Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Just passed CWI
- - By unclematt (***) Date 11-19-2008 02:02
Hello all;
  I have been reading these forums for about 6 months and have really enjoyed reading material I find interesting. I had to retake Part B of the exam on Nov. 1st in Portland, Or. I have been sweating the results ever since then but I found out tonight that I passed; barely; but passed. I have been welding for about 17 years and have been around welding all my life. I was mainly involved in the oil and gas industry but I have done welding in other industries such as overhead cranes and projects for the U.S military. I am now ready to get on the other side of the hood and hopefully help other people as I was helped when I was starting out. Question: How hard is it to break out in the inspection industry? I understand I am a green hand and am willing and eager to start on the bottom rung. I want to get as much experience as I can. Again, thanks for the posts and look forward to hearing from you. Matt
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-19-2008 13:19
Unclematt, Congratulations!
and welcome to "the club". Now the real horror begins! You will soon discover that as a CWI, you have just become ("expected" to be anyways) the Guru of all welding prosesses and procedures (and YES, you are expected to be master manipulator of molten metal), instructor, engineer, metallurgist, draftsman/detailer, advice columnist, etc.
All joking aside, being a CWI is a remarkable, challenging and fascinating carreer move without equal. I see it as an engineering job you are qualified by certification to perform with out the B.S. degree (although this would be of immense benefit) and has the potential to reap finacial rewards above and beyond mere mortal welders.
Link up from the posts in this forum (many of the classifieds even state they will accept "green CWI's) and get your reume out through the QC oriented search engines. Hopefully you can find a position under the guidance of a mentor. Rare is the individual who can instantly make the transition from Craftsman to Inspector efficiently.
Like any leap into a new profession, you're going to have to pay your dues to excell. With a "professional attitude" as considered the greatest attribute, you will gain the respect of your peers, help produce better, safer products and make your mark in the industry.
1)Never quote the code without the book open to that page, 2)walk fast, 3)act concerned and 4)don't say any thing stupid (see rule 1). BTW, I'm good at violating rule 4!
Seriously again, try to get as much additional training and certifications in any and everything ie. NDE, ICC, NACE, API, etc.

Best of luck to you on your new and exciting career path.

John
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 11-20-2008 01:51
Thanks for your advice. I will heed it as best I can. I know there will be alot of things that I will have to learn and  being shown the ropes by a more seasoned inspector would be ideal. It is like most everything else in life; I wasn't good at it at first but with practice and determination I eventually got better. As for the NDE, I have used PT quite alot checking material interfaces on oilfield drill bits and have seen MT and RT used. Once I get my foot in the door with an inspection company I plan to got for PT, MT, and possibly UT although I hear UT can be demanding; at least theory wise. I apologize for carring on and I will end it here.Again, thanks for the advice and have a good night.         Matt
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-20-2008 03:53 Edited 11-20-2008 11:19
"Be careful what you ask for"...that can sure bite back sometimes!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 11-19-2008 21:18
unclematt,
With your experience I would try Northwest natural gas, Northwest pipeline, the pipeline union in Tualiton, Oregon iron works, or Harder Mechanical.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 11-20-2008 02:29
Hogan,
  Thanks for the reply. I am interested in working on pipelines. Most of my welding career was spent in a fab shop inside pressure vessels and degassers and with chasing pipelines would get me outside in the fresh air. I might be careful what I ask for though. It can get mighty cold up north I hear. Here in Cut-n-Shoot, Tx it rarely gets below freezing. We do have the occasional hurricane to deal with. I am willing to go just about anywhere to get the experience I need and look forward to my new career; whatever it might have instore for me. I would like to go to Oregon again. It is a beautiful state; what I saw of it. Anyway, thanks Hogan. Have a good evening.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-20-2008 14:02
unclematt,
You no what they say when you "assume" something. Good luck
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Just passed CWI