Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stress relief
- - By Todd Bitter (*) Date 11-16-2001 12:54
Can anyone tell me were I can find info on stress relieving. (per codes)Regarding requirment on NDT being performed before or after stress relief.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 11-16-2001 16:13
Most codes, standards or specifications require final NDT to be performed after PWHT. This is due to the fact that cracking may occur during this process.
Parent - By - Date 11-16-2001 17:57
If it is pressure vessels you are interested in, then ASME 8 gives this info. As I do not have the code with me, (answering from home) I can not give you the section reference. Spending a little time with the code will give you the answers you want.

If you want actual section references, let me know and I will check this up for you on Monday.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Kamaruzaman (*) Date 11-17-2001 02:04
ASME/ANSI - B 31.1
ASME/ANSI - B 31.3
ASME/ANSI - B 31.8
ASME Sec VIII Div1,2
API 650
API 620
API 1104

From my statistic there is 0.5% rej due to ASR RT inspections.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-18-2001 05:53
What codes are you working to? I believe ASME III requires surface examinations (PT or MT) to be repeated after stress relief is complete. RT may be performed before or after stress relief. ANSI B31.1 does not specify whether to perform NDE before or after stress relief. But, why go to the trouble to perform stress relief before you know if it will pass NDE exams. It is really an economic decision, i.e. do you want to take the chance it will fail NDE and you have to repair the weld AND re-perform the stress relief.

Marty
Parent - - By DPWeber (*) Date 11-19-2001 00:50
My preference was always to RT prior to and after PWHT. Always thought the after PWHT shot was a waste of money until I had one fail in HAZ after PWHT. To agree with Marty, have never seen in B31.1 where it was specified when PWHT of NDE'd joints must occur, but have had folks tell me it does. Is this clarified in an interpretation, code case, or am I missing something?
Parent - - By Todd Bitter (*) Date 11-19-2001 18:48
Thank's to all that replied. I am working with AWS D1.5 and can not find any info regarding this subject. From experience I have always performed NDT after PWHT. If the contractor wants to perform NDT before PWHT it is at his cost. Final NDT will be performed after PWHT to insure no defects developed from the process. Once again thanks.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-19-2001 22:33
Maybe this will help.
D1.5 seems to treat stress relieving differently than PWHT, although Sec 12.15.2 tells us any heating above 900deg F by sources other than welding (with some exceptions) is considered PWHT. At least for Fracture Critical concerns.

The latter part of Sec 12.15.2.5 says that MT or UT when required must be either repeated or performed after everything cools to ambient temps.

12.15.2.2 says the weldment shall not be allowed to cool below the minimum preheat or interpass temp before being raised to PWHT temp.

Section 9.21.5.1 says testing may begin after welds have cooled to ambient temps.

Since you stated PWHT instead of Stress Relief Heat Treatment, I assume you might be dealing with FCP weldments.

So, if Section 12 is applicable in your situation, you're not supposed to cool the weldment enough to be able to do NDT before you begin PWHT. And, if NDT had been done, it would be the same as "informational-only" because you'll have to do it again for acceptance.

There are still a few holes in all of this in that RT is not mentioned in 12.15.2.5, only MT and UT. Also Section 4.4.2.3 and Table 4.6 indicate it is possible to stress relieve at 900 deg F which may or may not be considered PWHT but would be thermal stress relieving (I'm still fuzzy on what the real difference is, they seem the same to me).

But, 12.15.2.1 says the Engineer's approval is required. So that could be your saving clause or your dissapointment, depending on the answer.

Now that I've thoroughly confused myself at this late hour, all I have left to say is good luck.
CHGuilford

Parent - By Todd Bitter (*) Date 11-20-2001 13:22
Thanks for all the feed back!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stress relief