Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UT testing for groove welds
- - By burikg (*) Date 11-13-2001 09:50
Dear All,

In Europe as I know there is no any standard for UT inspection for groove welds where plate thickness is less
than 1/4" (6mm). Is there any U.S standard for UT inspection for such kind of welds. Maybe ASME BPVC Sec. V. ?

Geza Burik, EWE, Budapest, Hungary
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 11-13-2001 14:36
If you are working with structural plate, try AWS D.1.1
ASME covers pressure vessels and piping.
Parent - - By miguel P (*) Date 11-14-2001 01:02
according to AWS D1.1 the procedures and standards are to govern the ultrasonic testing of groove welds between the thicknesses of 5/16 and 8 in
Parent - - By burikg (*) Date 11-14-2001 09:23
Dear Miguel P,
5/16" is 8 mm. The lowest limit for UT test is 6 mm (1/4")according EN 10160. This is an european standard.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-15-2001 03:57
I think you all are missing his question. He wants to UT material that is less than 1/4" thick and wants to know what standards may exist that address UT of material less than 1/4" thick. Does anyone know if UT is even practical on material that thin? Seems like eddy current would be a better choice for volumetric examination.

Marty
Parent - By burikg (*) Date 11-15-2001 14:54
Thank you Maty,

For quadral tubes which are used in bus body manufacturing the wall thickness is often 1/8" (3 mm), and no much than
1/4" (6 mm). I went around here - Hungary, and almost everybody said that because the receiver size cannot goes under
specific limit the NDT inspector don't use UT testing for thin joints. Mostly they use MT method, or PT.

Only one info I've received about one existing DIN standard for thin tubes UT inspection. If I'l have new info I will tell you.

Regards Geza
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 11-16-2001 16:25
I believe what you are referring to is UT in the "Lamb Wave" or "Plate Wave" mode. This is a fairly common testing process in the aerospace and tube manufacturing industries. As far as I know these are generally automated processes. Plate waves start out as a longitudinal (compression) waves propogating through the part at a somewhat extreme angle compared to that of shear wave. See if one of the NDT guys can help out on this one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UT testing for groove welds