Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Correction of Root Openings
- - By hayesm Date 11-12-2008 22:38
Question: If a root opening exceeds the max allowed by 5.22.4.3 (3/4") (TC-u4a-GF Actual fit-up opening was 1-1/4") and is to be corrected by welding, does a repair WPS need to be written and qualified by testing?

Reasoning: If base metal is restored by welding for mis-located bolt holes, and is required to have a WPS repair procedure 5.26.5, why would you not need a Qualified WPS for the buttering and fill to cap correction of the root opening.

Does this amount of weld filler material affect the design strength of the connection?
Parent - - By Maxpayne575 (*) Date 11-13-2008 02:02
It is my understanding that the same WPS which will be used to make the joint will be used to do the buttering. Your reference to bolt hole repairs is not entirely applicable, the logic being that to repair a bolt hole, you have to have a Repair WPS to weld on a piece that you otherwise would not be welding on, and as stated in 5.26.5, the properties of the base metal ( quench / tempering etc), would be affected. Therefore approval of the engineer is sought.

I hope that makes sense, that is how we apply it here anyways. But I've been wrong before :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 03:24
You should write a repair procedure that is signed off by the EOR so the welder knows exactly what and how the repair is to be performed.

It also sounds like the root opening may exceed the limitation permitted by D1.1 (depending on the thickness of the parts), so that is all the more reason to have the engineer buy into the repair to be employed.

You should not have to qualfy the WPS provided you meet all the requirements of a prequalified WPS.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-13-2008 14:37
Al,
I have to disagree with you on this one.  It is not possible in this situation to meet all of the requirements for a prequalified WPS - the root opening is larger than allowed by Clause 3 of D1.1. 

3.1 states "In order for a WPS to be prequalified, conformance with all of the applicable requirements of Clause 3 shall be required".  Clause 3 has no prequalified joint detail that allows a root opening of greater than 3/4" and has no prequalified joint detail for free edge weld build up.  And as noted per 5.22.4.4 the Engineer must approve welding of a joint with a root opening of greater than 3/4".

I agree that this approaches a non-sensical situation (at 19mm root opening I'm OK with a prequalified but at 20mm now I have to qualify a WPS?), but that is the way it reads.  In the past I have had success at getting the engineer to buy into wide gap situations by demonstrating that the QC system was able to ensure that the welder would indeed follow the existing WPS and not try to weave a one inch gap.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 15:30
Hello Kip;

The WPS used can be written as a prequalified WPS with the exception of the root opening that was described in the post.

We were not given all the details such as what the material thickness was, etc. That being the case, we don't know if the material was 1/2 inch thick or 1 1/2 inches thick. That would have a direct bearing on how much build-up would be permitted on each groove face. As I noted in my response, the issue has to be discussed with the EOR. The EOR has the "power" to deviate from the requirements of D1.1 and can permit a repair that is not considered to be "prequalified" without qualifying the procedure in accordance with Clause 4.

The code is not precise regarding if the 3/4 inch dimension is the sum of build-up on both members or if 3/4 inch is permitted to the surface of each member. Nor does the code institute any additional inspection requirements if the groove face(s) is built-up. This is when tit would be prudent for the EOR to insist that the completed weld be tested using UT or RT to ensure the build-up and completed weld is sound.

Granted, this case sounds a little extreme and we don't know all the details. The EOR would have to be satisfied the resulting weld would be fit for service.

I've had situations similar to this where the procedure required each groove face to be built-up independently of the other. Then when the root opening was reduced sufficiently, once the members had cooled to the minimum preheat temperature (to allow the members to contract), the weld was completed. In each case the completed joint was examined using UT to ensure the welds were sound. In each case the EOR reviewed the proposed procedure and approved it before implementation. The welder was monitored to ensure he followed the repair procedure and no short cuts were taken.

The point you make that you don't want the welder to weave a one inch gap is well taken, that is precisely why I suggested a written repair procedure be developed. This approach does not meet the requirements of a prequalified WPS and that is why the EOR involvement is crucial. I thought I made it clear in my response that the EOR's involvement was essential. Clearly, I missed my mark.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-13-2008 15:53
Al,
No, you were on the money as always and I understood your post and the fact that there is no getting around Engineer approval when you have a root opening >3/4".  I think actually that I was less clear than you.  What I was trying to get at is that (and this is based on personal experience) because the root opening falls outside the limits of any of the Clause 3 prequalified joint details the EOR may insist that a qualified WPS for the application.  To me, qualifying a WPS for the specific application is a less efficient approach than developing a written repair procedure, as you suggest.

Most of my experience of the last 15 years is on very large stiffened plate structures (offshore platforms) and gaps that exceed the WPS limits are an everyday occurrence, with the occasional very wide gap (i.e. greater than the 5.22.4.3 limit of 3/4" [19mm]).  In recognition of this our approach is to prepare a written procedure for weld repair that includes numerous common situations (e.g. removal and reweld of weld defects, excessive gaps in CJP joints, change fillet to CJP due to excessive gap, etc).  This is tied back into the QC system such that there is a method to quickly document these situations, get a dimensional control inspection, get Engineer approval when required, permit/require in-process welding inspection, specify additional NDT, and close it out when complete.

In my experience the 3/4" cut-off point for getting the Engineer involved is reasonable.  If you have a root opening greater than this it is a very good idea to do some global dimensional checks and to further investigate to figure out what is going on - if not you could be painting yourself into a corner dimensionally.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 16:26 Edited 11-13-2008 16:46
Hello Kip;

As is typically the case, we're on the same page once we get the details on the table.

The attached photo is an example of a repair we recently preformed on a box girder. It isn't as extreme as the case discussed in this post, but the methodology could be similar. The situation was that UT detected a problem in the root and several unacceptable indication in the body of the groove weld. The initial air carbon arc excavation resulted in a rather unimpressive groove. The root opening exceeded the maximum permitted by D1.1, so I wrote up a detailed repair procedure for the engineer to review and approve, which he did. The original weld was removed using a track torch so the resulting groove was something that we could work with. The backing bar was tacked to the member that was built up with all the tack welds within the groove. The tacks were then feathered by grinding and then the surfacing (build-up) welding began. The residual stresses of the build-up pulled the backing bar up tight to the opposite member, yet it was free to expand and contract during the build-up operation. Once the build-up was completed, it was dressed by grinding so that a relatively smooth groove face was produced. The assembly was allowed to cool to the minimum preheat temperature to allow the members to contract to their "home" positions and allwed the root to oen slightly. The weld was then completed in a typical manner using both stringers and weave beads. The weave beads were limited to 1/2 inch to reduce the chance of entrapping slag along the edges of the weld. The completed weld was allowed to cool and then it was checked with UT.

Best regards - Al
Attachment: Built-upRootFace13Nov-08.pdf (163k)
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 11-13-2008 16:43
Al,
Nice work.  This looks very much like how we do things on our projects, though we normally have two sided welds and as such use ceramic backing (unless we have a monster gap).
Kip
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-13-2008 14:50 Edited 11-13-2008 14:54
5.22.4.4 indicates that root openings greater than those allowed by 5.22.4.3 may be corrected by welding only with the approval of the engineer.  Once notified of this issue, the EOR will instruct you how to proceed with the correction, or will instruct you to submit for approval a detailed procedure on how you intend to get the joint back into tolerance.

Edit:

I was in the process of responding to 803056's post, but after posting, saw that kip had already posted the reference to 5.22.4.4 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Correction of Root Openings