Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thanks for the help, here's some pics
- - By devo (***) Date 11-14-2008 12:57
I had a post a while back about books on design of weldments.  While I never did any involved calculations, I did get a much better sense of forces, load paths, etc.  The job just got installed yesterday.  All in all around 2300# of concrete in four bathrooms.  I did the steel frames, and a buddy did the concrete.  Here's some pictures...
Attachment: Holidayinnbarbathroom1.jpg (85k)
Attachment: Holidayinnbarbathroom4.jpg (89k)
Attachment: Holidayinnbarbathroom3.jpg (74k)
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 11-14-2008 14:53
I like how you made an actual table and hid the legs in the wall at each end.  That is much better than one cantilevered from the studs along the back of the frame.  The finished product looks sharp!!  My wife has been really interested in concrete for our counter tops.  She watches all of them home shows and I guess it's the "in' thing.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-14-2008 15:06
I've looked into a lot of different concrete products as a potential business venture earlier this year.  Those tops look nice.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-14-2008 15:40
Nice!

Well done, devo.

Bob G
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-14-2008 15:42
I second that.

Al
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-14-2008 16:10
Nice! I third that!
Parent - By devo (***) Date 11-14-2008 16:45 Edited 11-14-2008 16:52
Thanks for the feedback.  Having only worked six months in a rebuild shop before breaking out on my own, every project is a difficult one.  This was the first job I have done with the concrete fabricator that wasn't a new construction.  We had a few surprises once the walls got opened up(metal framing in one bathroom, wood framing in the other, cinderblock walls in the way) but we got it done on time.  I used flame straightening techniques to correct the distortion, and it came out wonderfully.  The design went through three major revisions, but with the new TurboCAD program I got, it was very easy to make changes.  I'm starting to feel like a real fabricator, but I know my learning is only beginning. 
  P.S.  In a previous thread about this project, I discussed the need for a structural member just under 2" wide to fit into the slot under the sink.  Here is the photo of that detail.  I used 4" channel for that beam, and 3"x2"x.125" A500 tube for the rest.  The legs are 3"x3"x.125" tube.  In the previous discussion about designing this thing strong enough, I realized that deflection and stiffness were my main requirements, as the brittle concrete likes to chip.  I think it's stiff enough...
Attachment: barbathroomdetail1.jpg (89k)
Parent - By steven clark 2 (*) Date 11-14-2008 16:47
that looks great!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thanks for the help, here's some pics