Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year recert questions!
- - By shortstick Date 11-18-2008 21:20
Ok, my CWI 9th year is comin up, I thought it was a no brainer to just take the test ( and hopefully pass).  Whats all this endorsement stuff?  I orginally took the D1.1 and the other codes don't interest me that much.  Now I understand that the AWS RI cert. is also a comittee approved endorsement.  Any recomendations as to which way might prove to be more advantagious, not only educationally but also monetarily!!    I've just recently started truely using my credentials ( CWI, level II MT,PT,UT ) and wish to add to them,  perhaps ICBO and QSI certs.  I guess my question is, what certs compliment what I already have?
thanks...SS
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2008 12:59
I would say it depends on what you want to do.

If you are interested in structural steel inspection, consider the High Strength Bolting endorsement.

If you are interested in working for a fabricator, go for certification in ultrasonics to compliment your other NDT certifications.

If you want to expand your marketability into industries that may be fabricating something other than structural steel, go for one of the other welding standards like D1.2, D1.5, ASME, etc.

There's any number of directions you can pursue. How about a course or two in auditing so you can move into a position in the QA department?

That's what I like about the new endorsements, they provide an avenue to allow the CWI to move forward rather than simply maintaining the status quo.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By shortstick Date 11-19-2008 21:58
Thanks for the input AL,
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year recert questions!