Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Help on Part B of CWI exam
- - By sinclair56 Date 11-19-2008 21:52
I just recently went though the 1 week course for my CWI and bombed the part B exam, we only went over that part for 1/2 of a day in class. I do know that I need to study the fake code book that I got, but is there any other advice that I can get, before I retake the test?? Thanks Jeremy
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 11-20-2008 02:39
Jeremy,
  Sorry to hear of your results on Part B. I had to take Part B twice to pass; which I barely did, but passed. I don't know what advice I could give you other than study until you think you have it. Then study some more. Also, remember to look at the foot notes. When I went the first time I studied for a solid 2 months and did fairly well with the other two parts but Part B kicked my tail. Use all the time they give you and read the questions carefully. Best of luck to you.    Matt
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 11-20-2008 09:23
Don't think of the provided "code" as fake.   It IS the standard you are contracted to use to assess the weldments.  If I wanted you to reject anything that didnt look like solid gold from a golden geeses anal cavity then that's what standard you would use,  So the standard they supply is THE standard you WILL use. In my experience I used only a few pages from the codebook, all the others were filler material inserted to make me navigate the code.  Surely you have a clue where you might have felt  a bit lost or unsure during the test.  Focus on doing the math correctly with proper conversions from metric to SI.  The part "B" is you providing proof you can do your job..........Just assess the weld in accordance with the provided code.   You'll do fine on the next one.  Just keep going till you pass, then take a deep breath and relax.............then start studying and learning again, and again, and........................
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 13:51
Part B is the one that gets the great majority of those who have trouble the first time. Fortunately its the same Part B every time. Study it.
The other thing is, and this is just my opinion, I suspect that the majority of seminar instructors have the bulk of their professional experience in areas other than practical applications, even though they may be CWI's or SCWI's themselves and spent some time on the shop floor or in the field. And they will concentrate on their own strengths. Either that or its the standard curriculum. I'd be interested to know.
I have a problem with Part B being the most difficult portion of the test for most people and yet they do seem to spend the least time on it. My seminar spent far more time on metallurgy. If it isn't because of the above reasons I'd be curious as to why.
You spend a full day, or even a day and a half, or two days on Part B and watch the success rate go up.
Now some might argue this is teaching you to pass the test. I would counter by saying its a CWI test not a CWM (certified welding metallurgist) test.
I have always thought that the CWI program emphasizes things more suited to welding engineers. You do not need to understand transformation diagrams or arc physics to use a fillet gage. You don't need to understand transformation diagrams AT ALL. Though well rounded knowledge is of value. And I also believe that this modicum of information in these areas also contributes to some enthusiastic CWI's overstepping their authority from time to time thinking that they understand more than they actually do.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-20-2008 14:28
js55,
"Fortunately its the same Part B every time. Study it."
"You spend a full day, or even a day and a half, or two days on Part B and watch the success rate go up."
"Now some might argue this is teaching you to pass the test"
I would have to be one of those people. You need to be teaching people how to understand code structure. How to look at the table of contents and have the ability to break down the code into processes/categories. How to look at all references in a stated requirement. The purpose of part b is to test the ability of a potential inspector to pick up any code and work to it in a short amount of time. Typically we do not work to just one code.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-20-2008 14:17
What type of math is there on the exams?  Has anyone every used the Practice Test from the AWS bookstore?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 15:00
Bryon,
Tensile specimen/tensile strength calcs, heat input calcs, etc. Very basic stuff. And you can use a calculator.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 15:19
Something to watch out for is that they will give you two good answers for some calc questions. The standard AND the metric. If you jump the gun and, say for example, A is the correct answer, when the correct metric was there also in say D, you missed the question. The correct answer would be A and D.
Personally I think test tricks like that are stupid. Its supposed to test your knowledge not how thorough and careful you take a test. Especially when there's a time limit.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-20-2008 16:09
I don't think that every test is the same.  I counted almost 1/2 of the test questions to be about the replicas once.  The time before that when I took the test it seemed to focus more on math. 

The math is basic, except...know how to convert to and from metrics and US.  The calibrators, micrometers, and other tool are metric (some people in my group had a lot of trouble reading/converting the instruments). 

The questions are grouped.  I mean that you solve one math problem for question #1, and then questions #2, #3, and #4 depend on your answer to number #1.

Again, the math is basic, but you have to know it.

The test replicas look like extremely poor welds.  I doubt you'd allow any welder to weld welds if they looked like the replicas.  But they're good.  The trick is to know which tool to use to measure a particular defect, and what is the allowable acceptance of the defect.  There seemed to be a lot of borderline stuff.  Stuff you could spend too much time considering. 

I think the test is basic, but you have to know it. 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 16:16
The good news is all of the conversions are in the front of the Part B book. You do not need to memorize them.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 11-20-2008 16:47
Someone said earlier to read the questions carefully. In my opinion, that is the big one. Read the questions all the way to the END. There are many questions that start off leading you one way, and a key word in the question (usually at the end of the question) will change the whole meaning of what they are asking. Don't assume you know the answer, and even if you do, you should have time to find it. Keep an eye out for detail and fine print. Read all the sub notes, as this is where many of the answers are "hidden". Most times (IMO) your first gut feeling will be the right answer, be careful, as some of the other answers may be partially correct, but can be misleading. And as you probably found out, it's easy to talk yourself out of making the right choice.

Jason
Parent - - By sinclair56 Date 11-20-2008 17:15
Thank you for all of your replys, everyone's advice was great, I will study up for the next 2 months and hopefully pass the exam in Jan. Thanks agian!!
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-20-2008 18:09
U know where u are gonna take the test yet.
Parent - - By sinclair56 Date 11-20-2008 18:43
Not yet for sure, ethier Beaumont, TX. or Corpus Christi, TX. or even Denver, CO., I'm waiting on my supervisor and accounting to work out the details (Flight, check approval, ect.) I'm sure I will be going wherever they can get the lowest cost on flight & hotel.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-20-2008 19:41
I am planning to take my seminar in Beaumont.  I was wondering if anyone has had the seminar with John Husfeld instructing?  I have had some people recommend other instructors but I have heard nothing about this guy.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-20-2008 20:22
I bet he is pretty good.  I googled his name I found this...

http://www.marekbros.com/news/GHCCD.html

He is mentioned at the end of this article and I am led to believe that this won't be his first time teaching a class.
Parent - - By sinclair56 Date 11-20-2008 20:34
I had John Husfeld for my instructor here in Tulsa, OK. and I thought he was pretty good to listen to, he seemed to understand what he was teaching, as in been there, done that, not just someone who reads from the book. He uses alot of good analogies that alot of people can relate to which helped me. I would say that I wish he spent a little more time on how to use these code books, which was my downfall taking the test, becuase I have been a welder in the field for about 10 years, and was familer with some NDT's and processes but have very little training on code books. I took my CWI on API 1104 and I would say 60%-70% of the test questions was back in appendix A, and in-service piping and they like to base alot of their questions on the foot notes, so watch them.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 11-20-2008 22:53
John Husfeld is an AWESOME insturctor (IMO). He was the instructor for the seminar I took in Phoenix back in June. He was totally dedicated to giving every person the best opportunity to pass the test. He was never late, didn't end the classes early, stayed on topic, answered every question, and stayed after class for one on one with anybody who felt they needed a little extra help. I felt that if I failed the test, it was my fault, and not because of a poor instructor. I passed the test the first time, and I feel John was a big part of my success in doing so.

Jason
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2008 23:47
I'll add a vote for John Husfeld as well.  Excellent instructor, great examples, took time in some very needed areas to go more in depth so people could understand why things work the way they do- metallurgy for one.  Very professional, personal, down to earth, easy to understand.

Flamin- That was where I went as well.  Temps were a little warm in Phoenix in June, classroom even got a little warm a couple times and not from the conversation.

As others have already said,  stay at the motel, spend your time studying not driving, socializing, visiting with friends or family.  You may be able to do both, but I would not suggest it.  Study the code book front to back.  Study the Part B that they send you in the mail.  I don't believe all tests are the same, but I think all the Part B books are.  Make sure you run the formulas for what ever question according to what they give you in the question, not from memory.  Can't think of anything else right now.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-21-2008 00:32
Thanks all.  I think that I will have to give it a shot then.  I just wanted to ask about this guy because of some posts that I have read with peoples' displeasure in their instructor.  I too have had the "horrible" teacher in a variety of courses in the past and it showed in my grade.  If at all possible I will give his seminar a chance.  Thanks again.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Help on Part B of CWI exam