Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASNI B30.20 AWS D14.1/ASME BTH-1
- - By whip (*) Date 11-19-2008 03:58
I've been asked to look into the fabrication of a Spreader Bar. The proposal calls for the Bar to be built to comply to ASNI B30.20. which states that all welding must be done in accordance to AWS D1.1. And it must be built by a Qualified fabricator in accordance with ANSI/AWS D14.1 and ASME BTH-1.     ASNI B30.20 tells you all welding must be done to D1.1, load test it, VT for deformation,cracks and other defects. BTH-1 tells you it must be designed and fabricated to B30-20 and BTH-1, Then reading on refers you to 14.2.5.2 which leads you to Lifter Bar and Load Test which gives you a Weight % Hold time for your inspection then states a Qualified Inspector shall preform by VT, PT examination or MT examination. I unfortunately I don't have a copy of the D14.1 but I believe it will require the Bar to be MT inspected, and anything else I don't know? This being, I cant be sure of the true meaning of a "Qualified Fabricator"?  Anyone have any knowledge of this as I would like to give them as complete of a answer as I can adding the fact that I do not have the D14.1, therefore my answer will be limited.

Whip
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2008 13:17
It seems a bit ambiguous to specify both D1.1 and D14.1.

D14.1 deals specifically with materials handling hoists, cranes, etc. where as D1.1 is for structural steel. I'm not sure how D14.1 would tie into the fabrication of the spreader beam.

I'm not familiar with ASNI B30.20 or ASME BTH-1. I suspect one or both of those documents relate to the allowable stresses and other design requirements where as the AWS documents relate to the welding of the various components.

What you didn't tell us was whether you are simply fabricating something that has already been designed or if you are responsible for the design as well as the fabrication.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By whip (*) Date 11-20-2008 03:29
AL, ASNI B30.20 applies to structural and mechanical lifting devices. The customer has specified in the bid that it must comply with that standard,which states in 20-1.2.2 (a)  All welding shall be in accordance with ANSI/AWS D1.1. ASME BTH-1, It states that it provides the requirements for below -the- hook lifting devices and implements the requirements of ASME B30.20. And your right on Al, they do relate to the Design & Fabrication ,Testing, Marking, Modification/Re rating, Guarding, frequent, Periodic, Operational Test, Rated Load Test Maintenance, Training/Qualification. I was just asked to give my opinion on what I know would be there responsibility and requirements as a Fab.Shop to build it.They are a new outfit that is really trying to run a Quality & professional business and they ask me for help from time to time. Anyway I gave them what I knew but the fact remains I do not have a D14.1 therefore My assessment is incomplete and I do not know what the D14.1 might change in the Inspection Requirements and the meaning of "Qualified fabricator" As the bid states it must be build by. I have my own ideas, but with out the D14.1 their just ideas and that will not fly. I suggested that they call the Engineer and straighten the remaining questions out. They did not know they could do this. They called me back and said it worked, problem solved. I'm buying a D14.1

WHIP.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 04:01
AWS Sections are provided a copy of all the AWS standards. These libraries are typically available to all members of the section. Assuming you are a member of a section, ask the chairperson to borrow the standard you would like to review.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASNI B30.20 AWS D14.1/ASME BTH-1