Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Secret Ballots on Union Votes
- - By js55 (*****) Date 11-21-2008 14:48
In an effort to eliminate secret balloting for Union elections they are at it again. Legislation is proposed that would virtually eleminate secret balloting for Union elections exposing those who oppose unionizing to fear and intimidation.
I'm not even going to mention who is for it. But I will say this, I heard George McGovern is against it. Good for him. Now I didn't even think George was still kickin around to be honest. So I'm not sure of the validity of this, but if so, just how far to the left do you need to be if George is against it?

Opinions?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-21-2008 14:58
Intimidation?  Who's afraid?  All I remember from Lansing when I was a kid was the UAW ganging up on cars that tired to cross the strike lines. They would get about 20 people on the side of the car and rock it back an forth until it rolled over!
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 11-21-2008 17:37
Glad I live in Texas.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-21-2008 18:39
I lived in Texas for 7 years. I now live in Ohio. Just in time to witness the appalling corruption they call an election process around here. If you "intend" on moving to Ohio, you can vote here. Never mind how you justify intent. You don't have to justify it. A stay at the Holiday Inn is good enough. Hell, the time it takes to eat a plate of nachos at the Chili's in Columbus airport is good enough. I ain't kiddin. And never mind if you vote somewhere else as well.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 11-23-2008 00:39
it is true. in OH if you stay in an extended stay type motel one night you are a legal resident.
Parent - By 63 Max (***) Date 11-23-2008 18:17
Most people dont understand what an open ballot really means. If an organizer for a union comes to you and says something like I just want you to sign this card so we can talk to your company and see what we can come up with and they get 50% plus 1 person to do that then your company is union. That's if it passes the Senate. The way it is now is if the people working think they may want a union then they contact the union and if they get enough people interested in the union then the union and company have 90 days to state their sides then the employees vote on it. If this passes the Senate there will be alot of company's going union that's for sure. I'm not knocking the unions but in my case the company I work for treat us very good. If I have a problem I can go to the owner and he always looks into the problem and gets back to us. They also pay us pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Welders range for 59 -65 an hour plus 10 an hour in benifits. The hourly rate includes 15 for rig and 9 for perdiem, the 10 hour for benifits include 8 for medical, dental and vision and 2 for 401K profit sharing. The biggest thing is I know I work all year with the same company and if we need time off they work with us. I have friends and relatives that work for Locals 190 and 798 and they are happy so i'm not going to knock either of them. This is just my 2 cents.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Secret Ballots on Union Votes