Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 0xygen bottle rack for rig
- - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 11-12-2008 03:36
Im looking for some ideals to build a rack that sits horizonal to hold the oxygen bottles. It does not have to be fancy, but secure. Thanks.
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 11-12-2008 04:32 Edited 11-12-2008 04:34
Ive seen several different ways, stacked on top of each other in front of machine or behind machine, side by side in front of machine or behind machine, both ways enclosed around guages and guages exsposed. Also at a 45? degree angle from eachother enclosed or exsposed. In the void's when enclosed is where the umbrella, strait edge's, and furnature clamps etc. go. If enclosed, as wide as cab, and at 45? degree angle there is enough room to store rods or a beveling machine up to 12'' or chopsaw depending on brand. On top of rack you will have room for cooler and a reel or 2. In both cases as far as securing them there are many ways to do so. The simplest I think is a piece of plate cut to except the neck fastend with a bolt mounted on the rack itself so you just have to remove the nut. I hope this helps. If these dont strike your fancy pm me and I will send you some more ideas.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-12-2008 05:41
O2 bottles can be carried and used horizontally. Just make sure the acetylene is vertical up! Acetone in the colloidal storage system of acetylene cylinders is corrosive to "rubber seals" and is not only unsafe but is illeagal to USA, DOT regulations to carry in the horizontal position.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-12-2008 14:38
Superflux

I believe it is also illegal to carry Oxygen and other High Pressure Cylinders in the horizontal position.  They were designed to stand upright.

One more item to consider.  The bottles have to be secured to the vehicle so that they cannot be wiggled by hand when they are secured.

Joe Kane.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-12-2008 21:17
IMO it's legal to secure your oxy bottles on a welding rig horizontal. Close to half of them are that way now.
It's not legal for the welding supply truck to secure oxy bottles horizontal.
The DOT regs apply when you are carrying over 500 lbs. of product, so you would have to have on board 500+ lbs of oxygen not counting the cylinders themselfs. Then you would also have to have the truck placarded, DOT number, log book, health card ect.

That's the way my welding supply explains it. They had the appropriate pages of the law printed up and handed it out to customers with rigs for a while as a defense against over enthusiastic DPS officers.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-12-2008 05:50
my rack is a box type but i have seen casing cut and welded together to hold the oxygen bottles side by side or 1 on top of the other
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 11-12-2008 17:08
ยง 29 CFR Ch. XVII (7-1-08 Edition)
1926.350 Gas welding and cutting.
(2) When cylinders are hoisted, they
shall be secured on a cradle,
slingboard, or pallet. They shall not be
hoisted or transported by means of
magnets or choker slings.
(4) When cylinders are transported by
powered vehicles, they shall be secured
in a vertical position.
(5) Valve protection caps shall not be
used for lifting cylinders from one
vertical position to another. Bars shall
not be used under valves or valve protection
caps to pry cylinders loose
when frozen. Warm, not boiling, water
shall be used to thaw cylinders loose.
(9) Compressed gas cylinders shall be
secured in an upright position at all
times except, if necessary, for short periods
of time while cylinders are actually
being hoisted or carried.
(3) Fuel gas cylinders shall be placed
with valve end up whenever they are in
use. They shall not be placed in a location
where they would be subject to
open flame, hot metal, or other sources
of artificial heat.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-12-2008 23:56
jarsanb

Thank you.  I didn't have the 49CFR when I answered the earlier post.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-13-2008 02:31
i have carried my bottles horizontally from day 1 and have been stopped numerous times all they ever said about my bottles was what is in them. I live in south texas and they use them to transport drugs across the border. It mostly depends on the company you are contracted to for instance Conoco your bottles have to be vertical at all times and gauges off and capped when not in use
Parent - - By lonestarwelder7 (**) Date 11-13-2008 22:59
I just got off the phone with the comercial vehicle enforcement, C.V.E., a branch of the D.O.T. and they said that in the state of Texas you as a welder can carry them (02 bottles) however you want as long as they are secure and protected. You can even leave the gauges on if you want, IF you have the proper caps. (OSHA and DOT approved). I would call your local C.V.E and ask anyway.  This is assuming you are driving a class 3 or 4 vehicle, any higher class and rules change.
here are some pics of my caps and my  faceplate I just put on.
Attachment: cap.jpg (437k)
Attachment: TXfaceplate.jpg (274k)
Attachment: 02cap.jpg (235k)
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-14-2008 02:42
where did the faceplate come from?
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-14-2008 03:15
Most of them come from here:

http://www.decalshoppe.com/home_page
Parent - By lonestarwelder7 (**) Date 11-14-2008 18:37
I know i didnt pay that much 4 them. 25.00 is all i spent 4   2 of them. they dont have the serial numbers on them, but i like'm.
heres the one on my backup machine.
Attachment: backup.jpg (38k)
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-13-2008 00:17
Here is the rack I built for my truck recently, 10" pipe with a short piece of 6" for the retainer on the valve end. 10" on the other with 5/8 round stock on the bottoms to slide the tank on. I went with the end plate retainer mainly because set bolts can be a pain in Minnesota winters.
Attachment: IMG_6696.JPG (173k)
Attachment: IMG_6697.JPG (214k)
Parent - By patg (**) Date 11-13-2008 02:20
i have mine stored verticly and never had a problem. dow chemical would throw a fit if you diddn't have @ least three sides enclosed.
been stopped several times for alleged speeding, gauges on and all nobody ever says nothin
Parent - - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 11-13-2008 02:36
I like uphills set up. Very simple, and secure. Thanks for the pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Plus a material list. Awsome!
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-13-2008 03:17
Thanks,
I suppose you could wrap some thin stainless over the top to satisfy safety people. As far as driving with the guages on I did have some double walled 3/8" ID teflon hoses made with stainless braid on the bottles on my last truck with the regulators mounted inside the tool box. The hose is rated at 4000 psi and has a burst of 15,000 psi and is compatable with almost and combo of gasses or chemicals. I had them made at a Parker hose dealer and cost about $90.00 for two 4 foot hoses. I am going to use them over as soon as I get back to working on it.

Dave
Parent - - By Danny Lilly (*) Date 11-13-2008 03:33
Cool, I guess you could cut some thin walled pipe in half, and weld it on top for safty reasons. I reckon stainless would be kind of pricey?
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-13-2008 03:40
You could wrap it in thin aluminum or find someone who works at a resteraunt supply or a semi repair shop and horsetrade them out of a piece of stainless from a damaged door or some scrapped out kitchen unit. Best of luck
Dave
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-14-2008 02:44
What's the deal with the one rating on your post?? Sounds like someone has a personal problem & is taking it out on members they don't like. Cheap shotting coward.
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 11-14-2008 03:23
I didn't know this was a political posting, I dont hardly know anyone. Sometimes the dog bites you. OH well sure was a nice day EH?
Dave
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-14-2008 03:28
Yep. Same 'ol stuff. What do you expect though.  Not too nice here, drizzle & dark all day.

Just gotta love Michigan. S.W.
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 11-14-2008 03:51
S.W.
Do you ever look on ironplanet.com? They have some 10 minute auctions and get some miller corded welders from time to time. I have noticed some decent prices.
Snow here on Friday. Dont you just love -25 and windy?
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 0xygen bottle rack for rig