Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Automotive Mess
- - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-19-2008 17:10
How many people would give up a dollar an hour of their pay so that the automotive people wouldn't have to suffer? How about 50 cents an hour?

That's the informal poll I've been asking to all the people I know lately.  Most say no to both questions.

One person said he would if and only if the UAW was demolished and the workers received a 50% pay cut, like American Axle, or the bankrupt airlines (Delta and United?).

What do welders think? Give 'em more cash so that they don't have to reduce their standard of living?

Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-19-2008 18:19 Edited 11-19-2008 18:22
I would be willing to do that the day I look out in my driveway and see a BRAND NEW high end vehicle with a pretty bow and a thank you card on it. Preferably an Escalade. Of course I will expect a new one every three years for as long as I am contributing.:-) Pretty good trade as far as I am concerned, I get a new ride and they get to keep their cushy lifestyles. 

I am not going to hold my breath though, and I would not suggest that they do it either.

So until that happens, my answer to that question is HE** NO!!!

jrw159
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-19-2008 18:20
Smash 'em.  They have been paid too much for too long.  Its a global market that we are living in.  Evolve or go extinct.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-19-2008 19:07
When I worked for GM I gave the UAW $50 or so a month in dues. They got plenty of my money then. The automotive problem is a combination of elitist ideology, a stubborn refusal to change with the times & poor management of their money. I sure don't want to see them close either of the two GM plants here in my town, but they did it to themselves & now both union & management will have to make major changes to continue to exist.

As far as giving any of my money to keep them afloat...........Well, since I have to pay taxes & if a bailout package does happen, I guess I won't have much say in that either way.

The union doesn't have to be busted out to see the changes happen, they only have to make some pretty heavy sacrifices, as do their management counterparts. Doubtful either side will budge. Too many people are used to the standard of living they have come to enjoy.

Even with a hefty bailout, the ship's still sinking & no amount of money is going to fix a system that is broken & unprofitable. It will only prolong the inevitable, which is a major restructuring & slashing labor's wages & benefits. Most likely bankruptcy followed by a huge union strike & the eventual replacing of union labor with lower cost non union free hires. Sure, they will offer the union the same deal the airlines offered theirs & some will go back, but at $15/hr & paying a share of their health benefits. The UAW will change with the times, or totally evaporate in the principals of their stubbornness. I'm sure the execs will make sure they're well protected though.

S.W.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-19-2008 20:32
How many people would give up a dollar an hour of their pay so that the automotive people wouldn't have to suffer?

I wouldn't piss in their mouths if their teeth were on fire.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-20-2008 04:36 Edited 11-20-2008 10:38
I agree
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Automotive Mess