Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aluminized steel
- - By bogieman84 (*) Date 11-23-2008 06:00
I tig weld aluminized pipes. i have a vacum system i use but the other guy does not use his. i have tryed for some time to have the forman talk to him. does not work very well. i have noticed i cant breath very well anymore, im having lots of troubles. can anyone tell me how bad the fumes are on my lungs. i also have asthma so that makes it even worse. i didnt know if it was the fumes or if im just always having problems cause of the asthma. its been worse the last year. any info would be good.  thanks
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 11-23-2008 22:08
aluminized or galvenized? if it's galvenized you may be breathing in the dross fumes and that is realy bad it makes you fill like you have pneummonia it's basicly killing your lungs.
Parent - By bogieman84 (*) Date 11-24-2008 06:45
its aluminized not really like galvenized at all. im having trouble finding out info on the fumes.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2008 15:05
Bogieman,

If you have sesitive lungs, which you would if you have asthma, then any of the fumes and dusts associated with welding and shops in general are going to give you problems with your breathing.  If you like what you are doing then beyond trying to persuade the others to use their exhaust systems you probably need to consider a positve flow hood/respirator system or at least a good respirator.  There are several low profile ones that will fit under your hood. I have preferred the ones with hoses to a filter pack on my belt on my back.  Keeps the filters away from more of the dust and smoke so they don't need as much replacing.

The aluminized pipe should not be nearly as bad as galvanized but will put off fumes that are affecting you lungs.  Good luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aluminized steel