Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Auto bailouts
1 2 3 Previous Next  
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 15:18 Edited 11-13-2008 15:22
I can not beleive the set of nut's that it takes to ask for a bailout when this is the average.

It costs about $1,255 to manufacture an average family car, but when were talking a luxury vehicle or sports car it costs about $2745. Manufacturing is cheap, and car companies make about 12,000% profit on the average car.

A new car is second only to a home as the most expensive purchase many consumers make. According to the National Automobile Dealers Association, the average price of a new car sold in the United States is $28,400.

Lets see, they make them for very little money, sell them for an enormous profit, THEN they have the nuts to ask for a bailout?

What the he** kind of sense does that make? Am I missing something here?

Seems to me they could lower the selling price, therby making them more affordable to the average American, generating more sales, thus more profit.

I have a big problem being involved with bailing out anybody who makes 12,000% profit!!! SCREW THEM!!!!!!!!

If I am misinterpreting this, someone please set me straight, because at this point in time, This is, IMHO, the dumbest crap I have heard in a few days. WHAT NEXT???

jrw159

EDIT: Agian, I don't give a white rats pink little a** about the politics, I just do not see the sense in it.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-13-2008 15:29
Are you sure the $1200+ is not just labor?  I worked in the auto industry for 8 years, and the figures they fed us were quite different.

GM was selling its small cars at a $200 loss per car in order to raise their CAFE to the level where they could sell all those SUV's at a $5K profit.

Their unbridled greed is what got them into trouble.  It costs about $1.5B to tool up a body plant just for welding and stamping. I know because I worked for the largest autodie and robotic welding supplier in the world at the time.  If the car/truck does not have a long enough
run at the predicted sales rate, they lose their shirt.  They invested billions in SUV plants, and now people are coming to their senses and want smaller vehicles again.  I think the losses are legitimate, but I blame the auto execs for their own stupidity.  I mean, I was only making $20 an hour as a robot programmer 10 years ago, and I had the common sense and foresight to predict this whole thing in its entirity.  My wost fears came true.  Thank God I got out of Detroit when I did.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 15:35
OBEWAN,
  No I am not positive that that is not just labor, I am still digging. This is another reason for my question. I know there are a few forum members who have been in the auto industry, so I am hoping someone can help me make sense out of this. The closest I was ever to the auto industry, was transit bus manufacturing. Somewhat comparable, but still quite a bit differant when it comes down to it.

I appreciate your response and am looking forward to learning more about this.

Thanks,
jrw159
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-13-2008 17:30
I think the numbers you have are the "legacy" cost in every vehicle.  That is the cost for them to carry all of the retired bennies and pensions that were negotiated when the business was booming.  Now that people are living longer and health care cost skyrocket, the legacy cost of a vehicle continue to rise.

Obewan also has a good point, the labor cost are very low however the capitol and indirect cost are really high when the projected sales fall way short of the estimates.

Now to fuel this discussion, why does everyone have a hard time with the auto industry when just a few years ago the Gov't. did the same thing with the airlines???  I don't remember this forum lighting up for that one...Or was that ok because times were good?

Living in Michigan and working in this industry for 10 years, I can say this state is in BAD shape because of the auto slow down.  We are flirting with double digit unemployment.  Three years ago my plant had over 300 direct workers, today it's 98.

I can't say I'm in favor of the proposed bailout, but you guys that say F*** those dumb A****, let them tank don't know how much this industry supports our economy.  From the ore mines to the rail lines to Texas oil wells and the trucks that haul the goods, this is much bigger than some line worker in Michigan going on unemployment.  Every time I hear that Car Company A is cutting 1500 blue collar and 10% of white collar, it hits close to home, my friends and neighbors, good people with family. 
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-13-2008 18:11
I had thought about the prospect of a taxpayer-backed bailout for the auto industry in the same light as the one for AIG and other large financials.  The bailout is actually the lesser of two evils, since these large manufacturers employ thousands of Americans who don't necessarily have any other skill base to rely upon (talk about legacy!); therefore, a larger number of the newly unemployed would not necessarily be able to find work again.  Go down one tier, and you have all the suppliers to the manufacturers, which would lose a large portion of their daily business should the Big 3 go under.  All their employees would then be subject to the unemployment rolls.  One more tier, and you're talking about thousands of corner stores, gas stations, Red Lobsters, IHOPs and grocery stores, out of business, just like that.  So.  On one hand we have widespread unemployment and business closures.  On the other hand we have a crushing tax bill, but at least we're still working and making things. 

For those who don't know me, this by no means is an endorsement for the bailout plan.  My 2 cents' worth...soon to be 2 cents' worthless.  :)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2008 18:14
MGD,

I worked for UAL in 2001 when 911 changed everything and rode it out for another 2 years into their bankrupsy... I don't think I spoke out publicly against the company or the reasons behind their bankrupsy until I parted with them in 2003.....Never bite the hand that feeds you eh?  I just diddn't think it was ethical or wise to publicly criticize my employer in print. But the forum brushed on the subject.
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=22938;hl=bankrupt

But I was against the Airline bailouts in 2001-2002  My coworkers thought I was crazy...  Ok maybe I am... One of the reasons that motivated me to leave the company was my disagreement with the Mgmt/Union pressure for a government bailout..... It is unethical in my opinion... 

At least Iacoca and Chrysler payed back their bailout.  (was against that one too)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-13-2008 18:42
GM is going to one shift at the LGR plant here in Lansing. This plant makes the Cadillac CTS & variants. One of their most profitable selling cars. Last I knew, the clear profit margin for a CTS was around $9000. The rest, as you pointed out, goes into "Legacy" benefits & overhead. There are aprox. 3 retirees to every one individual actually employed. This current situation will put over 800 locals out on the street. Sure, they will collect unenjoyment & SUB pay benefits, but it doesn't seem real likely they are going to get called back any time soon. Especially if the economy keeps going the way it is. Currently, there are aprox. 5200 total GM employees in town at three plants. 15 years ago, there were well over 11,000.

If the people don't get picked up by Area or Extended Area Hire, they might be better off looking for a job somewhere else. It's hard to say, but when GM had big layoffs here in the late '80's, some of those guys were laid off for over six years. The SUB pay ran out in a big hurry, insurance in 90 days as well. Some guys not even seeing SUB benefits for more than four to six months. After the unenjoyment ran out, that was it. A major slowdown or layoff here would devastate Lansing's economy. Like you also pointed out, MANY, MANY things are linked to the auto industry. If GM goes belly up, a lot of local & other businesses will fail subsequently. Not to mention, retirees losing their pensions. I personally see it coming. I just didn't think they could continue to pay heavy "Legacy" benefits forever, regardless of how much cash they have on hand or continue to make.

It's hard to say. Even though I don't work there any more, I know our local economy is heavily dependent on GM's success. Just look at Flint, MI if you want to see what happens when 80+% of a city's tax revenue & economic support structure disappears. I don't think things look good for GM either way. As far as a bailout, I really couldn't say one way or the other if it's going to fix anything long term. I do think a restructuring, much like the airlines is coming. After declaring bankruptcy, they can relieve themselves of any contractual responsibility to the UAW & offer workers their jobs back at half what they were making before, with a completely different benefits structure. I know a dude that was a mechanic for Northwest in Detroit & it essentially happened that way for them. Not a good situation. Too many GM employees are banking on that $30+ per hour paycheck & free health benefits until they retire. I wouldn't be counting on that a whole lot longer if I were them.

Michigan would tank for sure if the automotive industry went away completely here. Doubtful that is going to happen entirely, but it's not good either way.

FWIW S.W.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-13-2008 19:19 Edited 02-22-2014 20:11
Lansing has been getting pounded for about 10 yrs now.  My mom is thinking about selling her house there to move to an assisted living facility.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-13-2008 19:31
Yeah, I do believe in organized labor. The problem is, when is enough enough? In a lot of non union sweatshops, what you described is commonplace. Demmer is like that here. 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. A welder (NOT a weldor, just a MIG monkey) makes about $12 an hour. What would frustrate me at GM was when people would complain about money & say we didn't make enough, when we were getting about 30 per hour, plus benefits without any out of pocket cost for our entire family. They offered a buyout almost 3 years ago & they gave me $70,000 to leave with no return rights. A lot of people told me I was stupid, that I was throwing my pension away. I just thought to myself that there probably wouldn't BE a pension for me twenty years down the road when I wanted to retire.

The way things are looking now, I can only hope the guys I was working with get something when they decide to retire. It's a bad situation, bailout or no bailout. I personally don't see it doing anything but putting a band aid on the situation myself. A coperate restructuring is coming, I'll bet my XMT MIG runner on it. :-)

I didn't know you are from here! Nice to hear from someone formerly local. Metrinka on here is from Ann Arbor. See ya! Steve.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 20:16
I never thought the "Bailout Phenomena" would get this out of hand.  OK, banks.  Then mortgage companies.  Now Automakers.  SOB when will it stop.  I guess what any company could do now is start blowing money then once the books looked horrible, ask for a bailout.  When WalMart as a  pi** poor Christmas sales season, they will hit Uncle Sam up in the Spring just because their ROI is not that big.

The pond is getting too small for all the fish in it.  Somebody is gonna have to go.  Too bad its probably gonna be us crawdads. LOL
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-13-2008 20:48
Yep. Not looking good for anyone really. I honestly don't think a bailout will help GM. Not for long at least. It's collapse has been coming for quite some time. It won't be pretty when it happens either. Lansing is the longest continuous manufacturer of automobiles in the history of them. More cars have been made here than anywhere else. When LCA was running seven years ago, we were pumping out over 1000 cars a shift times two shifts! Roughly 10,000 units a week. GM has had a stake here since it's beginning.

My, how things have changed. Us crawdads are screwed. Really screwed. S.W.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-13-2008 21:45 Edited 11-13-2008 21:47
It's the same with the bums that bought houses they couldn't afford.  Now they are going to get bailed out.  It makes you want to stop paying your bills.  I'm sorry, but if you are stupid enough to buy a house that you can't afford then you shouldn't be surprised when you lose it.

Edit: I forgot to add that if a person is stupid enough to buy a house they can't afford and then lose it, they've got no right to whine about it.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 22:53
But in the same breath if someone was making good money a few years ago and lost their job to the current economic crisis, then there would be a good reason why they can no longer afford that house.  There is, I am sure, more of those than just your average bum that got a "welfare" mortgage plan.  Think about it.  I wish I had some numbers but common sense and basic math should be enough.  If you went from $20/hr to $10 then there will be reporcussions.  I doubt any mortgage company would give out a 200k loan to a "chef" from McDonald's making minimum wage. 

I know some people who are on the edge of foreclosure right now because they lost their jobs with no fault of their own.  If one can't afford a $1000 house payment they won't be able to afford a $1000 rent payment either.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-14-2008 06:11
Bryon:  Another factor is that many of these mortgages were variable interest rate. While they may have been able to [barely] make the payments initally, when the rate went up, so did the payment, and they were SOL.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 06:13
Its a damn shame. 
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-18-2008 14:55
Yep...Buy now, pay later. Those balloon mortgages got a lot of people into trouble. Not a real smart way to go about it IMHO. S.W.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-19-2008 02:02
the payment on the house we lost went up 3 times in 6 months cause of a variable intrest note i told my wife not to sign it but she did when we got the house the payment was 1100 in 6 months it went to 1900
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-19-2008 03:46
F**K. That sucked.  ARMs should be outlawed.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 13:29
Bryon,
I think we can agree to some sympathy for those who have lost their house. I myself lost one when I was unemployed for an extended time. I didn't expect anyone to bail me out. I moved on. And even though the current economic difficulties may be responsible(though in the great majority of cases I do not accept this argument, but for now will do so for argument sake), its not like this is the first time ever for economic difficulties. Mine was the early 80's.
And the fact remains this government simply cannot afford to bail out all the unfortunates. If we try, then we all become unfortunates dependant upon the government.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 14:38
JS,
There is no arguement here.  I have read about some restructuring of mortgages as a requirement of the mortgage companies receiving bailout money.  The plan that I read seems to be fair to the victims of foreclosure.  A plan should help the homeowners and not kill the companies though. 
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 19:36
MDG,
  Thank you for your enlightening response. When it comes to "bailouts" I must admit, I have had my head in the sand, and I am in a learning mode right now.

jrw159
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-14-2008 14:01
jrw,
I think it's really easy to point a finger and criticize when it's someone across the country or the world.  When it's in your own back yard or even your own family, it tends to have a different meaning.  It's like a tornado, everyone thinks they are really bad, but it would never happen to me becomes the mentality.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:22
MDG,
  Yeah, I am a little ashamed at my lack of knowledge when it comes to this. I do not like the idea, but I know there is alot I do not understand about it.

jrw159
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2008 16:14
This is a good thread.

My guess is with the inflated labor rates of U.S. Automakers that the profit on the price of an economy car is very small or a loss and as the sticker goes up so does the profit...  I'm not saying this is wise... If a product cannot be profitable on it's own than maybe something (like 70K tool crib attendents) needs to be adjusted.

My bet is that the lions share of profit comes from financing...  Most manufacturers are now in the loan business and finance most of the cars they sell...  What is the profit in interest on a 7 year auto loan on a car with a 30K price tag??????

My strategy is always to negotiate the price with the dealer allowing them to assume I will finance, get the number I can live with and then write them a check....  They twitch a little, but hey... It's rare that somebody has the nerve to punish a customer with cash.  :)
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-13-2008 21:01
Most automakers have always passed increases in cost on to their customers by increasing the sticker price of the vehicles. The customer has so many choices now & can choose from a wide variety of manufacturers. This trend has hurt the big 3 & a broken union infrastructure  sure doesn't help their cause. The past impressions of the UAW autoworker making 70 grand a year & sleeping half the night have soured many people's opinion of union manufacturing. Sure, some of it is 100% hype, but a good deal of it is true. I saw it myself when I worked there. Then, seen laid off skilled trades workers (who could have went back to work on the line) collecting a $35 per hour paycheck a week to sit on their butts at the JOBS bank, playing cards all day.

Like was said earlier, a lot of it they did to themselves. Now, the gravy train has come to a screeching halt & there's no more honey to go around. They guys working there NOW, who DON'T sleep half the night & DON'T have it made with some easy gravy job are going to pay the price for the ones that did. They will be the ones with no pension & a slashed wage & reduced benefits package in the wake of a corporate restructuring.

Bad stuff. S.W.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-14-2008 06:28
     The Big 3 all have excess capacity, that is plants working with reduced output or plants closed. This costs a lot more per car produced than it used to.

The legacy costs were not a problem when sales volume was high, but it  is an even greater burden as there are early retirement /golden handshake employees who would be working - contributing to the whole rather than drawing from it if the sales volume had not declined. This too is an area where greater expenses must come from reduced income.

My cousin's wife used to work for GM. One of Her friends who made several hundred K /year got an early out, He still gets His entire salary, He lost a company car, and is covered under His wife's insurance, as She still works for GM. Staff reductions like this one don't save the company much money.

There is no easy way for a large company to become a smaller one, and with actions like the one I mentioned above, it is impossible.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-14-2008 12:18
That's about the size of it, rising costs, reduced income. Bad deal for GM & the other big US auto manufacturers.

The poor management for their money, as you mentioned is a classic example of why, in part they are where they are now.

S.W.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-13-2008 15:56
John,
Those figures have got to be mistaken.  Even with the recent drop in prices, steel is still over $1000/ton (even for those that buy in large quantities).  Most autos still have over a ton of steel in them.
Mankenberg
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 16:03
Mankenberg,
  That could very well be, as not much came up when I searched for this. I am just baffled by this. I have no first hand experiance in the auto industry, but have always been told that is takes a fraction of the selling price to manufacture an automobile. Of course, this does not make it true. Thanks for the input.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 16:11
First off John, I loved the "rats pink little a**", bit.  G** damn that's funny as s**t.!!!!!!!!

Second, I am ashamed to be a Dem. and having the California dems aka Pelosi, all for the auto bailout.  On the other hand, I can understand where she is going politically with it.  California is very expensive as you might know.  They are hurting probably more than anyother state right now.  Even before Arnold took office their budget and economy was jacked up.  I think that the whole mortgage inflation BS started there long ago and like most other things migrate inland from there.  A small sh** house in Cali is 5x what it would be in St. Louis.  Its nucking futs!!!

I think that there are a lot of auto plants out there in Cali also.  So I don't blame Pelosi for the move.  But then again, being as far left as I am I say, "F*** GM, Ford, Chrysler" and every other company that killed itself and wants tax money bailouts.  What happend to the idea of letting the market regulate itself?  The Big 3 has made crap for many years and made even crappier business decisions.  Now they have $11,000 off trucks.  Are you kidding me?  11 grand off and they are still making money.  Mother ****ing, son of a *****.  They can go straight too H E double Hockey Sticks.  It would suck having the UAW choking you for years.  And having Toyota and Honda kicking your a** on quality and sales for as long as they have been. 

I don't think anyone as any idea how to fix this one.  The auto makers are a big employer here in the US.  It would be catastrophic to just let them collapse but what are you gonna do.  They screwed themselves and the comsumers for years now they want sympathy.  They need to bow down and make a joint venture with the Japanese.  Use the plants here to pump out Hybrids for the entire world market.  Supply will catch up with demand and make the prices more reasonable. 

I have owned mostly GM products, although I have no loyalty to any company.  I went through a Chrysler period for awhile.  I won't go back, I had too many mechanical problems.  I now have an F150 4x4 and a Kia Sedona.  The Kia has 150k on it.  I rarely change the oil.  And has never had a tune up, gas mileage is a little better than my truck but I have spent $0 on it.

Its like the g** d*** jewelry stores during the After Valentine's Day sales.  80% off everything in the store!!!  80% off and you are still making profit.  Are you kidding me?  SOB!

WhooooWeeeee!  I need some Xanax at times!  :-)
Any way, thats enough for now.  Gotta clean my garage.
Attachment: ratsass.bmp (0B)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-13-2008 16:19
Take them out with your boomerang
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 16:27
Its in the shop gettin' sited in.  I dropped in whilest on a Xanax inhibited hunt in the trophy room at Cabela's.
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 11-13-2008 16:21
Xanax!  Do you know what the profit on Xanax is?!?
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 16:24
Damnit! Kip don't get me started.  I might have to drive to Canada to get my chill pills. LOL
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 16:22
Bryon,
  That is one thing that also sticks out in my mind. The fact that they have these "end of year" sales and are still making profit. WTF??? No sympathy from me yet.

jrw159

EDIT: I added that pic to my collection! LOL
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 16:41
Posted a now illegal comment in another thread a while back that the unions would be sorry for backing the people they voted for. Now the UAW is trying to call in a marker.
That is why Pelosi and crew are backing it. The UAW is one of the largest labor unions in the country, now their members are about to lose thousands of jobs. For all the fears
about the unions being busted, they have now set themselves up for a fall. Auto plants are taking a hit, large capital projects are being deferred or cancelled outright. People won't be buying washers, dryers, furniture etc. Power plants will defer maintenance where they can, and or close outright due to proposed coal restrictions.
All in all, plant after plant, industry after industry, will be laying off people and already are. A good majority of those will be union jobs.

I think I'd have been paying more attention to who's actually buttering my bread than listening to someone telling me what I want to hear of an archaic misguided sense of party loyalty. It's time to stop listening to the talking heads media and take a fresh look at reality.

Now we all are going to pay for this. 1.2 trillion worth coming soon. That is just the upfront cost. How do you feed the people eggs when you've killed all the chickens?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-13-2008 17:08
If I may cry in my beer for a moment...I've been downsized from a "real job" and I've gone out of business from my fabrication shop going belly up for no ones fault but (hello, duh!) maybe I made poor business decisions and sucked at bidding work. So on occaisions, I've sold firearms and other nonessential assets, filled out some applications, paid my debts, got another "real job", even moved 1500 miles to where I could get work. Why is it up to the taxpayers to bail out these various businesses. It's not our fault, and our tax $$'s probably subsidized the original venture.

This is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! You CAN get another job. You're probably not going to like it, it ain't gonna pay what you want (it will build character and make you a better person from the experience), and no matter whether you're the CEO or night shift custodian, with hard work and proper attitude, anyone in America can turn their life around...Maybe next time hmmmmmm....Dang-it, this beer sure is starting to taste salty!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 17:14
We eliminated 51 positions in four states this week. 51 may not sound like alot, but we are not a large company. Thank God for IAS and having a secure position.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-13-2008 18:55
"The UAW is one of the largest labor unions in the country, now their members are about to lose thousands of jobs. For all the fears
about the unions being busted, they have now set themselves up for a fall."

Even though I support Union labor to a degree, you are EXACTLY right. They did it to themselves & now the golden goose ain't laying any more golden eggs. Iaccoca talked quite a bit about that in his first book. I believe Management shares equal, if not even more responsibility for agreeing to it all. They were making big bucks & didn't want a slowdown or strike to hinder that when they were. Things are quite different now & it's too late to make comfortable fix. I personally see a major GM restructuring coming with wages & benefits being slashed. I may be wrong, but I knew this was coming, some years ago when I worked there & seen the lopsided trend for myself.

The economy cannot support $30 per hour unskilled labor jobs anymore. The auto market is too large & margins, razor thin. A lot of people working there think they will retire comfortably out of there just like the baby boomers did, like their moms, dads, uncles & grandpas did. Again, I may be wrong, but a big awakening is coming & it won't be nice when it gets here. S.W.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 18:40
Bryon,
Be careful about complaining too much about bail outs. Someone might mistake you for a conservative.  :)

Then again, the government could take over the auto industry and go into the business of manufacturing cars. And we could name the first cars off the assembly line something more in keeping with its new public ownership like 'The People's Car'.
Oops sorry. Thats already been done.  :)

Couldn't resist.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 18:49
JS,
That is funny.  Although I have never meet any of yous guys on here.  I think that we know each other very well.  I have been waiting for you to chime in on this for a while.  Thanks for being predictable. LOL

Actually I think, and have thought for a while that that would be a good idea.  Imagine that!!!  That would be a fine idea.  A government car company made out of the ashes of some or all of the Big 3.  A company that would put quality before profit.  A company that would address the issues of fuel economy and environmentalism as well as style.  I would buy one. 

We could have an American Welding Society edition 4x4 truck.  With factory welding bed.  A solar powered Lincoln welder in back.  A diesel-hybrid that could get 25 miles a gallon.  With a built-in self-cleaning, spit can/ashtray/gunrack combo painted with either KU Jayhawk motif or Realtree Camo pattern.

WoooooooooooHooooooooooooo.
Man I need a Xanax today!!!!  I am on fire!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-13-2008 17:31 Edited 11-13-2008 17:36
I wonder how much this one costs....
Attachment: NewImage.JPG (0B)
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-13-2008 18:22
What a small world.  My brother-in-law has those same rims, maroon though, on his car.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-13-2008 19:47
Well, I just want to thank everyone for weighing in on this and trying to help me understand a little better. I still have issues with it, but I have learned alot that I did not know.

I also want to thank everyone for keeping it civil and informational.

I am sure this is not the end of this thread, at least I hope not, because I am sure there is alot more to it for me to learn and consider.

Thanks to EVERYBODY,
jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-14-2008 06:43
    All these bailouts are expensive, no doubt about it. If they can prevent a 1929 type depression that lasts a dozen years they are worth it.

If they don't prevent it, We are all in really deep sh_t.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 14:18
Yep, I still have trouble with it though. It is like haveing one of those welders that talks about making $150K to $200K a year ask for a loan until payday.

Not likely to get it from me.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-14-2008 23:32
I don't think it's been mentioned here but one issue that is not applicable to japanese auto makers is health care costs. In the US auto manufacturers to a large extent foot the bill for health benefits, in Japan and europe it's recognized by the government as an intrinsic right to all citizens.

now before we look at this as a freedoms issue or about trying to limit governt or about not wanting to increase taxes etc etc for health care. Lets breakdown the cost issue
America pays some of the highest % GDP of health care among any western nation
American health care outcome is not even close to top 10, simply put our health care is good and can be great but not nearly world class, for what we are paying
you must realize you already ARE footing the bill for people with no health care. And we are taking the most expensive route to do it
You also must realize that medical bills is the leading cause of bankruptcy for individuals.

Basically put those who don't have healthcare, avoid costly doctor visits until they are too sick to function and then seek MORE costly emergency room visits, there's no right of refusal, and many patients have no way of paying so the hospital DOES end up footing the bill and the price is split up and passed onto issurance agencies.  If we switched to a national system it reduces a lot of the inherent inefficiences of paying for people with no health care (something we already do) not to mention relieves employers of a burden that makes it difficult for some industries to compete in a global economy.

I think a lot of people get caught up on national health care for idealogical reasons, that are not inline with what is observed in the rest of the world. I believe in the power of the capitalism but monetizing and capitalizing every industry is the correct path. For example utilities and public works such as roads are systems that don't work well when privatized. Health care is one of those systems.

On the direct issue of the car companies you must realize it's a simple matter of delivering a quality product. Besides other things american auto makers have simply not been able to create a product that competes with the Japanese. and while the japanese companies aren't doing well during this recession they are posting a profit. I think we should really ask why we too can't create a sellable product at a reasonable price. The japanese cars are just as global as the us manufacturers and they have many plants here too but they structure their plants differently.

Finally as with MDG the detroit auto economy goes lock-step with the michigan economy. It's partially our own fault for being so heavily invested in one sector, but the slow demise of domestic auto has seen the michigan economy drop very low, unemployment soar and the tax base evaporate. I'm from Ann Arbor, MI and have many friends and family members working in detroit auto and it's not looking good for them. I'm set to graduate in only a few months and people ask if I'm going to move back to Michigan. But frankly the employement opprotunities are grim in the state right now..
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-17-2008 13:45
The big problem with the big-3 health issue is the number of current retirees.  There are 3 retired people for every worker.  Also, they all get the same UAW contracts, and they used to get 100% health for FREE!!!!  A ZERO $ CO-PAY - FOR LIFE!!!  That may have changed because when I was working in Detroit, they had a huge fight over the issue when the big-3 told the UAW they had to co-pay on health - something like 25% like the rest of the entire world.  I know at GE, I have around a 25% co-pay, and when I retire, my health insurance ends.  Then, I have to get Medicare I suppose.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-17-2008 14:02
Metarinka,
"And we are taking the most expensive route to do it
If we switched to a national system it reduces a lot of the inherent inefficiences of paying for people with no health care (something we already do) not to mention relieves employers of a burden that makes it difficult for some industries to compete in a global economy."

Never in the history of the world, and never will, a government do it cheaper and more efficient than the private sector. Of all the arguments for National Health care, efficiency and cost reduction is probably the most unsupportable of them all. Nothing is more efficient or cheaper once the government gets its hands on it.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-18-2008 02:36
I wish it were true. a Privatized system like ours WOULD be cheaper if everyone could afford/had coverage. Also there is a huge amount of inefficiencies and overhead when you have numerous middlemen insurance companies who are taking their slice of the pie. Also right now the uninsured drastically raise the cost of health insurance for the insured by using expensive emergency and hospital visitations.  This is a case of where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The numbers on this one don't lie. IF you don't believe me look at countries like Germany, France, Switzerland, Canada, Japan, etc they all pay less for universal coverage in GDP. Not to mention some 40 million of our citizens aren't paying into healthcare (no coverage)!

http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml
http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2007/04/health_care_the.html

if you think our current system is more efficient than a single payer system you would be wrong. In fact we are already paying more on administrative costs than europeans
"The administrative costs of our patchwork bureaucracy eat up about 25 percent of health spending, which is why would-be reformers have long focused on these costs. But they aren't the main story. Even in Europe's single-payer systems, administrative costs account for about 15 percent of health spending, once everything is included, according to the Lewin Group, a consulting firm."
- source  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/18/business/18leonhardt.html

for an accurate comparison on spending by country
http://www.npr.org/news/specials/healthcare/healthcare_profiles.html

something needs to be done we pay more than anyone in the world for medical care. There's only room for improvment.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Auto bailouts
1 2 3 Previous Next