while to help the family but I am  wanting to get back in the industry. I have the rig and tools but feel I still lack some training and experience. I would love to get in to the pipeline but still I would like to learn how to tig incase I need a fall back in event that pipelining dies out. I have been thinking about going to a school yet they dont seam there worth the money I like to find a place to learn downhill to pass x-ray and fitting I have learned alot already just feel I need some polishing around the edges. Just curious to see if anyone knows of a way to go thanks.
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 11-12-2008 17:01
Check www.welding.org to see what is offered at Hobart Institute.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-12-2008 22:32
Hello DJN87, and WELDCOME to the forum!  This is the place to come to if you have questions, and it seems you have a large one.  I'll try to help you out here a bit. 

First, if you have a rig and tools, then I would guess you could probably head out and try to hire on, undoubtedly as a helper first.  Starting out as a helper, even in a shop, is a great way to learn to do it right, as long as you are blessed with a fair teacher to learn from. 

Second, you might not want to knock the formal schools; there are many professionals in the teaching side of our industry, and their sole purpose is to teach you what you need to learn.  Not to mention, accredited schools usually have pretty decent job placement programs. 

You may also want to seriously consider just what you want to do in the industry.  It sounds like you're pretty set on pipelining, which is fine, but there are many other options available, such as shipbuilding, general construction, aviation, and fab shops. 

In short, how you start out completely depends on what you want to do, and how much effort you throw into it.  Good luck!
Parent - By DJN87 (*) Date 11-13-2008 01:38
Thank you for the advice when you head out to be a helper im guessing that I need to be riged up or not? Plus is this the right way to move into inspection and quality control?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Starting in a welding career