Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Cheater bar
- - By Sberry (***) Date 11-20-2008 23:15
It was born when we needed a cheater on an end wrench installing a transmission on a bulldozer where clearance was an issue. It could be tuned a bit better with one of the bolts offset a bit so it can be flipped over to tune for 1/16 turns, really fussy places. I see people using 2 wrenches, not real fond of that idea.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-21-2008 03:14
not a bad idea. Personally we just found a piece of pipe that had an I.D an inch or so bigger than the the wrench. That was always our low tech solution that involved no fab
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 11-21-2008 16:13
That might have worked in this case if we hammered the pipe flat, as I recall there was some reason we did what we did and it just kind of hung around and has a universal fit. Just trying to be entertaining,,, ha.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-21-2008 16:13
When I used to ride the steering clutches on the D7, my boss would ream me royally.  Something about how hard it was to replace the steering clutches.  Is this what that tool makes easier?  I wish I knew about this back then.

Bob G.
Parent - - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 11-23-2008 00:57
Also when using a ratchet and socket you can use a piece of tubing over the handle ton increase leverage
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-24-2008 15:50
Some companies frown on cheater bars and such.  Be sure to check your companies safety manual or contact the safety department before using any cheater.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-24-2008 23:42
Of course not that's why it's called a cheater.  :)  Don't think ag dept beaurocrat gov egg heads cared whether I had a 6 ft. pipe on a 48" pipe wrench to tighten a disk plow axle nut this summer?  :)  Wrench made by some company no longer in business probably 50 years old so warranty is long out anyway. 
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-25-2008 00:50
Oh they are handy.  Hydrotesting 2000# on spools at a pipe shop in the mid 90's you had to get some bolts TIGHT to get the flanges to hold.  6 ft cheaters, hammer wrenches, whatever it took.   It sure wasnt the welds that were leaking.   That was before I had to rock a faceshield when grinding.  What was fall protection?  Monogoggles? 

Be careful and get it done. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Cheater bar