Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ship Repair Welders needed in AK
- - By weldnfool (*) Date 11-18-2008 07:29
A small Ship Repair Facility in Alaska is looking for experienced or beginner welders who want to learn valuable skills used in ship repair. We get into all welding processes, ss, alum, structural steel, piping sys. etc... whatever it takes.  We're looking for welders who dont mind welding upside down in 10-20 deg. w/ the snow blowing sideways in all directions. If ya got what it takes, give me an e
D. Trotter
Welding Forman 
Parent - By vantage500man (**) Date 11-18-2008 21:25
I sent you an e-mail Bear
Parent - - By gsmith21 (*) Date 11-19-2008 01:40
whats the pay look like
Parent - - By weldnfool (*) Date 11-19-2008 03:35
With all the overtime time we're doin, my welders are makin 1300 to 1800 a wk.  The way it works is that, workin in Ak, most co. provide housing at a minimal cost or free, so housing is about $20 a wk.
When we have a big job, which is quite often., theres alot of overtime.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-19-2008 03:49
Damn, I'm unemployed.  But I don't think I am THAT unemployed.  Its in the 40s here and I'm freezin' off my arse.  But I could use the money.  Where about in AK is it?
Parent - By js1369 (*) Date 11-26-2008 01:59
What is the hourly rate, you talked about wages but it is on a wkly basis, with overtime. Never worked in Ak. that seems kinda low. You also mentioned double time pay, was that included in your previouse statement, I am interested in working in Ak. but it has to be worth the pay.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-19-2008 05:34
D. Trotter from Pennsylvania originally? Is that you Don?
Parent - - By weldnfool (*) Date 11-19-2008 06:19
Nope, Ive never been to Penn. But who knows, I could have relatives back there. Im from CA and the only time Ive been east was to Cleveland at Lincolns Weld School in 87.
The job I have posted is in Dutch Harbor, home port to the "Deadliest Catch". We do work on all kinds of vessels. This is the crab processing capitol of the N. Am. and we're the only
Ship Repair Fac. w/ a dry dock between Japan and Seattle.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-19-2008 15:27
Been in Dutch many times, usually boarding a factory trawler for FCA. Cold, and nothing there but a convenience store and a bar.

Don't get your feathers ruffled, but man..............them aint the wages we pros want to see. I couldn't pay my bills with that.
Parent - By octavio morales (*) Date 11-19-2008 18:14
hello weldnfool,
is this a temp/seasonal or full time permanent job? i have all ways wanted to live in Alaska, but being from socal(southern ca) i don't know if i can handle the cold.
Parent - - By Aimec Date 11-20-2008 00:25
I am interested as well.  I can send you my resume if you'll email me.  My email is fpmantels@sbcglobal.net.  Could you give me a few more details - how long is the job, pay rate, location, etc.
Thanks.
Parent - - By weldnfool (*) Date 11-23-2008 05:19
The job is as long as you make it. Its full time and we're busy year round.  The wages and other info are on the previous posts.  Its always lots of overtime and many jobs require sundays, doubletime.
Like I said, we get into all kinds of applications, its a ship yard and salvage co.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-23-2008 14:38
weldnfool,
  PM sent.  /???????

jrw159
Parent - By phaux (***) Date 11-23-2008 17:29
Sent you an email the other day.

Chris Campbell
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-24-2008 18:45
You guys need to understand the situation:

Dutch Harbor is a boat in, plane in, (if the weather isn't too bad - that happens 300 days a year, landing strip is 100 feet.), island. No cars, no action, and colder than you will ever see in your life. It's part of the Alutien Islands. It's an island, not more than 5 miles around, okay? You will work for 20 bucks an hour and leave with a bruised everything. It's equivalent of a sweat shop in bangladesh.......

You will tell stories about it to your grand children if your testicles ever produce warm semen again. I'm just being a friend to all of you out there, as a native born Alaskan............I've been there!
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-24-2008 19:43
I really, really hate to bring this up, but here in Sunny San Diego, the NASSCO shipyard is hiring.  I've been to AK.  Listen to Sourdough.

Bob Garner
Parent - - By octavio morales (*) Date 11-24-2008 20:28
hello bob,
is the only way you can apply for nassco online?
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-24-2008 21:58
Hi Octavio,

Since I live here in San Diego, the most common way to apply that I know of is in person.  But I'm sure the traditional by-mail method will work, too.  I know they're always looking for good welders and the work they do is tops.

San Diego is not a cheap place to live but you can find affordable if you look.  I also know a few welders and engineers that live in Tijuana and commute daily to San Diego (the guys I know that do this are American citizens, but this is the way they save some money.  Tijuana is having some drug gang problems right now that you should be aware of.  And the border crossing wait).

Good luck to you.

Bob G.
Parent - - By weldnfool (*) Date 11-26-2008 04:58 Edited 11-26-2008 08:02
Mr. Sourdough is right about one thing, it is cold here. Another thing is that it is an island and theres not a whole lot to do. But like I said in the previous posts, welders are makin 25 to start and if their good, which all welders say they are, then they get bumped up accordingly. We are doin alot of overtime w/ x2 on sunday, so 15-1800 wk is common.  Now I know NASSCO, I moonlighted w/ them in the late 70s when I was a navy welder, its a good place to work, as many co.s are, but the cost of living replaces the potential to save any $.  The cost of living w/ this gig is probably 20-40% less than the lower 48. Im sorry your so critical of Dutch Harbor Mr. Sourdough, its just a job offer, Im not trying to rip anybody off. Its not a sweatshop condition, yes its hard work, but we do some pretty interesting jobs on some state of the art vessels and we have the equipment to handle anything. A guy in this trade can get some valuable experience and learn alot. I dont know why you feel its your duty to warn people about something that you obviously know little about.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-26-2008 13:31
Weldnfool,
  Sure would be nice if you would answer the PM I sent you.

jrw159
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-26-2008 22:21
I'm just trying to warn them. Why can't you hire some kids that know what bunny boots are already?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ship Repair Welders needed in AK