Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder qualification & certification
- - By mike43302 Date 11-13-2008 05:09
What is the difference between a welding certification from a testing lab & one from an AWS certification from an accredited test facility. My employer had us take weld tests under the supervision of a local school & the specimens were tested by Stork Herron Testing Laboratories in accordance with AWS D1.1(06) Structural Steel Welding Code; SMAW 1" A-36 Vertical & Overhead Groove Weld Test. I recieved a certificate, card & qualification test records. Is this an AWS certification? If not, what is its weight as compared to an AWS certification? Hopeefully I worded everything so it is understandable what I am asking. Thank you.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-13-2008 06:28
I am pretty sure you need to test at an accredited test facility to get an AWS certification.
It sounds like you may have an AWS qualification. there is a difference between qualification and certification.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2008 11:26 Edited 11-13-2008 11:33
Mike... Welcome to the Forum,

You are actually asking a couple of questions... they are both good.

The difference between an "AWS Certified" and a welder "Certified to AWS Standards" is that the AWS Certified welder had the test done at an accredited test facillity. When you have your tests at an ATF and pass (and pay yet another fee) your name will be posted on a national registry (for a short while) on an AWS website (that just about nobody reads)

The welder performance qualification test record "certified to AWS standards" has gone through the exact same rigor of inspection and testing as the welder performance qualification test record from an ATF.

Stork is one of the biggest and most respected testing labs on the face of the earth... Nobody has a better reputation.  The paper you carry is every bit as valid as paper from an accredited test facillity.

I don't know personally of anybody who requires welders to be tested at an AWS accredited test facillity. 

An accredited test facillity must go through an audit by the AWS to make sure they have the right equipment, That the staff has sufficient training and certification, and that a quality program is in place at the facillity.  It costs money for this audit and frankly, much of industry doesn't care if a lab is an ATF or if it isn't... There is not a single ATF in the state I live in or the state that borders us to the west, yet plenty of welders get certified to the highest standards.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2008 15:04
Mike,  Lawrence worded the issue very nicely.  There are no AWS Test Facilities in my state either.  I have welded in many states for several companies and my certs are recognized by all I have dealt with, from inspectors to company management.  The first company that I tested through in Port, OR back in the mid 70's was not an ATF and I still carry those papers.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 11-13-2008 21:14
In Wisconsin:
Wisconsin Statute #Ind.53.63 requires that all structural welding done in the State of Wisconsin be performed by state-certified welders. The only structures exempt from this requirement are two-family or smaller dwellings and buildings used solely for agricultural purposes.

There are a number of 'State Certified Examiners" across the state that certify structural steel welders.  The certification is in acordance to the AWS D1.1 code, but they are not called "AWS Test Facilities"...or Accredited by the AWS.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder qualification & certification