Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR Essential variables and WPS and Welder Qualification
- - By zippy Date 11-20-2008 06:16
I have a PQR from another plant at work which is a GMAW Pulsed DCEP.  We have no pulsed machines.  I told my boss that this is an Essential Variable.  He says no.  I think we need to get a pulse machine or do are own PQR.  My next problem is they want to do the root 3G downhill the rest 1G.  We do not have a 3G downhill WPS or Welder Qualified to that position.  So if we do our own PQR  and make a WPS the welder that does the test will be qualified 3G and 1G.  What well be the ranges qualified be if it is a 1/2" plate.  The rest of the welders would just qualify to the WPS.  This is a open root no backgouge so it can't be prequalified.

Any input would be appreciated.        
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2008 07:43
Welcome to the Forum Zippy!

You haven't told us what code you are trying to comply to so it is impossible to give you solid answers...

But so far this story does not appear to pass the smell test...........  I think you are correct (at least in most cases) that the GMAWP is an essencial variable (with the possible exception of ASME IX)....

And doing a root in 3G and balance 1-G ???????   Nice try,  But I think in most cases especially for welder performance qualification that if you want to be qualified in multiple positons you need to to do multiple tests in multiple positions... unless you elect to test on Pipe 6G

I'm all for doing the least amount of work.. But I think this one may be going a bit too far.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-20-2008 13:35
I would say if you and your boss have a disagreement on whether or not pulsing is an essential variable it indicates to me you don't have access to your code of qualification. I'd suggest you get one. The variables are unambiguous in virtually every code I've ever dealt with. Besides, if you don't have a COQ in your possession your pulsing/position problem will be the least of it.
Parent - - By zippy Date 11-20-2008 16:36
Sorry about the lack of info I posted that after work.  We work to D1.1. the joint is a single bevel groove CJP. 1/8" root opening, root face is 1/16", 45 degree groove angle. The material is ASTM 572 GR65 to ASTM 572 GR65 and is a1/2" thick.  Again I feel that GMAW pulse is a PQR essential variable.  Our company merged with a large international company with many plants.  So production just wants to use any of the other plants WPS regardless if we have the equipment or have the qualified personnel.  If we do the PQR to the 3G root and the rest 1G then make our WPS.  Qualify the welders to the WPS.  Doesn't that meet the requirements of the code.  Aren't you showing by the testing that the PQR and the welder certs are sound.  I am just studing to take the CWI exam so I am not sure.  
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 11-20-2008 17:07
Table 4.5 answers your question about essential variables.  Table 4.1 answers your question about which test positions qualify which production positions.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 11-20-2008 18:35 Edited 11-20-2008 18:44
Well, right off the bat since you don't have a machine capable of pulsing, your current WPS is not good because a change in mode of transfer is an essential variable in D1.1.  So you have to write a new WPS anyway to be legal so why not do it all in the flat to start out with?  You really need a copy of the code book if you are doing code work.  I use mine so much it's falling apart. ;-)

Just write another WPS in the prequalified category. If all of your other variables fall under prequalified.
Parent - - By zippy Date 11-20-2008 22:57 Edited 11-21-2008 01:38
I can't do a prequalified WPS because they want to do an open root no back gouge.  I already suggested doing the whole PQR 1G.  If they insist on the 3G root down hill and fill 1G.  Then I guess we should do is a 3G down hill PQR and a 1G WPS.  Since the 1G is just a fill we could do that with a backup and that could be prequalified.  Then write another  WPS for the combination of both referencing the 3G and 1G as supporting the combination.  Would we need to also qualify the welders to the combination WPS or since they would qualified 1G and 3G we would just need a the WPS showing the 3g root and 1G fill. As for the code book their was a 2008 D1.1 code book left on my desk today.

Thanks for the help
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-21-2008 13:07
Is your management getting in your way?  You say "them" and I assume "they" are management.  That code book will be your only ally, man.  I strongly recommend you be thoroughly familiar with it.  That way, when "they" tell you one thing, you can tell them how it really is.  Just be a little tactful! 

As for the qualification; I guess the reason for the new procedure is a job requirement in a contract?  The reason I ask is because many contracts specify the code to be utilized, but do not make concessions for additional costs of procedure development, personnel qualification, etc.  It also can't hurt to have the contract specify who is the EOR and what the procedure is for making changes to the weld schedules.  Just a couple thoughts.  Good luck, and hang in there!  Not everyone wants to 1/2 @ss the job.
Parent - By zippy Date 11-25-2008 02:25
Management finally gave up. 
We are going to do our own 1G PQR this week.

Thanks
zippy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR Essential variables and WPS and Welder Qualification