Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AO GLASS WELD COOL LENSE DISCONTINUED 1990 (locked)
- - By 250-1500 (*) Date 11-19-2008 00:59 Edited 11-19-2008 15:41
Alright i did some investigating. i found this website http://www.dickwhitney.net/RBWAOHistoryIndex.html . mr whitney did some ivestigating and heres what we got.
an email from the man wo discontinued it. im not gonna give his contact info for obviouse reasons.

Dear Dick and Kyle:

Kyle, the lens you are talking about is AOSafety's glass "Weld-Cool" filter plate.  It is a discontinued item since about 1990.  See these two old literature pieces immediately below.

I was the Product Line Director of this product back around 1990 when I discontinued this filter plate.  Kyle, all the stories in your e-mail about why it was discontinued are incorrect.  The reason for discontinuation was a combination of economics and a problem in the manufacturing and processing of the blue base glass.  The blue glass used in the glass Weld-Cool filter plate was a specialized type of cobalt glass ... not just plain cobalt glass.  I could go into copious detail about both the economic and the blue base glass issues but it would serve no purpose.

We do get many calls per year asking if we have a few of these plates in storage or hidden somewhere.  We do not!  When the word went out that we were going to discontinue this item, the entire inventory was bought within a few weeks of the announcement.  We have been offered as much as $500 each if we could come up with a few.  Unfortunately, we have just one plate in archive and it must remain there.  So, I'm sorry, I can't help you get your hands on even one plate.

However, we do offer a similar polycarbonate Weld-Cool plate.  It is our attempt to come out with a polycarbonate replacement for the old glass Weld-Cool filter plate.  It is a bit different but some welders have found that it is better than just standard green filter plates.  The literature sheet for that item is below titled "Weld Cool '99".  This polycarbonate Weld-Cool filter plate makes use of some of the exact technology that went into the old glass Weld-Cool filter plate but welders familiar with the old glass plate say that it simply isn't the same.  They say it is better that standard green filter plates but not quite as good as the old glass plate.  Many welders that have not ever used the old glass Weld-Cool filter plate like the polycarbonate Weld-Cool filter plate.

I hope this information is of some assistance and if I can be of further help, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
John

John
Scientist
Aearo Technologies, a 3M Company
90 Mechanic Street
Southbridge, MA 01550 USA
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 11-19-2008 01:32
Well boys, I guess that says it all. If ya got 'em you better take care of 'em ! Cuz we must've licked the gift horse in the mouth. Good luck guys !
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AO GLASS WELD COOL LENSE DISCONTINUED 1990 (locked)