Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Weldability of Al and report on shielding gass supply
- - By sazid98 (*) Date 11-23-2008 05:41
Hi,

I would like to have advices and suggestion on the following two topics

1. why some grades of Al are not preferable for elding like 2XXX series where as some of the grades are quite good for welding like 6XXX or 5XXX series. i would like ot have a detailed source where it explains the reasons.

2. i am looking for different ways of supplying shielding gass in welding in details. like coaxial with electrode, as flux coated on electrode etc.

thank you.

any type of suggestion will be very welcomed

Regards

Sazid

Columbia university
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-23-2008 23:06
Hello Sazid, I believe the short answer to your question is because of the alloying elements that are used in certain grades of aluminum, namely zinc. When welding is attempted on these specific grades there is a volatilization of the zinc causing possible internal porosity and also reduction of the zinc possibly causing considerable mechanical strength reduction as well. I'm sure that there are others who could address this much more specifically, yet I believe I have given you a bit of the reason. If you google "aluminum alloys and their weld ability", I believe you will find many more of the specifics to support this train of thought. Try looking for Alcoa Aluminum, or possibly Reynolds Aluminum, I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now. A little bit to consider. Best regards, Allan 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Weldability of Al and report on shielding gass supply