Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fillet Welder / Welding Operator Qualification Requirements
- - By Nalla (***) Date 11-12-2008 08:39
Dear Friends
AS PER AWS D1.1 TABLE 4.11 ( REF FIG 4.37 )WHERE TEST PLATE THK-12mm - Test position 3F - Require Fillet Weld Break Test and Macro-etch test.
Question - IS IT MANDATORY OR ONLY BREAK TEST SUFFICIENT. BACK IN MY SHOP. NORMALLY WE ONLY CARRY OUT FILLET WELD BREAK TEST.
Appreciate any help
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-12-2008 08:50
Nalla

Welcome to the Forum!

I think your asking whether the Macro-etch is required for a welder performance qualification test on fillet welds.

If that is your question..   The answer is "yes"  the macro etch is required if you wish to comply with the code.

The etch procedure is not difficult... And Amonium persulfate (one type of etching regent) is easy to come by even in the Phillipenes.
Parent - By Nalla (***) Date 01-28-2009 09:19
Mr. Lawrence.

1) Embrassing for me to ask this silly question>> How to post new question in AWS Forum.
2) To minimize number PQR qualifications, currently I'm intend to  use 01 test specimen and carry out all the appropriate mecahnical tests , hardness test and CVN tests meeting AWS D1.1,ASME SECT IX, ABS RULES & DNV RULES. using 1 test specimen as described below
Typ.Structural Test specimen detail - Pl thk-25.4mm x 800mm(L) x 250mm(W)x Double-V groove x SMAW or FCAW or SAW or combination multiple process.

Is it possible and acceptable to Codes/Rules. I personally dont see why this approach not possible? If not possible form codes/rules perspective, pls guide me. Do I sound crazy?Appreciate any help
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fillet Welder / Welding Operator Qualification Requirements