Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pancake Hoods
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 11-16-2008 23:32
Anyone have a problem with their glasses fogging up while using a pancake? How does one go about correcting this.

Thanks,
GH Weidman
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 11-16-2008 23:42
I correct it by not wearing glasses in a pancake.
In certain conditions the lens will still fog even without glasses. No way I can wear glasses in a pancake. Some guys do but won't work for me. Fogged in the winter, and sweat in the summer. I can get away with it under ideal conditions, but of course conditions are seldom ideal ; )
Sorry I can't be of any help but that's the way it is for a lot of guys I know..

JTMcC.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-17-2008 00:35
1Mancrew,
  If it is necessary for you to wear glasses because of a vision issue, then you could look into "cheater lenses" or switch to a regular hood. If vision is not the issue and you are just worried about safety, with a well adjusted pancake hood, it is not required or IMHO necessary to wear safety glasses under a pancake hood. HOWEVER, when you pop that hood up and your helper starts doing his thing, you need to put on the safety glasses. :-)

Keep your hood at as nuetral of a temp. as possible, don't leave it in the tool box in extreme conditions and don't set it on the dash to heat up on the way to work.

jrw159
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 11-17-2008 01:33
I use rain-x anti fog (made for windshields but works on glasses) any ski shop also sells a product called cat crap (really) that is an anti fog paste which you rub on.  They both work well but you need to re-apply every couple of weeks or so.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-17-2008 03:07
Nice tip!!! :-)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-17-2008 03:34
in a similar vain, anything that can reduce the surface tension of water (make it wetter) will work. Bar soap and spit both work well as anti fogging agents.  as a motorcyclist in a pinch I would spit on a rag and buff my visor.

about pancake hoods wouldn't have any helpful suggestions. again from the motorcycle world in the winter I would wear a balaclava or a bandanna to keep my visor from fogging up which worked by deflecting my breath down, a little stiffly in the summer though.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-17-2008 03:41
Liquid dish soap and water.  It works on diving maskes and goggles.
Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 11-17-2008 22:32
try going to a SCUBA shop and pick up some anti-fog drops or gel. this stuff works on masks, eyeglasses, sunglasses, safety glasses, goggles, and several other things.
Parent - - By bullsnbets (**) Date 11-19-2008 00:15
The only time I have problems with my Pancake/ Glasses fogging up is when I have something covering my mouth and nose, (cold weather), where my breath is pushed up into my Hood. Tom Waters sells some really good glasses that fit perfect under a Pancake. He can make them to your specific Prescription also. www.tomwatersonline.com
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 11-20-2008 02:39
Yeah, I got the Tom Waters pipeliner frames but they still fog a little bit.

I tink I'll try some of the anti-fogging agents described earlier. Thanks all for the input!!

GH Weidman
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 11-20-2008 13:07
i'll second the scuba spray
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pancake Hoods