Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Deer Season
- - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-13-2008 13:53
Well, let's get off the economy and politics for a thread.

This weekend marks the start of the Michigan Firearm deer season, and I can't wait!!!  After working 6-7 days for the last 3 months I'm looking forward to next week off.  It is so relaxing to just sit in the cedar swamps for hours.  Last year I scored a real nice 6 and a small 8.
I think many of the south western states already have had their season, or it's still going now.  So, how are you guys doing?  Any big ones yet?

I expect this season to be much different than years past here in our state.  Late this summer a deer on the west side of the state tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease.  This deer was not part of the wild herd, rather it was a private herd deer.  This prompted the state DNR to completely ban deer baiting and feeding for the entire 2008 season.  They (DNR) believe that this is passed on from body fluids such as saliva and touching noses while eating on a small bait pile.  Now a lot of the guys that bow hunt have said they have seen a big reduction in the amount of deer being taken.  The state farmers are up in arms over this since carrots, shell corn, sugar beats, and apples used for deer bait are estimated to be a million dollar plus crop.

I have never hunted over bait even back when I did bow hunt.  I always found the real quality bucks steer clear of that stuff, it's kind of like saying "here I am".  Big bucks don't get big by making mistakes like eating that pile of apples in the middle of an oak stand.  Sure it's nice to see a lot of deer every day when hunting over bait, but they are usually does and little guys.  I have been much more successful by putting the time into scouting and learning the deer movement patterns versus just throwing down a bag of corn and sitting over it for a week. 

Hopefully I'll post a picture in a week showing how good (or bad) our season really is.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-13-2008 18:16
I haven't been hunting since 1994.  I lived in Washington State then, and I went after mule deer in the Cascades, on the eastern flanks overlooking Leavenworth, and blacktails on the Olympic Peninsula.  It was getting too crowded, and people were actually shooting each other out there, usually over morel mushrooms.  One day I followed a trail to the treeline in the Cascades and saw 4 people that morning.  Too many folks in the woods for me.

Now, my wife has a lifelong dream to take a trophy, so I am teaching her to shoot and when she is comfortable enough, I will buy her a hunt, probably in NM.  I'll go along, but just with my camera.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 00:18
MDG,
  Keep us posted and don't let this happen to you. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 00:19
Ouch!!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 00:26
Thats what I have this pic labeled as "OUCH!" LOL
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-14-2008 02:28
he must sat there for a week just to pass that movement i agree ouch was it a c section lol
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-14-2008 06:55
a good one for Leno's headlines
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-14-2008 14:15
I really hope I don't sh** a deer, especially with horns :(  that would NOT be good
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:25
LOL, nobody want to get a trophy buck that way. Probably the only time one would hope for a breech delivery.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Deer Season